Which stem size 110 or 100 for Merlin malt4??

denispearl
denispearl Posts: 152
edited August 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi. Ive just bought bars FSA Bar XC MTB 280 31.8x40x660mm R for my Merlin Malt 4.
But i dont know which stem size to use. I currently have fsa 105mm, but I cannot test it with new bars as there are OS. So ive checked chainreaction and found two FSA stems. Only porblem is - dont know which size to buy 100mm or 110mm?
On the merlin website same frame MALT 4, same size, has FSA stem 100mm installed with my new bars ( FSA 280 os).
Im 177 cm and 77 kilos.
Please advise which stem, cos ive got no glue and do not waist money on the wrong size.
Thanks folks!!!

Comments

• Hi denis,

How did your current stem feel, was it about right, too stretched? etc.....

If about right I would probably advise the 100mm, if too stretched then maybe look at say an 80-90mm stem?

HTH's? :D
  • denispearl
    Hi denis,

How did your current stem feel, was it about right, too stretched? etc.....

If about right I would probably advise the 100mm, if too stretched then maybe look at say an 80-90mm stem?

HTH's? :D
    So defo not 110 mm then?
    I think 105 was ok. But im gonna have a new rised bars instead of flat ( used untill recently) so shell I put new bars into account as well?
    Thanks
  • Do they have alot of backwards sweep?

Maybe its worth taking your bike and new bars to a bike shop near you that you trust and get the stem from them, they should let you try a few out whilst in the shop for you to see what works and what doesnt?
  • denispearl
    Do they have alot of backwards sweep?

Maybe its worth taking your bike and new bars to a bike shop near you that you trust and get the stem from them, they should let you try a few out whilst in the shop for you to see what works and what doesnt?
    No really. but i can make sweep huge if twist, so hence cannot decide.
    I havent shop like that.:(
  • Ah!

If not much sweep, then maybe just keep the to 100mm stem.

Are you in the UK? If you are then you know you can buy off the internet and if you dont like it you can send it back withing 7 working days for a different one or a refund?

Just remember not to mark or damage the stem & packaging!
  • denispearl
    Ah!

Are you in the UK? If you are then you know you can buy off the internet and if you dont like it you can send it back withing 7 working days for a different one or a refund?

Och yes. Im in the UK. But how can I see if stem is about right in not riding conditions?:(
    might go for 100mm as u suggest.:
    Thats a picture of 100mm stem on other merlin 4 bike
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/7405500@N0 ... 025278584/
  • denispearl wrote:
    Ah!

Och yes. Im in the UK. But how can I see if stem is about right in not riding conditions?:(

Put a cloth over the area that the stem clamps the bar and dont do them up tight, just enough so that you can sit on the saddle and check the reach of your arms?

Stem in pic looks good. Alot of people use smaller stems anyway, I'm going to be using a 90mm.
  • denispearl
    denispearl wrote:
    Ah!

Put a cloth over the area that the stem clamps the bar and dont do them up tight, just enough so that you can sit on the saddle and check the reach of your arms?

Stem in pic looks good. Alot of people use smaller stems anyway, I'm going to be using a 90mm.
    Are u same build as me???
    For me short stems seems ok for DH not for long speedy cycling. Im I right?
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    generally these days bike geometry and trends are to shorter stems - I run 70's on both my Cove Handjob and SC Heckler - the later is a 2001 bike the former a 2004.

I'd go shroter rather than longer as, all things considered, if you are getting the right sized frmae you shouldnt need to add to the roominess of the cockpit with a massively long stem.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • denispearl
    generally these days bike geometry and trends are to shorter stems - I run 70's on both my Cove Handjob and SC Heckler - the later is a 2001 bike the former a 2004.

I'd go shroter rather than longer as, all things considered, if you are getting the right sized frmae you shouldnt need to add to the roominess of the cockpit with a massively long stem.
    Oki doki then. Going for 100mm. Will see.
    Thanks all for the comments, Folks!!!