Should I risk free Halfords Six week service?

anj747
anj747 Posts: 5
edited September 2009 in The workshop
Hi guys, new to commuting.

Got a Boardman Hybrid Comp, and I must say I'm very happy with it. However when I got the bike, the gears weren't properly indexed (which I managed to do after watching some tutorial Youtube videos) and the disc brakes have started squealing and juddering. I'm now due for my free 6-week service, but after reading about all the horror stories on here, am not sure.

Should I take it to my LBS for a once over and to sort the issues or should I take it to Halfords (Romford branch is my nearest Boardman store).

Anyone else had a six-week service on their Boardman? How'd it go?

Many Thanks - Anj

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Take it back - let them know your concerns first though.

However I think you are on the right lines with learning how to make the basic adjustments.
  • probb66
    probb66 Posts: 11
    The thing you need to remember is that there doesnt seem to be a consistent service level at Halfords. I have had bad experiences with my local storere kids bikes and guess what. I too have a boardman hybrid that cameout with skipping gears. Took it back and it came out with differnt gears skipping so Ive got no confidence in them. I took it to a local bike store and was impressed by personal customer service levels they promoted and that was before they got to the actial mechanics. If you have a good mechanic at your local then use him. If not go to LBS. I also have a years free service / repair policy for Halfords , but I certainly wont be using it.
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    you should fulfil the" first service" though. otherwise they may lay some "well, if you had let us service it as recommended then you wouldn't have this problem now" malarky 6 months down the line when the paint falls off or something else completely unrelated to servicing but that they might use against you.

I'm sure with Halfords (like with so many things) it's going to come down to the individual in the store charged with doing the service. If they're any good, you'll be ok. If not ... well ... at least you've ticked the boxed warranty-wise

Like SS says though, learning to set up your own cables (amongst other things) is a useful skill. The cables will stretch with time and esp on 9 sp systems where tolerances are tight, it's a nice skill to be able to tweak them when needed.
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • Give them a ring, ask them to do the six week service while you wait, make sure its sometime during the week if possible. Should take no longer than 20 - 30 minutes. After its done, give it a try out in the car park. If it is okay, then all well and good. If not then go back in and complain.

Chances are that because you are there overseeing they will take time to do it correctly.
    Make sure a full time member of staff is doing it, which should be the case during weekdays, however there are some good part timers in certain stores.

But as said above, the best thing is to try and learn how to do it yourself, can come in very handy mid ride when the gears are playing up.
  • Thanks guys!

I did get them to do it on a weekday, I described what I thought needed looking into and then went for a look around the local business park shops. They told me it'd be done in a hour since the servicing guy was on lunch. Surely I got a ring on time telling me it was all done, and once there the staff explained to me what they'd done and even gave me some tips on doing it myself.

Everything seems ok and the rear disc brake squealing has disappeared also! Result! Looks like my worries were unfounded. However I think this is partly due to going there on a weekday as some of you advised. I have found staff a little less confidence-inspiring on weekends when I went to look for a bike for the Mrs!

Phew! Thanks guys, back to my daily commute! Hoorah!