Routes and Riding - am I missing something?

bikepigeon
bikepigeon Posts: 14
edited September 2009 in MTB rides
I have a general query about the Routes and Riding section of this site ... Is it just me or are does they way all the routes are shown leave us really short on sufficient detail for following MTB rides?

All I can find on each one is an approximation of where it goes on Google, without any description or even introduction. I'm really up for tapping into the immense experience of other rider's to try some new rides myself but I'd be sure to get lost on most of them with just a 72dpi google print in my hand, which don't show most of the off-road paths in any case. (Or is there a way to get these rides into the GPS I've just ordered off the eB - if so how?)

Many other sites and forum route listings out there seem to have far more detailed mapping, or else expanded descriptions of what it is, where to go, and even where to get a good cuppa or pint afterwards, but maybe I am just not looking at this section right (no jokes about beer googles, please). How can I find enough info about each of the rides here, or else could the standard of info shown be improved?

Can anyone enlighten me?

Comments

• Agreed, bit of a waste of space. It takes an eternity to load up, the routes are in no sort of order, searching through the various pages is PIA, and Google maps are ****. Unless there is a .gpx or similar that can de transposed into PROPER mapping software that section is more trouble than it's worth.
    Frank Yates
  • My gripe, is that it isn't searchable by location. Surely not that difficult as the information stiored is location based. A simple show me rides within n miles of this postcode.
    Northwind wrote: It's like I covered it in superglue and rode it through ebay.
  • NormalD
    NormalD Posts: 145
    The only success I've had is printing the map off and then working out the route on an OS map. :cry:

Post code search is a good idea.
    Normal Disk 2009

Genesis Equilibrium Tiagra 2011

FCN 10 (only cycle in once a week though)

Alfa 156 SW