Chain Slippage Riddle Me This

blister pus
blister pus Posts: 5,780
edited August 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
No chain ring wear, new cassette (sram) new chain (sram) - chain right length, everything appears to be indexed correctly, everything appears to be adjusted correctly, it shifts pretty sweetly, in fact - when on the bike stand and the flat.

So why is it 15 minutes of uphill and the chain feels like it's slipping and teeth on the cogs are pinging. As soon as I apply serious downward pedal force going uphill it feels like I'm loosing traction and it sounds bloody awful.

Mucho Grathiarse

Comments

• Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    Maybe your freewheel is on the way out?
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • blister pus
    Forgot that. Brand new wheel set too :?
  • Does the chain actually drop onto another cog when you experience this, even momentarily? If so, it could be the cable somehow being affected by the force of pedalling.

Otherwise it has to be a faulty freehub, no? It's certainly possible, even with a new hub. My experience of this is a loud 'crack' sound and sudden loss of power transfer through the chain.
  • warrerj
    warrerj Posts: 665
    Is the chain actually slipping ??
    What gear are you in ??

Maybe a dodgy free wheel on the new wheels ? Cassett loose on the freewheel and slipping ???
  • blister pus
    - when on the bike stand / flat ground everything shifts up and down fine. Under force going uphill it's hard to see what's going on - but there is a possibility that it's momentarily missing a beat.

- sure feels like it's slipping but it's hard to say when I'm going up hill

- seemed to happen in any gear, going up or down

- I'll go check the back wheel now and see if everything is in order

It definitely eases off on the flat going steady it reverts to reasonable shifting and sounding normal.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    New chainring time?
    I've had a new chain decide it didn;t like an old chainring, and would just ride over it when power was applied.
  • fwb2006
    fwb2006 Posts: 212
    Check for a sticky link, sounds suspiciously like something I had.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'd say chainrings too.
  • blister pus
    Inner rings are the same, probably better as they are the heavy steel things. I thought Ithey'd be fine...

chainring.jpg

chainring1.jpg