Hope X2 Brakes, XT Shifters

Bluestoesonnose
Bluestoesonnose Posts: 372
edited September 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
Just built a new bike up using Hope X2 Brakes and XT Shifter, trouble is the bulkyness of the leavers and their span adjusters makes it almost impossible to use the down shifter with my fore finger. Anyone else had this issue, if so how did you get over it?

Cheers
This is why!

Comments

• tombate911
    tombate911 Posts: 1,590
    why not just use your thumb for both shifts up and down, which will leave you to do proper 1 finger braking with your forefinger, it doesnt solve the problem but its a suggestion :D
  • ian_worby
    ian_worby Posts: 331
    Hope are apparently making a match maker (a la Avid/SRAM) type mount for xt/slx/saint shifters at the minute to get over this issue (if you're using the newer XT shifters which have the inboard/outboard feature that is)

I would give them a ring a see what the score is.
  • Sussed it, you take the indicators off the XT shifters, mount them inside the brake leavers (i.e. next to the grips) and then move them to the inboard position on the mounting (as it shows in the Shimano info as sent with the shifters).

Simples....
    This is why!
  • yeah i had mine like you've just described but have now bought the hope mounts, been available for a good 6 weeks now. looks very neat and gets the position perfect!
  • Happy with the position of the shifters where they are, I don't really see the point in spending another £25 for something that i don't need and for a very marginal weight saving. Just wish Hope had highlighted this issue in the information they sent with the brakes.

Cheers
    This is why!
  • They do send a note and there are details on their site. I think they also include a very high tech shifter indicator hole cover (read: a sticker) in the box!
  • No Sticker in box, dont have a lap top in my garage to check on assembly
    This is why!
  • Do the Hope mounts work with SLX shifters?

And are they the Shimano ones listed on CRC? There is very little info in CRC's product description.
  • Here are only two versions, SRAM and shimano, so if it's def the shimano one then it would fit fine on either slx, xt or xtr. They are worth getting though, look very neat!