Checking spring rate on OE Tora 302

bnamim
bnamim Posts: 15
edited August 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
I have the OE Tora 302 coil on my Scott Scale. It does not have a U-turn. I have 2 questions:

1. I want to check the spring rate (for my wt it should be medium and I think it may be firm). So, I need to remove the knob on the left side which controls the pre-load. This knob does not have a screw. So do I remove it b prying it upwards? (I don't want to break it).

2. While looking up cost of new springs, I noticed that for a bit more I could get a U-turn coil and u-turn knob for about GBP30. Is it worth upgrading?

Thanks,
Byas

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What sag are you getting at the minute? Does it feel ok?
  • bnamim
    bnamim Posts: 15
    I have about 0.5" sag. And about 3" travel if i put stand on pedals and put my weight over the handlebar and bounce the bike up and down as I ride slowly.

I bought the bike used. The preload adjust did not seem to change the sag much. And the rebound adjust doesnt='t change the rebound speed as dramatically as I saw on a Youtube video.

I'm pretty new to MTB so thought I'd get myseld familiar by doing the tune up myself. So far I've adjusted the RD, FD, corrected the chain length, adjusted the pedal bearings to eliminate a clicking, and replaced the BB. Next week will bleed the brakes and replace pads once the kit from Evans arrives. That leaves the forks, headset, and hubs for me to mess (up) with. :)

BN
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You remove the spring by taking off the whole topcap - a 24mm spanner or socket is required. There should be a wrap on the spring that is colour coded fot its rate.

Sounds like they need a service as well.