I crashed

pastryboy
pastryboy Posts: 1,385
edited September 2009 in Commuting chat
Struggling away in the wind then came the hale beating down on me and stinging my arms, I looked around and scoffed at a group of cyclists cowering under the trees. I powered on like a trooper against a massive head wind barely able to see - oozing manliness.

Arrived at a bridge with a metal suraface with a blind corner at the end, ever the courteous rider I slow down, ring my bell and make sure I'm prepared for anyone less prudent emerging from the blind spot.

Travelling all of about 1mph in position to go around corner - turn front wheel slightly and that's all she wrote. Within a millisecond the front wheel was off the ground.

I'm not entirely sure what happened but I was clipped in so unable to throw my leg out for support . Instead I think I unclipped the wrong way round and ended up with my knee sticking out and landed on it, that caved in and then I landed on my shoulder.

Because it happened so quick I didn't have time to put a hand out which was a good thing, instead I landed on the fleshy part of my shoulder so barely felt a thing there. My knee however hurt like hell.

Checked bike for damage (I was 8 miles from home) and it looked ok (later inspection revealed some scrathes to QR lever and disc brake). Looked up and no one in sight, thank god so got up and rode on as if nothing had happened.

Cycled home with my knee in varying degrees of pain, by the end of the journey it was absolute agony. Sitting at home now and it's starting to swell a bit and still horrendously painful.

I've done 2000 miles since I started cycling to work in May, I've had three crashes - all where my wet front wheel has gone from under me on slippery ground - I feel like I should have learned my lesson by now :roll:

Anyone else managed to do this sort of thing? :oops:

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Yep - barely moving, steel plate surface to a bridge over canal, left turn off it, turned wheel, touched brakes, fell off. Happened about 5 months ago. Still got the evidence on my legs.......
    Faster than a tent.......
  • nigeve
    nigeve Posts: 82
    Not that it’s much of a consolation to you but I’ll try to learn from your lessons and be extra vigilant in the wet…

:(
    Why are you laughing..? I'm not laughing...

14 year old Rocky Mountain Hammer S, still going strong, now on slicks...
  • Yes, very similar indeed. Back in December when it had been icy and then washed away by some rain. I was out on the bike approaching an off road cycle track. Now being off road it doesn't get gritted but I'd been the other way on my way out so knew where the ice was. I also knew that the blind bend at the start of the return journey was covered in slippery rotting leaves that had been there for most of the autumn. Like you I slowed down, tinged my bell, turned the wheel ever so slightly and the front wheel just whipped away.

I knew it was a risk but it still came as a shock. Right hand and right pannier full of shopping broke my fall. My first concern was that I hadn't smashed the eggs!!! :shock: :roll:

Just one of those things I'm afraid. At least you had the sense to slow down. :wink:
    Pain is only weakness leaving the body
  • riderjam
    riderjam Posts: 41
    Maybe time for a new front tyre?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    riderjam wrote:
    Maybe time for a new front tyre?

Wouldn't make any difference. No tyre is going to grip on wet metal.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • pastryboy
    To be fair it's happened on different sets of tyres, they will hold their grip just fine if they're moving straight ahead but even the tiniest bit of lateral movement and you're on your side quicker than you can blink. on a slippy surface and you might as well be on ice.

Few hours on and the pain is unreal - I can't bend my knee without gasping in pain. Think I might just learn my lesson this time, will be unclipped and feet on the ground in future. :(
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    If you slipped on a metal surface contact the council area responsible and ask that they cover the metal in a non-slip surface explaining what happened. I think they should have a moral obligation to limit the risks. :?

A few years back, riding into work one december and hit a patch of ice as I slowed for a junction. The whole bike just kind of went 180 degrees and I landed on my back and cocyx. So painful, I couldnt sit down properly for about 2 weeks.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,700
    If you had a decent front light...

;)
  • hoolio
    hoolio Posts: 139
    And a hi viz vest....
  • hoolio
    hoolio Posts: 139
    I did the winter black ice stack as described above as well.
    Couldn't believe it when the chav smoking a cigarette, cycling no hands, just saunters on by in his tracksuit. Son of a.......
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    hoolio wrote:
    Couldn't believe it when the chav smoking a cigarette, cycling no hands, just saunters on by in his tracksuit. Son of a.......

With mine I heard a driver pull up at the junction all the way over the other side and shout out "..are you still alive!?" :lol:
  • pastryboy
    I'm not sure what the council would say - it's not slippery to pedestrians and I could just go around it and cross the road (it's a pedestrian underpass by a canal).

Thank you for the helpful comments :wink:

I've got a lump there now and I reckon there will be a big bruise around it tomorrow - can't bend my knee at all now without excrutiating pain.

Sympathy from the wife? not a fucking chance :cry:
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    hoolio wrote:

Unfortunately, that is how it works..dunno why..but it does....... :evil:
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    For bruises, you used to be able to get Lasonil...worked wonders.

Now only Hirudiod is available - works though......cracking stuff.
  • Flasheart
    Flasheart Posts: 1,278
    Yep, icy road back in February. Bike just went down on an uphill grade and slid accross the road on top of it. Thankfully no traffic coming the other way and the guy in the 4WD behind me was a cyclist so he was giving me plenty of room anyway. Cycling kit torn up, bike banged up and lots of bike component shaped bruises and me swearing to NEVER EVER ride in icy conditions again. :cry:
    The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle. ...Stapp’s Ironical Paradox Law
    FCN3
    http://img87.yfrog.com/img87/336/mycubeb.jpg
    http://lonelymiddlesomethingguy.blogspot.com/
  • teulk
    teulk Posts: 557
    Same happend to me, was my very first fall with spds. The road was damp and i turned left at like 0.000001 mph and the front wheel just went away and down i went. All happend infront of another rider and how stupid did i feel :oops:
    Boardman Team 09 HT
    Orbea Aqua TTG CT 2010
    Specialized Secteur Elite 2011
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Done it on black ice and also soggy autumn leaves, both times at walking pace. As the OP points out, good that it happens so fast that you don't time to think about putting a hand out....