Recommend me a trail centre in Wales..

hedache23
hedache23 Posts: 3
edited August 2009 in Routes
..or good place to ride in general.

Hi all,

I'm heading to wales tomorrow and want some ideas for good places to ride. Gonna head to Snowdonia first, then down the coast and back across to Bristol. I'm new to trail centres having just got back into riding recently but would like to check some out.

I'm going with my girlfriend who doesn't like things too technical so anywhere we go would need to have a few easier routes (not too many rocks or drops but climbs and descents are fine). At the same time i want to be able to go off and find something a bit more challenging on my own. I used to do a bit of dirt jumping so anything that allows me to get my bike off the ground would be good!

any ideas?

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Not many dirt jump centres, really.
    If you want trail "centres", with a cafe etc, then Coed y Brenin, and Llandegla (although Llandegla is not technically in Snowdonia) are good places to head to. They also have easier graded routes for your girlfriend.
    Coed y Brenin also has plenty of gnarly, rocky, rough as hell singletrack to keep you amused for weeks!
    If you're after epic trails, that aren't too technically challenging and aren't fussed about facilities, then you could try the Marin trail in Betws y Coed. I'm sure your girlfriend will admire the views, even if the hates the climbs!
  • Trail Centres - The Marin Trail near Betws-y-Coed has some jumps on it that are roll-able if you don't want to get air but you can get reasonable height if you go for it.

Further down you could try Cadair Idris, not a trail centre, a classic mountain - an old school up then back down the same way, but good, I liked it. Start from Llanfihangel-y-Pennant - Google maps

Then maybe Nant-yr-Arian near Aberystwyth (trail centre). There's a few trails, the Summit Trail is pretty good, but you can pick up a map at the centre. Added bonus that you're likely to see loads of red kites there.

Plenty of others as well, I'm sure you'll get other suggestions.

Edit - ^^just did. Took a while to write that post!
  • Cheers guys, Marin trail looks worth a go and I'll probably hit up a couple of the other places too. I'm not bothered about facilities really as I drive a van so can pretty much live out of that for a few days :)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    if I was going to be around, I'd offer to show you some choice trails, but I'm getting ready to head up to glentress!
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    When you head back to bristol, pop past newport and hit Cwm Carn, its a bit rocky and the climb is hard work though you can shoot up a road easily if your lass finds it too rocky.

At the top there is a freeride section with jumpts wall ride and so on, but a x-country alternative that meets back up for your lady. sounds like hte mix your heading for.