Fort William closure

dalio66
dalio66 Posts: 3
edited September 2009 in Routes
Hiya

Me and the lads are planning one last "weekend away biking" before the winter sets in.... we were planning on going back to Laggan and Fort William for a weekend... however, just checked on nevis range website and it says that they close on 13th sep... 2 weeks before we were going!! Bummer. Anyway, was wondering.... if the gondola is shut... is it still possibe to get up there?? I.e push up... how long does that take???? Otherwise we're heading for Moray but my mate really wants to have a go on the 2 fort william runs. Anyone in the know on this one??
My only other option is to sack off my holiday with the mrs tomorrow and go to scotland instead..... but then i'll get divorced too.
cheers
Dalio

Comments

• woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    The gondola stops for the haggis mating season. The whirring and clicking noises put them off their stride.
  • There are the other trails round fort william. Although if it's the downhill you're specifically after then...I walked half way up it at the world cup, i'm glad i didn't have my bike. That's just my opinion though.

the magazine What mountain bike has a feature on the fort william trails this month if you wanted to check it out.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Pushing up would be a gigantic ******** of a job. Sorry. I wouldn't even consider it myself, I'm sure some would but IMO they're insane, it's 5-10 minutes on the DH or sub-20 minutes on the red and it'll take a long time to get up, even assuming you don't get lost (there's no marked access roads, which is why they helicopter all the hardware in)

The other trails are nice enough but not worth the trip, I'd say. Go somewhere you can ride up or designed for pushing up, like innerleithen, would be a better idea.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • CFS
    CFS Posts: 124
    By Moray do you mean Moray monster?

If so you'd be better going to Golspie Wildcat, a little further from Laggan but much better.
    Shot by both sides...
  • chick0
    chick0 Posts: 338
    CFS wrote:
    By Moray do you mean Moray monster?

If so you'd be better going to Golspie Wildcat, a little further from Laggan but much better.

Have to agree on this one, the Moray Monster trails are nothing special, not really worth traveling distance for only a few good sections that these trails have to offer..
  • The trails are closed in winter for their own good i.e. to avoid damaging the trails during bad weather. I don't know if they'd take too kindly to folk riding on them when they're closed.