External BB in threaded frame?

fastandfuriousxc
fastandfuriousxc Posts: 183
edited August 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi,

Might seem like an obvious question but can you use an external Bottom Bracket in a threaded frame which is running a truvativ powerspline?

Cheers

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    yes. External BBs screw into the threads on the frame.
  • Thanks,

The thing i couldnt find was that external bottom brackets dont come in frame widths (eg.68 73) So will they fit in any size frame.

Also do the external BB cranksets come with bottom brackets? looking at http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=23241

Many thanks
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yes as you just use the correct number of spacers. there are kits to fit frames wider that 73mm
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Cheers, so they cannot be fitted to a 68mm frame?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yes they can.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Anonymous
    Thanks,

The thing i couldnt find was that external bottom brackets dont come in frame widths (eg.68 73) So will they fit in any size frame.

Also do the external BB cranksets come with bottom brackets? looking at http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=23241

Many thanks
    I've only used Shimano external BB, but I presume Truvativ are the same.
    Shimano BBs will fit either 68 or 73mm shells, you get spacers included to make it fit either size. Also when you buy the chainset, you get the BB with it.

However, a friend of mine had Truvativ Firex cranks on his Norco six, and they kept coming loose all the fricking time - so much so that it became a running joke.
  • Anonymous
    Damn, Nick, you're too fast for me!
  • So do they fit a 68mm frame and then you buy spacers for any size bigger?
  • Anonymous
    Shimano ones come with the spacers supplied to fit 68mm or 73 mm. I presume that Truvativ do the same, as they don't spec BB shell width.
  • Thanks that clears that up,

When you buy a crankset does it allways come with a bottom bracket unless stated as on alot on CRC they include the weight including the bottom bracket but dont actually say if it is included or not.

Thanks for your help again, much appreciated guys
  • Anonymous
    Again, all the shimano ones do. I'm unclear on Truvativs.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Truvative GXP cranks come with the BB.