le pass'portes du soleil

mkf
mkf Posts: 242
edited June 2010 in Routes
i fancy riding this next year.anyone know when registration starts, costs etc etc
how long it takes a reasonable fit rider to finish the 75k route?
any info really will be a great help
thanks boys & girls

Comments

• paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Not sure about how to sign up or when but the route can be done in about 4 hours on a good day but ont he day itself there are all these food stalls and fete kind of things in soem of the villages which are worth a rest stop and mooch around which drags it out a bit.

You have to be done by 4 for the last lift in any case......
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,008
    A mate of mine asked me the same thing yesterday, mind me asking where abouts you live, roughly?
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • It cost 40 euros this year.

A link to the page http://www.passportesdusoleil.com/index.jsp

I start checking the site from about February to register

One thing to note is that if you are going as a group, get one person to do the entries as a group. Otherwise you might end up at different start points, if you enter individaullly.
  • mkf
    thanks for your help guys
    homers double i'm from liverpool
  • The entries open in february. Popular starts like Morzine and Les Gets fill up really fast so get on it early if you want to stay there.

Next year will be the 26 and 27 june.

Enjoy!
  • v23
    v23 Posts: 217
    ^^
    Sara - You seem to know a lot about it.

If we were just going for the weekend, would you know roughly how much the whole lot would cost? Flights from the UK (pref Birmingham, transfers and accomodation?

How technical is it?

Do flowmyb do packages? And if so at what cost?

Thanks
  • Cost all depends on how you do it.
    Flight costs can vary quite a lot - book early for the best deals.
    We can do packages including accommodation, entry and transfers. Still working on prices for next year though.....
    Entry: €40-42 for 2010 (TBC by organisers) - this covers lift pass for 2 days.
    Transfers: around €70 pp return
    Accommodation: from around €40 per night B&B up to €80 for more luxury catered.

If you go just for the weekend though you'll wish you stayed for the full week :)
  • v23
    v23 Posts: 217
    Thanks for that. Unfortunately family and teacher friends prevent week long attendence.
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    I did it this year and stayed with Flow. Huge recommendation for them everything was top notch.

The Passportes was a fantastic was to see the area and the rest stops were superb. We did it two days in a row but would probably just do the one day next time and go our own way after that.

The big problem is, once you've been there once you don't want to be back here!
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike
  • This years registration opens on the 10th February.
  • andyrm
    andyrm Posts: 550
    Really looking forward to doing it this year :D
  • boz64
    boz64 Posts: 81
    Just entered for this year. Starting from Chatel as my mate's sister has a place there. Easyjet flight around £150, transfer about £75 each, accomodation free! :lol: Just beer money after that!

Hey mkf... I'm from Liverpool too. 3 of us flying out 24th June. May see ya there!
    Liverpool Mercury CC
  • mkf
    yea we're hoping to start at chatel. How did you register the sites down, you best double check m8. See you at the bottom of the lift cant wait
  • boz64
    boz64 Posts: 81
    My mate got lucky on the site... I think he probably got through during the 10 mins when it was actually working! We have official email confirmation and the payment has gone through. Roll on June!
    Liverpool Mercury CC
  • mkf
    jammy bugger i'v been trying since the 10th every 10min
  • There are technical problems with the site. There will be a few days notice when registrations are available, and all the resorts will be available when they reopen. If I hear more from the organisers i'll let you know, but for the moment all efforts are going into fixing it!
  • I'm doing it with my brother and staying with Flow. It will be my first time, although my brother did it last year for both days, which in hindsight he thinks is a bit much.

We're driving down, riding on the Sunday and staying the following week.

Very impressed so far, Sara has been very helpful and quick to respond to emails.

Can't wait for June - been snowboarding at Chatel / Avoriaz, but will be really interesting to see it in the Summer.
  • With the registrations reopening on wed, I'm trying to find a reasonable accommodation. I'm on low budget so decided for camping. Any good tips for campgrounds? I was hoping to to stay in Chatel or Morgins. After some quick searching, it seems that everything is booked up already...

And what are the chances of finding accommodation in Chatel/Morgins on the day of PPdS, without pre-booking?
  • Your chances of finding anywhere that late are very slim. Book in advance. It's the busiest weekend of the summer.

I only know campsites around Morzine, so can't help. However, your best bet is to call the Chatel and Morgins Tourist Offices. They're able to help, and will speak English. They'll put you in touch with campsites. Failing that ask them about any cheap apartments, just make sure you check for bike storage. Generally your cheapest options will be a little way out of town. If you're happy to pedal a bit to get around you might find some cheaper options.
  • Thanks for your tips, Sara. Great help!
  • agg25
    agg25 Posts: 619
    So, anyone get their registration in this morning?
    I nabbed a Sunday ticket at Morzine. Just sorting out accom now but might go with flowmtb as a few guys have said they're pretty good and Sara was quite helpful.
    All the Les Gets and Morzine places have gone now but there's still quite a few available at the smaller sites.
    I'm staying for a week from the 26th and might hang out for a few days in Geneva afterwards as I've heard it's quite nice.
    Bring on the Alps!!
  • YIMan
    YIMan Posts: 576
    I am skiing and only got on the registration page this morning, which is now closed for maintenance again. Was hoping to do the PPDS from Morzine with a friend who has already booked through a tour operator.....but am now stuck with a smaller town start only which I guess means I'd be doing it by mysef.
  • Which town have you reserved? You may not be too far away, and could meet up with your friend to ride some with him. You need to pick up your entry etc from the start point but there are no set times to be at certain lifts during the day.

Morzine and Les Gets always fill up fast and were full within a couple of hours of the entries going online. They keep numbers down to try to avoid silly queues.
  • Edward Teach
    Edward Teach Posts: 36
    edited March 2010
    Registration is filling up fast.

Trespasser : If you have transport there are a couple of decent camp sites on the south side on Lac Leman at Excenevex (between Yoire and Thonon-les-Bains).

YiMan : If you are starting from Morgins (CH) if you can tag along with us (myself and one other use to live in Nottingham), We are riding on Sunday only.
  • YIMan
    YIMan Posts: 576
    I didn't manage to reserve anything - the reservation site was closed for maintenance this morning. Cheers for the advice and kind offers.
  • I do not think the site is closed for maintenance, it felt like a standard message when too many connections are made to the site.

I registered yesterday morning, but it took nearly an hour to register four people who were already in the system from last year. It kept coming up with the maintenance message. Lost count of how many times the message came up, I just clicked back on the browser's and tried again, eventually managed it.
  • To Edward Teach: I ended up registering with a friend of mine for Sunday from Chatel. I do have a car but would much prefer to stay closer to (if not in) Chatel. I already tried to call one camp but they only speak French... hehehe, naive me. Anyways, thx for help, if nothing else, I might end up at your suggested location.
  • Hooah! I'm all set - staying in a camp, downtown Chatel. Can't wait for June!!!
  • agg25
    Thought I'd revive this seeing as though its only 10 days to go!!

Anyone else here going or been?

I'm staying in Morzine, (organised with FlowMTB) flying on 26th, doing the ride on 27th then staying for a week before heading over to Geneva for a few days.

Got a spare set of pads, spare rotor, spare hanger, spare tubes, bought me bike bag, changed the Fizik seat to a SDG for comfort, bought some D30 knee pads, got the Camelbak Hawg ready, Alien tool & pump, and just bought a small first aid kit.

Can't feckin wait!
  • agg25
    Well I guess no one else is going, quite surprising considering