Taking the Mrs riding in the dales....Where to go??

ashbiker
ashbiker Posts: 13
edited August 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi,

I am going riding in the yorkshire dales prodbably up near settle or pately bridge. Can anyone reccomend any pretty good beginner trails that will be good for the both of us. Were both physically fit from wokring out etc so getting up hills is not a prob....getting down them may be though :shock: that is my main concern.

Thanks

Ash

Comments

• Hi,

We, thats me, the wife, and 10 & 12 year old kids recently went to Gisburn forest, thats quite a good place to start.

Lloyd
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • ashbiker
    ashbiker Posts: 13
    HI lloyd,

How far did you go with them? We want to go a distance but dont want to embark upon some highly difficult decents.
  • gisburn is pretty good, and a good alround place to ride, not too far from pately.

if you can get up to malham tarn that's pretty good too, lots of free to roam moorland, with lots of paths and bridleways, some stunning views and once you're up top, relatively flat for the main.

if you do go there, drive into malham village, then keep left `(right would take you over the bridge in the village) and keep on up the hill. when you reach a crossroads, turn right and drive till you find a little carpark. you can access pretty much the whole plateau from there.

check an OS map of the area and you'll see what i mean.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    There's lots of good ridign to be had in the Settle/Malham/Kilnsey/Arncliffe area, a trip down Stockdale Lane from Malham Cove to Settle is a must!

That said, once you're on the top around Malham Tarn it is VERY exposed and the wind can be a real killer. But it is worth the effort.

Again, check OS maps for details, but I do know some rather tasty loops in the area it must be said...need a guide?
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic