Landis for the Shack?

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited August 2009 in Pro race
Possibly?

I'm not sure what the great story is - First guy to get stripped of his Tour title for doping? Or the hip?

It would be a spectacular misstep if he was signed.

And Bruyneel and Gallopin (booo) also confirmed to go.
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    According to Tw@tter, LA and Bruyneel were discussing the recruitment of four 10 year olds for the Shack in a desparate effort to bring down the teams average age.

Landis can be made great again. "We have the technology"
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 1,761
    Old boy nostalgia trip?

Ekimov might as well start riding again.

Gutted about Gallopin, he got away from Riis' shadow at CSC, and now he is under a bigger one.
  • He should make the Shack a shoe in for the Tour. :roll:
    Btw: Shouldn't that read: "We can make Landis great. Again, we have the technology."?
    The Shack builds it's foundation on Rock.

Yep, a big mistake, but in line with the rational behind this return.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    Shame about Gallopin - wonder how much Contador will miss him?
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    Keep your friends close and your enemies closer - after all Landis knows where the bodies are buried (allegedly)?
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    If Basso doesn't get to go to the Tour, I;ll be surprised if Landis does. This would really show how things have changed at ASO if they let Landis ride the Tour.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • That's how we fix the forum Iain. Post stuff early in the morning, then the hijackers will still be asleep and we can get some good debate in!

Like Blazing Saddles said, I wouldn't be surprised to see the likes of Ullrich, Tyler's twin, and Roberto Heras on his folding bike joining the Shack.
  • markwalker
    markwalker Posts: 953
    iainf72 wrote:
    Possibly?

I'm not sure what the great story is - First guy to get stripped of his Tour title for doping? Or the hip?

It would be a spectacular misstep if he was signed.

I thought Gallopin was one of the good guys??
  • That's how we fix the forum Iain. Post stuff early in the morning, then the hijackers will still be asleep and we can get some good debate in!
    I've read that thread and decided I want no part of it.

Tyler Hamilton has reinvented himself as a trainer........so..........

Next, watch Pat McNut pull Astana's PT pass, leaving Berto in a backwater and out in the Tour cold.
    Then, it ends up in Bruyneel's sweaty palm, at Rock Racing 2.
    Take out the opposition and it's cleaner than using the "irregular values" ploy.
    That boat sailed with his last, incredible statement.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • iainf72
    Rosseler and Steegmans are also off to the Shack apparantly.

They'll have a reasonable classics squad at this rate without a clear leader for those races. Unless Ballan ends up there.
  • bikerZA
    bikerZA Posts: 314
    Rumours of Landis going was a bit of a suprise for me. He hasn't really done much this year (as far as I know?), not sure what benefit he would add? And surely Lance would want to be the uber GC man, so why would he bring in another GC rider?
    Unless Landis isn't welcome at the Tour, so he would target the Giro or Vuelta.
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    Hasn't the press built the Landis thing up to be something it isn't? The original story from an interview in Dublin was:

Armstrong said he hadn’t actively considered Landis, who underwent hip-replacement surgery after being suspended for doping during the 2006 Tour. “I wouldn’t rule anything out,” Armstrong said. “He’s a great rider, a tremendous story.”

That reads as Armstrong replying to a journalist's question and not wanting to slag off a former teammate.
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    I'm with stagehopper on this. I think Armstrong just answered tactfully, not simply bursting into laughter and saying "F*** no!" when asked if he'd want Landis on his team, which is what I would've done. I'd be very surprised if The Shack went for Landis. This is a team that already has its American exposure guaranteed. In fact, it's probably had more exposure up to now than OUCH did in its whole existence. Not much to win, quite a bit to lose.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Landis won the tour and got busted out, but does that disqualify him from future
    TDF's? He has "done his time".While it may or may not be "popular" to have him there
    I would assume he is now considered OK by the powers that be???
  • You'd assume wrong. There's a few riders that made the Tour look stupid in thelast few years who will never be allowed back.

I'm thinking here about Basso, Landis, Vino and The Chicken, maybe Tom Boonen as riders who are just not welcome because they've peed in the pool in pone way or another. Any others?
  • iainf72
    Basso will be allowed back, no question. He's trying to show the organisers he's worthy of a spot etc.
  • dennisn
    You'd assume wrong. There's a few riders that made the Tour look stupid in thelast few years who will never be allowed back.

I'm thinking here about Basso, Landis, Vino and The Chicken, maybe Tom Boonen as riders who are just not welcome because they've peed in the pool in pone way or another. Any others?

Is that your opinion or a statement of fact???? Guess that's what I'm aking. The "powers that be" have already said NO to these guys???? It's written in stone???? :wink::wink:
  • It's a bit of an educated guess. Basso knew he wouldn't have been readily accepted this year and so didn't even bother trying to get on the Liquigas team.

Astana were refused entry in 08 because of Vino's indiscretions in 07, and I can't see a team with Landis on it being allowed to start. Look at it from ASO's point of view, he is the only Tour winner ever to be disqualified for doping, they're not gonna want that following him (and them) around France for three weeks
  • dennisn
    It's a bit of an educated guess. Basso knew he wouldn't have been readily accepted this year and so didn't even bother trying to get on the Liquigas team.

Astana were refused entry in 08 because of Vino's indiscretions in 07, and I can't see a team with Landis on it being allowed to start. Look at it from ASO's point of view, he is the only Tour winner ever to be disqualified for doping, they're not gonna want that following him (and them) around France for three weeks

Might make for some great soap opera. People who might not follow the race would
    tune in just because of the "publicity" it would cause. Plus all the FANS, whether they agreed with him being there or not, would definitely tune in to "get a handle on what's happening".
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    iainf72 wrote:

At present the Astana assistants, Gallopin, Ekimov, Yates and a couple of Kazacks. ?????
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972