cutting top of forks, expanding wedge ?????? help

badback
badback Posts: 31
edited August 2009 in Workshop
Want to reduce the ugly extra bit of fork at top of bike. Have got the cutting tool for straight line and know to cut so that the stem is 3mm above the carbon fork. How do you get the expanding wedge thing out so that you can put it lower down. Really don't want to ruin my 6.9 madonne any advice much appreciated, although probably best to jsut take it to sigma sport. Cheers.

Comments

• skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    Is it a "star-fangled" nut, or a "bung" that you're trying to get out of the way?
    Could you push it a little further down to clear your cut, rather than removing it?

There is a guide on the Park Tools site that may be helpful to you here: http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=115
    Cycling weakly
  • badback
    badback Posts: 31
    Its a star fangled nut. If I push it down its got to go down quite a long way about 50mm. Also if a can manage to push it down how far does it have to go?

Cheers
  • easier said than done, but it needs to be a similar distance down from the point you're going to cut it, as it is from the top now so the top bolt can do its job.
    ' From the sharks in the penthouse,
    to the rats in the basement,
    its not that far '
  • skyd0g
    You can use a piece of dowel or similar as a drift & tap it further down the steerer with a hammer. Like this:
    fork102.jpg

(it sometimes needs a fair amount of "encouragement") :wink:
    It needs to go about 15mm past where you intend to cut.
    Cycling weakly
  • skyd0g
    ...or
    Cut the stem with the existing nut where it is, then replace the existing star-fangled nut with a new one, or a bung.
    The star-fangled nuts are only about £2, the bungs iro £10.
    Cycling weakly
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    The star nut thingy can be pushed down (using a mallet and rod or similar), as others have said - think I did mine about 40-50 mm or so - just make sure you get the same kind of distance afterwards to what you've curently got, and make sure its square - mine wasnt a brilliant job (the steerer cut was a bit rough) , but its accurate enough (new star-nut distance) and perfect usage-wise.

Good job to do - makes the front of your bike look alot better (and a fraction lighter).

(even went on a roll and cut my seatpost 1.5-2 inches that night - heh :) )
  • Gav2000
    Gav2000 Posts: 408
    Should you use a star nut with a carbon fork? I though the expanding bungs were better or preferred.

Gav.
    Gav2000

Like a streak of lightnin' flashin' cross the sky,
    Like the swiftest arrow whizzin' from a bow,
    Like a mighty cannonball he seems to fly.
    You'll hear about him ever'where you go.
  • skyd0g
    Gav2000 wrote:
    Should you use a star nut with a carbon fork? I though the expanding bungs were better or preferred.

Gav.

Hazarding a guess, I think the OP has carbon forks with an Alu steerer tube, as the star-fangled nut was already there as original equipment. You are correct in saying that a bung is preferred if the forks are all carbon, including the steerer.

...speaking of which, the OP's gone quiet. Has it been done yet?
    Cycling weakly