coast of norway

weeve
weeve Posts: 393
edited September 2009 in Tour & expedition
anyone seen any online reports or reviews of cycle tours along the coast of norway...part or all of it, thanks

Comments

• Have a look at tonights edition of coast on BBC2, it will be on iplayer and repeated again this week. There are no real roads around the coast of Norway, best way to do the coast is by boat!
  • weeve
    yeah, just watched it on bbc here in NL. nice. The extension of the North Sea coast rout from her in NL to Denmark then Norway covers up to Bergen...its after that Im interested in to Lofoten.
  • I've driven south from Nord cap via Hammerfest, Narvic, Trondhiem, I wouldnt really rate it as a cycling route, theres only one road, Ok not that busy but not like a Dutch road with cycling tracks along side. there are long boring exposed stretches and towns and villages are far apart. Timimg is also crutial as even in late July we had light frosts in the night (it didnt get dark but temp fell)
    From Bergen around to Alesund there are roads but not continious without ferries It also rains alot! Scenery is fantastic if you can see it!
  • xilios
    xilios Posts: 170
    Check out this page http://www.eftel.com.au/~wheelbuddies/n ... /index.htm
    We would love to do this tour sometime in the future.
    cheers
  • There is a route following the coast as much as possible

http://www.northsea-cycle.com/default.a ... u=7&lang=1

there is a travelog here for the norway section running south from bergen.

http://mistymornings.net/travel/nordsjo ... day01.html

i have been to Bergen many times sadly without my bike, i am looking to do the route late next year early 2011 as i am still returning to fitness.
  • Opps i linked the wrong parts, here is a travelog of the route you are looking for

http://www.cycletourer.co.uk/cycletouri ... art1.shtml

the area looks lovely :D
  • Tim Farr
    Tim Farr Posts: 665
    I went to Norway with the bike - 2005 I think. Stansted to Haugesund by Ryanair, and Bergen - Newcastle for the return. I really enjoyed my trip and would like to return either on my own with the bike or with Mrs F (non-cyclist) and towing our caravan. However there is no direct ferry from the UK to Norway nowadays, the Newcastle - Bergen route was scrapped last year.

I've looked at flying and hiring a campervan - about £200 a day for the campervan!!!

Of course Norway is awash with oil and gas income, which was confirmed by the Coast programme last night, so the loss of tourist income by the cancellation of the ferry will hardly be missed. But it remains a crying shame that it's so difficult to get there.
    T Farr
  • weeve
    Yeah rain and more rain. Thats going to be a joy...anyway thanks folks. Feel free to add further comments. Dependant on work plans (or lack of them) its going to be few week fast tour with the Mrs or a early middle age gap year with a 5k km "leisure tour/race for one" from my real home (stockholm)and the Mrs to Nordkapp (err the long way round) as soon as the spring weather breaks. EIther way its a way to "get real fit" for something else already planned later next year. Well I'll either get fit or fxcked as Ive got to carry/tow bit of climbing gear round to keep in shape for the other trip.
  • jc4lab
    jc4lab Posts: 554
    Coast on Tv last night was all about the Coast of Norway but not from a cycling view though..Features Nickolas Crane of bike books fame,now a presenter..Maybe you can catch it again on Freeview or as a repeat maybe Sunday or whenever
    jc
  • I was there this June/July and spent a month cycling in the Lofoten Islands and then south of Trondheim to Oslo.

You should try to get to the Lofoten Islands - unmissable.

Most roads I went on tended to go up and up and then down and down, the highest reaching over 1,400 meters. I found a couple of great small routes that went inland - not really suitaboe for a road bike though. I got a train from Oslo up to Bodo - near the Lofoten Islands. It took 18 hours! Internal flights were very expensive. Intercity buses take bikes, for about 11 euro per trip.

I flew there with Ryanair and had no probs - just bear in mind 'Oslo aiport' is a couple of hours by train from the city itself.
    It's an uphill climb to the bottom
  • weeve wrote:
    anyone seen any online reports or reviews of cycle tours along the coast of norway...part or all of it, thanks
    We've done the NSCR from Bergen to Svinesund in 2005. The travelogue is on the mistymornings.net website (the link has already been posted here). In 2008 we followed another section of the National Cycle Route 1 from Floro to Trondheim. I'm currently working on the travelogue for this section. All that is up are the trip statistics see http://www.mistymornings.net/travel/200 ... index.html . The rest of the travelogue should be up before you head off next spring but feel free to ask if you have any particular questions. It would be a good way of motivating me :)

The usual route up from Trondheim is to follow the RV17 from Steinkjer. Besides the wheelbuddies site there is also a travelogue to be found here http://blissonwheels.com/kystriksveien/index.htm There is a small free guide available from tourist offices in Norway for this route which is worth getting. There are a few tunnels closed to cyclists apparently. The cycle route and tunnel guide map from the SLF www.slf.no shows all (most) of the longer cycle routes and also has tunnel information. http://www.modulez.no/zkv27/?action=tip&prod_id=31195

HTH
    Stan
  • cycladelic wrote:
    [snip]

I flew there with Ryanair and had no probs - just bear in mind 'Oslo aiport' is a couple of hours by train from the city itself.
    Ryanair flies to Oslo Torp, which is actually Sandefjord Airport. This is indeed a couple of hours from the centre of Oslo. Oslo Gardemoen is the main international airport, not the kind of airport you expect Ryanair to use. Gardemoen to Oslo Sentrum takes less than half an hour using a local train and even less if you take the Airport Express train (which is somewhat more expensive).
    Regards
    Stan
  • Stan - your website was very useful at the planning stage of my trip and I got a lot of info from it - many thanks!

I booked my flight with Ryanair and actually flew from 'Barcelona' to 'Oslo' - both of these airports are a long way from the city centres. Having said that, when I flew with Ryanair from 'Oslo' to 'Glasgow' - Preswick to you and me - the flight was actually free; I just had to pay for the bike, bag and tax. Of course, you usually have to book about 2 or 3 weeks in advance to get these bargains.
    It's an uphill climb to the bottom
  • thanks for the additional links Stan, have really loved reading your logs this past few months :)
  • cycladelic wrote:
    Stan - your website was very useful at the planning stage of my trip and I got a lot of info from it - many thanks!
    Good to hear :)
    Regards
    Stan
  • thanks for the additional links Stan, have really loved reading your logs this past few months :)
    That is good to hear too, I needed some encouragement, especially after this summer's tour :)

As regards links I'd also try www.trentobike.org if you haven't found it already. You can search per country for travelogues and there are a few more cycle tours of Norway described there. I'm still slightly surprised by the lack of travelogues in English about Norway. If you can read German or Dutch or Norwegian you will find more information about cycling in Norway on the net.
    Regards
    Stan