Help with suitable bike. Had many, want the final!

nerak
nerak Posts: 87
edited September 2009 in MTB beginners
Ok. I am a 29 year old female. 5' 3.

To date my bikes have usually been male (apart from one slip-up at 13 which I hated!), last year I splashed out and bought my first female MTB as I was fed up of my bike history. (Cheap deals, too big, too heavy, poor construction, etc etc.) A GT Avalanche 2.0 disc 2008 womans. Very happy but...

Looked nice, spec looked nice (to me anyway!) but it doesn't 'feel right'. It feels too far to the bars and (as a result of possibly being too big) I think feels heavy. Unfortunately since purchase I have been told for my height I have the incorrect size (M). Therefore £500 notes down the drain. :cry:

Can anyone help me out here with a few pointers please (patience required, chip in with any help please if not all points):

1. Is my size as incorrect as I am led to believe? Looking in general I think GTs are quite on the large size and a 'S' would suit in that brand? Other than that prob a 14-15 frame.

2. What can I do about being ill-advised in the shop? I don't want to cause a fuss but 'apparently' I clearly shouldn't have been sold a 'M'.

3. If I am to splash out 'yet again' what would you recommend in womans for £400-£600. I don't ride the roads much, tend to be offroad in woods up/down hills. I like to be able to throw myself into anything with the full backing of the bike (if u get me). Feel I need control and at moment don't have it. I know I'm not able to ride as I used to and pretty sure its not just me its the bike (size). I want a quality bike that is packed with decent kit and light - oh and in budget please!!

4. Decent V Brakes vs Hydro Discs. Am I silly to knock a bike that seems to have excellent spec but v brakes (upgradable).

5. I like the sound of remote lockouts or is this just a gimmic?

6. Who to buy from. Live between Portsmouth & Southampton. Willing to travel to a decent shop (or a decent price! lol) Don't mind buying online.

Basically HEEEEEEEELP!! :D
Mine's a pint...

... oh this bits for the bike. Mine's a Giant Talon W3 (and a GT Avalanche for sale)

Comments

• 1. everyone is different. It sounds like you bought the bike without a carpark trundle! remember that trying before you buy is essential!

2. Salesmen are wankers. fact. if you don't feel right on a bike, then walk away. quotes like "its supposed to feel like that" or "its something you get used to" are to be ignored!. if the glove don't fit....

3. I'd recommend trying as many bikes as you can for starters. each is different.... different sizes, tube lengths, tube shapes, travel etc etc... it depends what feels right for you.

4. IMO i'd try and get a set of hydro brakes (should be fairly easy for £600). you don't see many bikes now without at least cable disk brakes.

5. don't be too fussed about lockout... its a gimmic (again IMO). I used it for about a week and then forgot about it!!

6. Check your yellow pages to find a LBS.... check it out... don't buy form some cowboys :lol:
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    1) bike size isn't just determined by height, so hard to say really

2) Cause a fuss, a bike that is too large can be considered as dangerous as it will not be easy to control

3) Generally speaking most bikes in your price range (£400-£600) weigh about the same give or take a little.

4) V's are perfectly adequate for a lot of riding, if you can get a V braked bike that has disc ready frame, fork & hubs it could be a better initial option

5)lock out is useful for climbing & on road usage

6) sorry, can't help with that one!

have you had a look at these topics?

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12620617

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12640231
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • nerak
    Thanx bigbenj.

LBS? What's that (dim old me?!) Legit Bike Supplier?!

I was looking at this but I don't know much about the brand myself, or the quality of the gear (forks in particular)

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Womens/11/Foc ... 360037575/

I don't want to rip a local place off, but I know I need to try before I buy but online deals are good.

Aaaaaaaaaaaargh.
    Mine's a pint...

... oh this bits for the bike. Mine's a Giant Talon W3 (and a GT Avalanche for sale)
  • Andy B
    Local Bike Shop

Generally Focus bikes get good reviews, but it will be a pain to test one for size.

Not the best fork on that one too, it's OK but better to be had (Rockshox Tora forks are ones to look out for.)

Apart from that good frame, light weight, fairly decent kit.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    LBS = Local Bike Shop. It's a commonly used abbreviation on this forum.

Have you considered that a smaller framed "men's" bike may also be fine for you?
    Several women don't actually find the female specific designs to be an advantage, although it is certainly a great thing to have options aimed at women.
  • nerak wrote:
    Thanx bigbenj.

LBS? What's that (dim old me?!) Legit Bike Supplier?!

I was looking at this but I don't know much about the brand myself, or the quality of the gear (forks in particular)

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Womens/11/Foc ... 360037575/

I don't want to rip a local place off, but I know I need to try before I buy but online deals are good.

