afx237vi
afx237vi Posts: 12,630
edited August 2009 in The bottom bracket
One word:- ROFL.

Tarantino is a total nutcase.

Comments

• iainment
    iainment Posts: 992
    Is an acronym a word? Isn't this really 4 words compressed?

Confused.
    Old hippies don't die, they just lie low until the laughter stops and their time comes round again.
    Joseph Gallivan
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I'd love to see it but who knows when I'll get time.

Looks hilarious.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • iainment
    iainf72 wrote:
    I'd love to see it but who knows when I'll get time.

Looks hilarious.

Hey you're called Iain too!
    Old hippies don't die, they just lie low until the laughter stops and their time comes round again.
    Joseph Gallivan
  • Bonjourno.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    afx237vi wrote:

What are you on about? What's ROFL?
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • iainment
    passout wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

It's one word, or not.
    Joseph Gallivan
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537

Rolling On Floor Laughing. :lol:
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    iainment wrote:

Confused.

If the letters of the words involved spell something that can be easily pronounced as a new word (e.g. Time off-road pedals' Automatic Tension Adjustment Concept = ATAC), it's an acronym. Otherwise things like BBC or IPA (mmm.....beer) are just plain old abbreviations.

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • zippypablo
    zippypablo Posts: 398
    iainment wrote:

Confused.

If the letters of the words involved spell something that can be easily pronounced as a new word (e.g. Time off-road pedals' Automatic Tension Adjustment Concept = ATAC), it's an acronym. Otherwise things like BBC or IPA (mmm.....beer) are just plain old abbreviations.

David
    the things you learn

thanks
    If suffer we must, let's suffer on the heights. (Victor Hugo).
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    Otherwise things like BBC or IPA (mmm.....beer) are just plain old abbreviations.
    Surely those are initialisms...

As for the film, it was very OK. Lots of talking in French and German with subtitles interspersed with short scenes of violence. I'm no expert but I don't think it was historically accurate either. Not a bad way to spend an afternoon but could've done with more killing.
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • jrduquemin
    jrduquemin Posts: 791
    It's not supposed to be historically accurate. It's meant to be an alternate dimension :-)

Not enough killing for my liking though what violence there was was very entertaining :-D

The final scene did make me wince though, imagine carrying that around with you for the rest of your life :-D
    2010 Lynskey R230
    2013 Yeti SB66
  • jrduquemin wrote:

Not enough killing for my liking though what violence there was was very entertaining :-D

I thought there was enough. Any more would have been OTT to be honest.

The best bits in my opinion was whenever Hans Landa was on screen, an absolutely excellent character, played so well. What a sly bastard he was!
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    jrduquemin wrote:
    It's not supposed to be historically accurate. It's meant to be an alternate dimension :-)

It's what may have happened during the war had QT's characters been there.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    jrduquemin wrote:

I thought there was enough. Any more would have been OTT to be honest.

The best bits in my opinion was whenever Hans Landa was on screen, an absolutely excellent character, played so well. What a sly bastard he was!

He stole every single scene he was in. I actually thought the Shosanna stuff was better than the stuff with the Basterds in it. They were good too (the Bear Jew, hah!), but IMO the entire movie could've centered around her story.

As for the historical accuracy - well it's about as accurate as some of the other Hollywood war movies... U571 anyone?
  • antooony
    antooony Posts: 177
    Went to se it last night. Have read so many mixed rewiews by the so called film critics, many slating it. Me, I loved it. :D
  • Leesykoi
    Leesykoi Posts: 338
    I loved the film (well i like most QT stuff anyrate). More importantly my better half thoroughly enjoyed it as well and not just because Brad Pitt was in it....makes a change !!!

The guy who played Hans Landa was absolutely superb and is it just me or did he look a little like 'Rob Brydon' the comedian ?????
    I like shiny bikes - especially Italian ones.....!!
  • nielsamd
    nielsamd Posts: 174
    Haven't seen it.
    But if Tarantino made a cycling film it might be a bit like this (mainly because of the music... and a bit of blood at the end...):
    http://www.nfb.ca/film/60_cycles/
  • DomPro
    DomPro Posts: 321
    Excellent film. Don't usually like Tarantino films, unncessarily violent and bloody. But this was really engaging - 5 stars.
    Shazam !!