Replacing a 9sp chain?

gabriel959
gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
edited August 2009 in Workshop
Hi,

I want to replace my old chain on my 9sp bike. Can I just replace it like for like with the new one? If I can’t should I just count the number of links the old one has got and make sure that the new one has the same number? The old chain is Shimano, the new one KMC.

Thanks,
Gabriel
x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra

Comments

• Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    You will need to take some links out. This useful programme saves you the bother of (mis)counting the links on your current chain -

http://www.machinehead-software.co.uk/b ... hcalc.html
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Just lay them side by side, no need to count links. The old one will be slightly longer for the same number of links due to chain 'stretch', but it'll still be pretty obvious how much you need to remove from the new chain.
    More problems but still living....
  • beeankey
    beeankey Posts: 12
    Just so you know....Had to change mine last week(replaced with a KMC).Went on fine, then took it out for a quick spin, only to find the chain slipping on the cassette. Posted about it here and found out that the cassette & chain can "mold" themselves together,the result being that the new chain cannot get a grip of the old cassette. One new cassette later and everything's fine.