Aaaaaaaaaaaargh.

The only thing about focus is that wiggle are the only supplier... so you can't try before you buy...but you can buy it, build it up (something you have to do with bikes bought online), try it out for size, and send it back at a cost to yourself if it doesn't suit (iirc).

I'd suggest going to LBS, try a few bikes out with the "intention" of buying a bike, then buy the one you like online if you want to save some £££.

You might miss out on some so called "customer service" but all you really get is a 5-6week free tuneup... which can easily be done on your own.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    The only thing about focus is that wiggle are the only supplier...
    I never knew that.
  • bigbenj_08 wrote:
    The only thing about focus is that wiggle are the only supplier...
    I never knew that.

The only UK supplier that should read... someone can correct me i i'm wrong but I believe they are anyways :)
  • Andy B
    bigbenj_08 Lots of misleading info in your last post.

Every bike from wiggle is fully checked & assembled before despatch and will arrive ready 2 ride. Simply open the box, turn the bars, put the pedals on and the bike is ready 2 ride

Wiggle do a 7 day test ride http://www.wiggle.co.uk/h/option/testride

The return of the bike is free. http://www.wiggle.co.uk/h/option/ReturnsProcedure
  • Andy_B wrote:
    bigbenj_08 Lots of misleading info in your last post.

Every bike from wiggle is fully checked & assembled before despatch and will arrive ready 2 ride. Simply open the box, turn the bars, put the pedals on and the bike is ready 2 ride

Wiggle do a 7 day test ride http://www.wiggle.co.uk/h/option/testride

The return of the bike is free. http://www.wiggle.co.uk/h/option/ReturnsProcedure

So there is some assembly... I said you can send it back... i figured it would be at your own cost...

I'm fairly sure that someone buying from wiggle could find this info out for themselves... I haven't bought from them so wouldn't know... i did say "iirc".
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Andy_B wrote:
    5)lock out is useful for climbing & on road usage

But, in the case of the latter, only if you are climbing out of the saddle - then the forks compress on each stroke which wastes energy. But climbing out of the saddle wastes energy anyway so don't do it!! :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Andy_B

not quite 100% true. some bikes need the bars centring (as they will not fit in the box).
    But YES Focus bikes are a pleasure to get shop ready ( Done differently out here).

nerak I would be tempted wo find a real bike shop where the mechanics have grease under their nails and have a chat. there is a good chance that (presuming you still have the old bike) you could get sorted out with a well fitted bike but using some of your parts and some new parts.

Just done a frame swap today to a correct sized frame for a customer. (OK he had snapped the old frame but it was too big).
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nick1962
    nick1962 Posts: 156
    Looking at the GT website
    http://www.gtbicycles.com/gbr/eng/Produ ... ved=t#5692

there is only an inch difference in top tube length and standover height between a small and a medium and so the weight difference between the two would be barely noticeable and most bikes in your price range are similar weights too.The GT does have an OK spec and a small may have been more suitable but dont give up on your current bike until you have tried all the adjustments that you can.There is lots of advice on this site but to summarise the two key points

Is the standover height comfortable ? Do you have at least a couple of inches between your crotch and the crossbar when standing astride it ? If not then you definitely need a smaller frame and I would go back to the shop you bought it from with a (bike knowledgable friend or colleague)for moral support and speak to the manager.See what he/she has to say and what they can offer you.
    If the standover height is fine then,and I know this may sound obvious, but have you tried moving your saddle forward on the rails to bring you nearer to the handlebars? You can usually move it forward an inch or two.On a small GT the handlebars are only an inch closer to the seat than a medium.You could also try a shorter stem (from about £10.00) to bring the bars closer,again another inch maybe more.
    If it still feels too big then take it in to a decent bike shop and ask them how much to get a smaller frame and swap your parts over.Make sure you try out a fully built up bike for size first! This may be cheaper than buying new plus you can recoup some cash from selling your current frame.If that seems like too much hassle then you could just sell your bike and buy new.Try for size first and don't rush into parting with your hard earned money until you are completely happy with the fit and spec! Although it appears that bargains abound online you can't try for size but you can get a good idea of what spec is good value.Most bike shops have last year's models reduced which you can try out at comparable prices anyway plus you usually get a free initial service.
    Can't recommend anywhere near you but I'm sure others can

Disc brakes-Yes-Upgrading from Vs usually means buying new wheels-not cheap
    Lockout - Yes ,better for on the road

Hope you get sorted

:)
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    nick1962 wrote:
    Disc brakes-Yes-Upgrading from Vs usually means buying new wheels-not cheap

Some v-brake bikes come with disc-ready wheels, so that's worth looking out for.

