What home speakers + amplifier

13»

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    FLAC files are lossless at various high bit rates, for example, 48KHz, 88.2KHz and 96KHz (check each title for actual details). The quality is identical to that of an SACD (Stereo only). The format will be dependent on the actual recording method we used originally. No DSD files are offered as it is not possible to play them back on a PC so an equivalent PCM format is offered. These files offer true "studio quality" and are what was used by Linn to produce the production version of our CD releases. Be sure to check compatibility with your computer sound card etc before you download a file and note that large amounts of storage space are required for each track.

http://www.linnrecords.com/linn-formats.aspx
    Joe, I'm sorry but you really don't seem to know what it is you're talking about.
    FLAC is a format of digital audio. Just being FLAC does not make it any better than a CD.

Had you said that it was possible to buy very high quality music from Linn, then fine. FLAC can indeed be of higher quality than 44.1KHz, 16-bit - and I indeed didn't know that Linn sold albums in such a format. However, what they have on offer is a very small range.
    Are Linn planning on releasing every single album in such a format?

What exactly is your point? or are you just spouting marketing crap at us?

And I still maintain that 16 bit audio has more than enough dynamic range for any home setup.
  • Jeez-o, I'm only trying to join in the conversation, I didn't realise you had to have an 'I'm a bloody sound engineer' degree to join in!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    FLAC files are lossless at various high bit rates, for example, 48KHz, 88.2KHz and 96KHz (check each title for actual details). The quality is identical to that of an SACD (Stereo only). The format will be dependent on the actual recording method we used originally. No DSD files are offered as it is not possible to play them back on a PC so an equivalent PCM format is offered. These files offer true "studio quality" and are what was used by Linn to produce the production version of our CD releases. Be sure to check compatibility with your computer sound card etc before you download a file and note that large amounts of storage space are required for each track.

http://www.linnrecords.com/linn-formats.aspx

Seems to be for a very select material that Linn has got hold of. It won't make any difference if you rip stuff from your normal CDs.

I have a SACD player built into my DVD player - is rubbish because DAC is awful! And I doubt most people could hear the difference with a good one.
  • Anonymous
    Jeez-o, I'm only trying to join in the conversation, I didn't realise you had to have an 'I'm a bloody sound engineer' degree to join in!
    Well stop trying to discuss digital audio engineering, with a sound engineer then :roll:
  • supersonic
    Oooh, just spied these too:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Eltax-Speakers_W0 ... 286.c0.m14

Eltax Monitor III. Nice little speakers (that I use in my small room).
  • Jeez-o, I'm only trying to join in the conversation, I didn't realise you had to have an 'I'm a bloody sound engineer' degree to join in!

I actually have one of those :D
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    the thing is you do need to make some desisions on what format to have the data so you can use it on what you want.

I have everything ripped two times.

Once in ACC for the iPhone and also as FLAC files for the squeezebox and the stereo.

I could have just used Apple lossless but hate being tied to one "brand".
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Might be a bit over budget but I have Bose 301s, a Teac Reference 300 system and good cable - a pretty cheap way of getting very good sound - which unless you have mega priced software, can only be sourced on CD or vinyl. MP3s and the like are handy but most are too compressed so you lose loads of detail.
  • supersonic
    Matt do you have this speaker cable?

Audioquest Everest
  • Anonymous
    :lol:
    Holy sweet mary mother of satan!
    What the hell is WRONG with these people!
  • supersonic
    Apparently the 16 silver cores have their own band of elven wizards who capture the evil alien electrons that cause the sound quality to be degraded, while the dwarves furiously mine away at those pesky oxide diodes.
  • on a budget just an example couldnt find my model

http://base.google.co.uk/base/a/395259/ ... 5275663286

Acoustic Solutions is amazingly good for price in lot of houses setting up digital tv through my job ended up buying one form argos for 80 does the job well

just my opinion
    Life is not a spectator sport
  • bobs bikes
    bobs bikes Posts: 589
    are you really gonna sit and listen to the music, purely to hear the sprinkling of brushes on a 16 inch ride cymbel in g minor with the flutter of harp strings over a piano dampened to .3 reverb?

... no?
    buy a ghetto blaster and get back to work!. :lol:
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    supersonic wrote:
    Matt do you have this speaker cable?

Audioquest Everest

Nope but very similar. TBH it was given to me but is top notch.
  • supersonic
    bobs bikes wrote:
    are you really gonna sit and listen to the music, purely to hear the sprinkling of brushes on a 16 inch ride cymbel in g minor with the flutter of harp strings over a piano dampened to .3 reverb?

... no?
    buy a ghetto blaster and get back to work!. :lol:

Lol, not for background listening, but for serious listening it is suprising how much better a seperates system sounds than the cheap micro systems.
  • tis true, i use high end sony and eltax stuff as i do a lot of mastering for my band at home.
    although, what he was looking for was a bit of kit to have in his workshop, not to listen to wagner at a dinner party with cheese and crepes!
    :lol:
    i have a radio in my workshop. and it only picks up the local station... in mono!
    rwalworth wrote:
    supersonic wrote:
    What size room do you have? And what are the furnishings like? Can you accomodate floorstanders? Do you need a source as well ie CD player?

All the source I need would be an aux line input, and I think you can get amps which accomodate these?

In terms of room theres no issue there as they are going into my bike workshop :twisted: so I can listen to fusion reggae while I tinker.
  • what about a wireless setup i have that in my room at the moment using some plug in amp which just plugs in the plug socket and it picks up the ad-hoc signal from the amp and puts it through the speakers works fine for me
  • speakers works fine for me

you have answerd it urself if u like it then FINE

ps sorry pissed again
    Life is not a spectator sport