Nokon gear cables

woody-som
woody-som Posts: 1,001
edited August 2009 in Workshop
I've just bought some Nokon Gear cables, and the instructions say that you join the liner with the supplied clear pipe on the chainstay just back from the bottom bracket, my question is why, when the liner will go all the way to the rear gears as 1 length as its long enough, surely 1 piece is better, or is there a reason for the join that I can't work out.

thanks

chris

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    IME it doesn't work with adjustable cable stops on the downtube - they're too narrow to accept the liner - depend on whether you have fixed or adjustable stops on your frame. I always keep covered runs for the brakes - means they're virtually maintenance free - I haven't touched mine in 4 years.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • woody-som
    woody-som Posts: 1,001
    Thanks, I've not got the brake cables, they don't give me any trouble, the gear ones seem more touchy, crap country lanes i guess.

Anyway, installed the liner in one piece, ignoring the instructions, and it works just fine, yes the adjustable downtube cable stops are to small, but the instructions said drill them out using a 2.7mm bit, went and got one and did that, very pleased with them so far, even installing them under the bar tape on the shimano setup looks good. Only real bugbear I have is that I ordered silver to go with the titanium frame, and the liner is black, not much of an issue, but silver would be nice on the downtube.