Coast to coast - just about done on a hybrid

sonicred007
sonicred007 Posts: 1,091
edited September 2009 in Tour & expedition
Hi All

I came on here previously asking about tyre advice... I should have asked whether you thought my bike was appropriate... after doing the coast to coast, buckling a wheel (losing my back break as I had to release it to continue moving), 4 punctures (two caused by excessive front braking down steep hills, crashing on the Waskerley Way (spraining my shoulder in the process) and doing the last 35 miles without a spare inner tube... Parkhead Station only had mountain bits and the track pump had been robbed, then the bike shop in Consett didn't have 700 28 x 32 inner tubes - only 18 - 23

It was stupid to do it on one brake but I got a bee in my bonnet and carried on regardless

Now I'm at home I'm proud of my achievement but I wouldn't do it unassisted or solo again

Phew... glad to be home

Note to self - get a bike with mountain size wheel for the next trip... or get a mountain bike... not sure yet - the hybrid is strictly for roads and inner city at best... whinlatter pass was a juddery ol trek and then some for my poor arms

Now for the next challenge

Comments

• sonicred007
    I should add that the kindness of strangers was a great comfort and support at some fairly low moments for me and I thank them all for contributing to my achievement.

I may have been a little naive and reading the C2C website advice post riding the C2C it seems more obvious how I could have made life a little easier for myself

There's always next time - I've got friends who want to do it... and I've fancied a mountain bike for a long time

As always the BR was a great source
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Hi, sounds like a great trip!! What was your c2c Route?
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • sonicred007
    The sustrans one - Whitehaven to Tynemouth
  • Big Wib
    Big Wib Posts: 363
    The sustrans one - Whitehaven to Tynemouth

Just done this on a Spec Tricross with no problems - including the MTB route down from the Whinlatter pass (probably a mistake but made it :) ).

Only the one puncture (right at the end - didn't notice until I pulled away from the finish point) so lucky.

I defo would not recommend the Southern route through Newcastle though, stop start & v. boring
  • Ive been thinking of doing this on my Mountain Bike but if its all road then not really my cup of tea, would like to tackle off road/bridlepaths etc.
    Did you carry your gear or use the Sherpa system they have?
  • Big Wib
    Big Wib Posts: 363
    Graham K wrote:
    Ive been thinking of doing this on my Mountain Bike but if its all road then not really my cup of tea, would like to tackle off road/bridlepaths etc.
    Did you carry your gear or use the Sherpa system they have?

There are significant chunks that can be done off road, but even so there is probably more road than not on the offical route. At the moment, one of the big off road stretches (from Rookhope) is shut as it's the shooting season.

I carried my gear - but used B&B, might consider camping next time