Farnham, Surrey

drewfromrisca
drewfromrisca Posts: 1,165
edited August 2009 in The bottom bracket
Folks, does anyone on here live/work around this area?

The Wife is applying for a job in Farnham after being made redundant so it's a possibility of relocating from Central London out to there.

It's a bit of a commute for me to Chiswick everyday but I'm ok with that as I'm starting to despise living in the city and not being able to do the things I like doing most (ie cycling, walking dog in countryside, having peace and quiet!) so I'm trying to gauge as to what type of place Farnham is. I think I might have ridden through it once but that doesn't exactly say much.

Cheers All :wink:
There is never redemption, any fool can regret yesterday...

Be Pure! Be Vigilant! Behave!

Comments

• sloboy
    sloboy Posts: 1,139
    Farnham's a reasonable little town - slightly posh town centre, bit of a market town feel by southern home counties standards, but well positioned from a cycling point of view. To the North, MoD land suitable for MTB'ing, to the South, you're into the Downs (North Downs, Hampshire Downs, South Downs) so you're straight into the countryside for very nice road riding.
  • drewfromrisca
    Cheers sloboy.

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I've lived in the area for 20 years - in Fleet, which is just over the hill. It's only a short ride to the north, west and south into decent cycling country - plenty of quiet lanes that keep you away from the busy main roads. There are 3-4 cycling clubs in the area - Farnham RC, mainly TTs, VC Meudon - mainly road racing, Alton CC & Farnborough & Camberley - both a bit of both. Race-wise, there's the Surrey League for road racing or plenty of TT's, particularly on the A31 courses, a few miles down the road at Bentley. There's also Farnham Tri Club, one of the oldest and biggest clubs in the south. What I particularly like is the proximity of the countryside, good urban amenities; crime is low but housing is expensive. There's no limit to the riding, both on and off road - as easy or hard as you like.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    There's also BOB mountain bike club, the largest mountain biking club in the country, and loads of offroad trails to explore......... 8)
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • drewfromrisca
    Well I think she's putting the application in so hopefully it will work out. I am a little worried about the commute but I work 7am-5pm so shouldn't hit the massive surge of commuters in the morning. I'm even thinking of riding in.

• Farnham is nice, I live in Fleet too, but have been looking at houses in Farnham. Quite dificult to find something close to the station though.

It's also directly linked to Alton, where the real Ale train starts!!!!
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I know a few folks who commute into London from this area - selective route planning to avoid the busy roads - generally head towards A30 and through Staines and Feltham in towards the west.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..