Got my new bike today :D

suzyb
suzyb Posts: 3,449
edited August 2009 in Commuting chat
Not really been out on a decent ride yet, only a short one around town but it does seem an easier ride.

I have a few questions however.

What can I use to pad out my computer handlebar and fork mounts as I no longer have the rubber pads that came with the computer.

Does wearing a baggy jacket make much of a difference. I'm rather fat so would need a big size of waterproof however that will probably end up being a bit baggy in some places.

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    What bike did you get - you'll need to post pictures or the natives will get restless!

You can get sticky backed foam pads - Wilkinsons or somewhere like that might deliver.

As for waterproofs - I wouldn't worry that much. You'll probably wear it less than you think anyway. You boil in the bag in them a bit and they don't stop you getting wet elsewhere. Unless it is cold I tend not to bother with a waterproof whatever the weather.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Electrical tape works well for me, and should be available in a colour to match your frame (or nearly, anyway...)
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • suzyb
    I put a little electrical tape on the handlebar mount (got plenty, my dads an electrician :P) but I need a bit more padding so I'll have a look for some foam pads tomorrow.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    slice of an old inner tube, lbs should be able to sort you out with that or even some of the rubber strips, we always seem to hundreds of the little things kicking around.
  • blu3cat
    blu3cat Posts: 1,016
    For the baggy jacket, I agree with Rolf F in that you will wear it less than you think. Only really use mine for windproofness / waterproofness in Spring / Autumn and have a thicker non "flappy" one for winter.

"Flappy" jackets will slow you down a little, but if dry is your thing, then it's probably a price worth paying. It's really not that much extra effort, and don't forget like a headwind it'll make you a stronger cyclist.

Oh and "spill the beans" on the bike?
    "Bed is for sleepy people.
    Let's get a kebab and go to a disco."

FCN = 3 - 5
    Colnago World Cup 2
  • suzyb
    Finally got a piccy of the new wheels.
    meh-bike.png

And I went ouf for a decent ride today and did 8.6 miles at an average speed of 8.6mph :lol: Although the headwind coming up the hill back into town no doubt slowed me down a bit. Probably wasn't that strong a headwind but it was enough to slow me down to a virtual stop. I am soooo unfit :(

I also discovered a few new things today.
    1) A bike with non mountain bike types and a wheel that isn't bent therefore doesn't rub the brakes is actually easier to ride.
    2) It's the large vehicles like 4x4s and vans that give you the least room even when there is nothing coming the other way
    3) There is occasionally a kind soul who will stop and wait behind you until oncoming traffic has passed so they can give you plenty of room.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Are your legs really that short?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • suzyb
    Yeah :(

I'm only 5ft tall but didnt' want a womens bike so 16" was the smallest available.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    -null- wrote:

I'm only 5ft tall but didnt' want a womens bike so 16" was the smallest available.

Don't you find the reach too much and the bars too high?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • suzyb
    -null- wrote:

Don't you find the reach too much and the bars too high?
    Not really. Perhaps I would noticed after riding a smaller bike but I'm used to riding a 16" and riding it doesn't cause any pain (although I may just not being cycling long enough for that).
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    @null there's no way that fits you even at 5' your saddle needs at the very least be at the same height as your stem/headset your knees will be too bent causing them to stick out to the sides plus you'll never get any decent speed or be able to ride very far without discomfort, try raising your saddle 1cm each ride until you find the perfect point, trust me you'll enjoy riding so much more and your body will thank you.

but most of all get out and ride :D
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • suzyb
    Tried raising my saddle today. Not sure I really noticed a difference but I think my legs were still a bit tired from yesterday's ride.

One good thing though, my bottom didn't hurt as much afterwards :wink:
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    -null- wrote:
    Tried raising my saddle today. Not sure I really noticed a difference but I think my legs were still a bit tired from yesterday's ride.

One good thing though, my bottom didn't hurt as much afterwards :wink:

That's good, you shouldn't notice small increases but eventually you'll find the right heigh no butt pain or ham strain plus lots more power + distance.

Remember small increments :wink:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    I would agree that you should get saddle up higher. With the pedal at the botton of the turn, you leg should almost, but not quite be straight. It is more comfortable, and does give you more power and better, and more comfortable posture, especially for on roads.

Great looking bike, and I am sure you will have loads of fun on it, its amazing how quickly you get speed up and fitness increases. I am now averaging 16mph on commute and that is via loads of junctions and Maryhill Road!!
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"