'Classic' Peugeot - ebay bargain or horror?

callahan
callahan Posts: 12
edited August 2009 in Road buying advice
Morning

Can anyone give me some advice on the bike shown here: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290342638337&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:GB:1123

I've been banned from buying a new bike and my boss won't consider the Cycle to work scheme, so cheap and cheerful is the only option...

Thanks for any advice / target prices etc.

Comments

• It's an old bike. Peugeot Aspin. 20 years old. It's the one I wanted aged 13 or so, which I didn't get. Back then it was the cheapest in Peugeot's racer range. £100 or so.

Even at £40 I wouldn't bother.

In my parents' garage I still have an old Raleigh Team Corsa (501 frame) and sometimes I think yeah that'd be cool to ride about on in London but then the headset is near shot, gears slip etc etc.

Just get a cheap hybrid. There are loads.
  • Although its price may go up much more than the Aspin, I'd rather pay a bit more for this or something like it
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Claud-Butler-Roub ... 500wt_1182
  • callahan
    I've added that to my watch list, thanks for the info.

My brother had a Claude Butler as his first 'serious' bike back in the 70's, it's nice to know they're still going.

If anyone spots any more crazy bargains out there, I would be very happy to know. :)

Cheers
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    The good thing about the Peugeot Aspin is the 'original owner' seems to be selling it. At least it hasn't been passed around or so it seems.

As to whether to buy or not, what's it worth to you. 40 quid is not a lot but whether you want to replace like for like or 'modernise' it or not would be up to you. Original parts availability is always going to be an issue.
  • If you live in London or a big city then look at Gumtree. Or try some of the bikeshops around selling old hybrids and racers. If in London I wouldn't buy from Brick Lane market etc on principle as a lot of them are nicked.
  • callahan
    I'm not far south of Cambridge, so the Claude Butler and the Pug were both within reach.

Didn't someone get stabbed recently when they went to buy a car from Gumtree? I'll have a (careful) look at North London though.

I was tempted by the 'original owner' bit for the Pug too, but I was just looking for an improvement over my cheap (and a bit nasty) Apollo hybrid from Halfords I stupidly bought a couple of years ago....

Thanks
  • callahan
    The Claud Butler went for £175 in the end, a bit more than I would have been willing to pay.