Remote lockout isn't worth worrying about imo. I have it on my Cube, but don't find I use it any more, or that it's much more convenient than the normal dial on my Anthem. I'd rather have one less piece of clutter on my bars and one less cable.
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    Here's one bike that you should be able to find pretty easily to test.
    It has a nice spec, and if it feels good you can buy it from here:
    http://www.cyclesuk.com/139-258577
    Specialized Myka HT Expert 2009 for just £508, only in 15" but that should be spot on.
  • nerak
    A big thank you to everyone for your support and time taken to help me.

I think the problem with my bike isn't that it is heavy in itself, just feels heavy/hard to control because its a little further than should be to the bars. Eg. if i try and do a wheelie (yes at 29) or just pull the bars up.

I think the only bike I ever liked was a while back (Raleigh Max Chromo I think). I could throw that around and really liked it. Then I chose to get a full suspension piece of carp.

Can I take all the components of my Avalanche and put them on a new (smaller) frame. Brakes, Forks etc. Will I encounter problems or can I just order a different frame. I could prob transfer it all over myself but would need it 'tuning' at a LBS.

If i go for a new bike I do like the look at the Specialized Myka Expert HT as mentioned but it hasn't got hydro brakes. Any other suggestions for something on budget with Hydro's?

Many thanks again for the support.
    Mine's a pint...

• Andy B
    Some components might fit, some might not

seatpost, front mech, forks, chainset/bottom bracket might all pose a problem swapping over, then again they might not, depends on the new frame.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    nerak

as Andy says.

just like to add have a read of the info on Parktools Link in my sig and see what you may be getting yourself into things best left to the LBS are Headset cup removal and fitting.
    Bottom brakes/cranks removal and fitting.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I'd suggest the Carrera Kraken from Halfords, sounds like it ticks all the boxes. Unfortunately you are then relying on Halfords for the fitting etc, which can be hit and miss. But then someone might be able to recommend a decent store near you. And the fitting problems wont be any worse than buying from Wiggle. At least you'll be able to sit on the bike before you buy.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • nerak
    Soooo spooky. Just looked at Halfords before checking my post and looked at the Carerra Kraken!

Was going to ask for advice on it's spec.

Does anyone have experience of one?

Thanks bails87 for the suggestion, and thanks to everyone else who has taken time to add more to the post

Agreed I'm not a fan of them from experience (although admit some technicians prob 'are' ok) but I might go for one as the specs seem fairly decent (from a novice point of view)?
    Mine's a pint...

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Yeah, it's got very good spec for the money, decent fork, hydro brakes and a quality drivetrain. I don't know if anyone in your neck of the woods can recommend a decent Halfords though. It depends on how mechanically minded you are, if you're able to change a tube and retune gears once the cables have stretched and bedded in then you'll only be going back to them for a genuine repair or replacement issue. Plus, given your previous problems, you'll need to be confident and ignore them if they're telling you that an uncomfortable size is the right one.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • xtreem
    If i go for a new bike I do like the look at the Specialized Myka Expert HT as mentioned but it hasn't got hydro brakes. Any other suggestions for something on budget with Hydro's?
    The Myka has hydro brakes.
    "Tektro Auriga Comp hydraulic disc brakes"
    I've heard only good things about them.
  • nerak
    Xtreem. I don't know how I missed tht they are hydro brakes, but I now have a new bike and feel I've slightly let myself down overlooking the Myka Expert HT :oops:

Thanks to everyone for their continued support on this matter. I don't want to discuss which I went for in the end as I know I've missed out on a few bargains (higher spec components than what I eventually chose), but I've been out on it and couldn't feel happier which is the main thing :D

I didn't stretch my budget and feel happy I can change bits as I go along.

Put it this way, if you see a tiny blue giant smiling away in the new forest today odds on its me!! lol
    Mine's a pint...

• Andy B
    So long as you're happy with your bike choice, who cares what anyone thinks

As you said, you can always upgrade parts as stuff wears out

Now go get it mucky & show us some pics ;)
  • xtreem
    So long as you're happy with your bike choice, who cares what anyone thinks
    +1
    We need pictures of the bike or at least which blue giant. :)
  • I'd consider trying tweaking your existing bike - it maybe that you can move the seat forward a little and shorten the stem to create a smaller feeling bike, upgraded tyres might also help produce a lighter feeling more chuckable/maneuverable bike.

I'd certainly say a small frame was needed though in general - at 5' 3" you are always going to be at the smaller end of frame sizes (at 5'6" I wouldnt look at a medium in mens frames) - certainly a swap of the frame for a smaller size might work.

I cant recommend any bike shops near you although I did by a Patriot second hand froma mechanic in Southsea - nearest I can suggest is Crowthorne where Cycle Zone is pretty good but probably limited in your price bracket, their Reading branch might be better for you.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.