SRAM Rival vs Shimano Ultegra

TheHappyClown
TheHappyClown Posts: 51
edited August 2009 in Road beginners
Hey all,

Just a very quick question: which is better? Thanks for advice in advance!

Comments

• fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    campagnolo centaur

next question
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    Ultegra is better than Rival.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Hey all,

Just a very quick question: which is better? Thanks for advice in advance!

Better???? Probably neither. You're going to be pleased with whichever you buy, more than likely. This despite what hundreds of others will soon tell you on this post.
  • Thanks for the help guys. The reason I ask is because I'm looking to buy either:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Focus ... 360037589/

or

I was going to go for the most basic Cayo but got some extra funds from work so I thought I'd go one up. I've been racing XC on my mountain bike for years but fancy hitting the road after borrowing a friend's Trek road bike for a week earlier in the summer and loving it! Any thoughts on either bike?
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Rival is loads better than Ultegra
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Wasn't there a review in the past month which said that Rival was on a par with ultegra which made it even better value considering the price difference? I'm sure I read it somewhere.
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Rival loads better.
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    Thanks for the help guys. The reason I ask is because I'm looking to buy either:

or

I was going to go for the most basic Cayo but got some extra funds from work so I thought I'd go one up. I've been racing XC on my mountain bike for years but fancy hitting the road after borrowing a friend's Trek road bike for a week earlier in the summer and loving it! Any thoughts on either bike?

1st link is much better :wink:
  • What do you currently ride with?

If neither then it matters not!

Some advocate Camp is better than Shim or SRAM but if you have not used any then makes no diff.

IMO
  • It will be my first road bike. I ride my rather lovely 2007 Focus Raven Pro at the moment (has full XTR), but I'm keen to get into road riding after dabbling in it earlier this summer.
  • Flambes
    Flambes Posts: 191
    If people are going to give reactionary reasons for one or the other, give the chap a good reason why.

Does it change better,is it more reliable, is there a difference in the number of upshifts/downshifts at once? Difference in weight?
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    They're both good. May just depend on which hood shape/size you prefer. I find the SRAM ones better.
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    I'm confused as to which is better myself, what makes SRAM better?

Or is it just Shimano haters?
  • DVV
    DVV Posts: 126
    See here for a review of SRAM rival:

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... l-09-33871

Lighter than Ultegra, if that's a concern.
  • freehub
    So it's not really way better, just 100G lighter and the rest down to personal preference.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Well, it is way better considering that it is lighter by 100g and also cheaper than Ultegra when buying as a groupset. Of course that doesn't apply for the two bikes above.

I reckon, that I would go for the SRAM just because I like the colours better and the Saddle is better on the Milram version as well.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • freehub
    I've got an apple here for 20p, I've got an orange here for 15p, this make the orange way better? I prefer apples.

Price and abit of weight does not make something way better, might make more people choose it though.
  • edindevon
    edindevon Posts: 325
    I've used Ultegra on my Gios and put many thousands of miles into it. It was 100% fine

I got a good deal on a Rival groupset and changed over to this and after three thousand miles this has also been 100% fine. I don't really like the so called double tap system, but that's a matter of taste.

For a rider of my standard, it would be fantasy to describe either as way better than the other.

The only thing I would say is that the rubber hoods on the Rival shifters seem to be less robust than the Utlegra.

Edindevon
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    freehub wrote:
    I've got an apple here for 20p, I've got an orange here for 15p, this make the orange way better? I prefer apples.

Price and abit of weight does not make something way better, might make more people choose it though.

LOL mate, it is not 20p to 15p you being a student should know that. It is almost £100 difference between one and the other.

And it is also lighter!
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • Thanks for all the help folks!

Just ordered the Team Milram. Got that excited-but-a-bit-sick feeling in my stomach when I realised I was spending big money (well, big to me)! :D

Will let you know how it goes,

Thanks again!