Di Luca appears on doping charges

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited August 2009 in Pro race
Still denyinghe did it. He's asked for more time to prepare his defence.
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    I really enjoyed his performance in the Giro this year and was really rooting for him in the final timetrial where he used a normal bike and went off like a rocket, looked for brief moment like he might actually overhaul menchov.

Hoping he didn't do it.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • I love this bit
    "(CERA) is a product that we have known about for more than a year," Di Luca said after the hearing. "We know it remains in the kidneys for a month at least, so why would I have taken it in the month of the Giro d'Italia?"

The implication being "I'm not an idiot! I know how to take CERA and not get caught! This is a fit up!"
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • bikerZA
    bikerZA Posts: 314
    I love this bit
    "(CERA) is a product that we have known about for more than a year," Di Luca said after the hearing. "We know it remains in the kidneys for a month at least, so why would I have taken it in the month of the Giro d'Italia?"

The implication being "I'm not an idiot! I know how to take CERA and not get caught! This is a fit up!"
    haha, it does sound like that!
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    3 positive samples (I think) plus B-samples confirmed.

Is it at all possible that he's NOT guilty?
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Pokerface wrote:

I think it's "beyond a shadow of a doubt". He would seem to be faced with tough choice.
    Admit it(kind of a lose / lose situation) or fight and HOPE for a miracle(literally). Talk about
    choice's that suck. Then again he knows the rules.
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    Pokerface wrote:

Sounds pretty conclusive. Disappointing.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • I think he'll be there with Tyler on the "life means life" list, not allowed to be within 50ft of a bike etc.
  • Ramanujan
    Ramanujan Posts: 352
    lifetime ban
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    dennisn wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

I think it's "beyond a shadow of a doubt". He would seem to be faced with tough choice.
    Admit it(kind of a lose / lose situation) or fight and HOPE for a miracle(literally). Talk about

Say, how'd that strategy work out for Tyler and Floyd?
  • dennisn
    afx237vi wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

Well, one way of looking at is that it didn't work out any worse than the other "option", so to speak. Floyd's back after "serving his time". Nothing would have changed had he "confessed". If that's what you're getting at? A couple of years ban is a couple of years, no matter if you confess or not. I'm not sure anything is to be gained by "coming clean". From a racers point of view anyway.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    dennisn wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

Well, one way of looking at is that it didn't work out any worse than the other "option", so to speak. Floyd's back after "serving his time". Nothing would have changed had he "confessed". If that's what you're getting at? A couple of years ban is a couple of years, no matter if you confess or not. I'm not sure anything is to be gained by "coming clean". From a racers point of view anyway.

How much money did they both lose on lawyers and appeals?
  • dennisn
    afx237vi wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

How much money did they both lose on lawyers and appeals?

Obviously, they either felt it would be money well spent(maybe clear their names), or their ego's(or whatever) wouldn't let them admit to cheating. In either case a tough choice to make. Not the easiest thing in the world to admit you're wrong.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    dennisn wrote:
    Obviously, they either felt it would be money well spent(maybe clear their names), or their ego's(or whatever) wouldn't let them admit to cheating. In either case a tough choice to make. Not the easiest thing in the world to admit you're wrong.

It could be a cultural thing too. Certainly in American politics "flip flopping" is considered a weakness. Where as a lot of people would consider changing your mind on the basis of new evidence a strength, doing that in American politics is suicide. Could be something similar.

Or they knew the score and geniunely didn't believe it was wrong and weren't sure why they were punished and others not.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    iainf72 wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

It could be a cultural thing too. Certainly in American politics "flip flopping" is considered a weakness. Where as a lot of people would consider changing your mind on the basis of new evidence a strength, doing that in American politics is suicide. Could be something similar.

Or they knew the score and geniunely didn't believe it was wrong and weren't sure why they were punished and others not.

I suspect this last point is nail=head. Most who dope probably justify it to themselves becuase 'we're all on it' and when they get caught, its cost they're sloppy or been fitted up, not because they're morally guilty.

Strava is not Zen.
  • dennisn
    calvjones wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

I suspect this last point is nail=head. Most who dope probably justify it to themselves becuase 'we're all on it' and when they get caught, its cost they're sloppy or been fitted up, not because they're morally guilty.

Sloppy. Oh ya. Not covering all the bases, so to speak. Sort of like truing a wheel. You have to do it right or..........
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited August 2009
    AP Photos
    capt.60b93358b4ce469f8585fec956f9f6c2.italy_doping_di_luca_rdl105.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Reality hits.
    AP Photos
    610x.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • dennisn
    Looking guilty.

AP Photos

Enough with the pictures that are SUPPOSED to show us WHATEVER
    they are supposed to show us.
  • Looking guilty.

AP Photos
    For once, I agree with Dennis.
    You see guilt, I see a rather fine portrait, if a little on the egotistical side.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • frenchfighter
    Slow day for you; no heated debates going on so you try and start one here. I have bad news for you I'm afraid. The bait you are using is useless.

And btw, don't bother replying as I wont.

The pictures will keep on flowing.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Ok Blazing I have removed the light-hearted comment.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • dennisn
    Slow day for you; no heated debates going on so you try and start one here. I have bad news for you I'm afraid. The bait you are using is useless.

And btw, don't bother replying as I wont.

OK, I won't. Sorry, couldn't resist. :wink::wink: