riding in the peak district - routes

leona
leona Posts: 26
edited August 2009 in Tour & expedition
Hi,

on friday we are off to matlock. theres a race on sat but we are looking to ride sunday and monday. no stupid distances but up to around 100-120km i suppose. dont mind hills, would like to take in bakewell at some point for obvious reasons! we are staying in matlock but could drive a bit of a way from there to a start point if need be. ive got a garmin 705 so ideally id like to put routes into that but i dont really trust it so would prefer they werent too complicated. id like a new bike while your at it :)
any help appreciated (routes that is). thanks

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    You can't really go wrong if you plan routes based on the minor roads and B-roads. Something like this would be nice:

Matlock to Hope Valley

Unfortunately if you want a route that's simple to navigate then you'll probably need to stick to the main roads, which won't be anywhere near as enjoyable IMO. If you just load a .gpx track onto your Garmin and follow the trail instead of using any auto-routing you can't really go wrong.
    More problems but still living....
  • Tommolad
    Tommolad Posts: 35
    Clay Cross is only 10 mile away from Matlock , Darley moor i take it ?
    Never been South of Clay Cross in me life cos its probably shiiiite .
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    http://matlock.mybikeclub.co.uk/forums/ ... -saturday-

Contact matlock cc or phone stanley fearn's shop where the salesmen and mechanics will probably know if there is a ride going out
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    I would suggest investing in OS 1:50,000 sheet 119 and working from that. Matlock is an awful place to start a ride unfortunately as it involves either riding up the A6 or climbing a stonking hill while still not warmed up.

One of my favourite little climbs is the lane from Hathersage that climbs up through Abney and past the gliding club. But there is just so much to go at in the Peak it's difficult to suggest anything specific. I tend only to use the A6 to get home if I'm knackered but it's popular with cyclists so you won't take motorists by surprise.

You could try riding north to Rowsley then through Chatsworth Park to Baslow and Curbar. TR in Curbar at the traffic lights to Grindleford and take the road to Hathersage. Before you reach Hathersage take the lane on the left signposted to the Gliding Club. After that it's up to you. You could work your way across to Monsal Dale via Great and Little Longstone. The ride down to Ashford-by-water and to Bakewell is easy.

Just get sheet 119 and enjoy the lanes. I usually carry it with me but it often stays in my pocket as I've been wandering round that area for a very long time on both motor and pedal cycles I can usually find my way around.

Stanley Fearn's in Matlock is an excellent shop with very knowledgeable and helpful staff.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • leona
    thanks for that. really should have started planning before yesterday.., not really sure what we'll do... we were hoping to ride to darley moore but looks like its busy road or busier road to get there from matlock.
    dont spose anyones out on sun/mon and wants 5 tag alongs?
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    Is that the Darley Moor motor cycle racing circuit? If it is, it's south of Ashbourne on the A515 and quite a long way from Matlock (15 miles, I guess). It's also a hilly ride though quite a pleasant one past Carsington reservoir but a stiff climb out of Ashbourne even if you use the lanes rather than the main road.

My club (Derby Mercury) used to a run a women's road race that passed the Darley Moor circuit. I suspect you may have got confused with Darley Dale which is quite close to Matlock. There's a Darley Abbey on the northern outskirts of Derby itself, too. Confusing isn't it?

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • leona
    no, i know its about that distance. its not a prob as the race is only 34 miles but not sure we'll fancy any stiff climbs on the way back... car it is then! mainly id like to have some sort of a plan for sun and mon!