2010 Trek 1.5 Compact or Boardman Comp - thoughts?

Chicane-UK
Chicane-UK Posts: 105
edited August 2009 in Road beginners
Hi folks..

I recently sold my Specialized Allez Double after a good year or so's riding with the intention of buying something a little nicer, a little better equipped but still within my employers cycle scheme limit of £750.

After a disasterous foray to get measured up for a Cube Peloton (which turned out to be a load more expensive than I first expected - and they couldn't get my size anyway as it's end of line) I'm back to the drawing board and am struggling to find something worth upgrading too.

My original idea was to get something with a better level of kit all round than the Sora equipped Allez but as prices on bikes seem to have gone up everywhere on the big brands and equipment levels seem to be dropping, I'm struggling to find a bike that fits this bill.

I've settled now on the new 2010 Trek 1.5 Compact or the Boardman Comp.. I know everyone will say "ride both and see how you feel" - I know I need to ride them but just wanted to get an opinion on quality and specification for both of these bikes. On paper the Boardman looks great in terms of spec and is better than the Trek I think (though being a biking newbie I could be way off the mark here!) but my local agent for Boardman bikes would of course be Halfrauds whereas the trek would come from a well respected LBS who I'd trust to work on the bike any time...

I'm leaning towards the Trek at this point even though it's right on the line in terms of budget..

Thanks.
Planet X Nanolight High Modulus (Roadie) | 2008 Giant Bowery (Fixie)

Comments

• looking at how they've down specced the Trek I'd go for the boardman IMO.
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    You might struggle to find a Halfords that will let you test ride...
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    See if you can get a 2009 Trek 1.5. I've got a Trek 1.9 and I love it. I've heard that the Boardman is good, but the service from Halfords is appauling !!! You'll definitely get better service from your LBS.

Oh yeah.......... try both :wink:
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    All of these points have been discussed multiple times in various titled threads (hard to search them all i know). It boils down to if yourself or a friend are able mechanics, then a boardman would be my choice.

However if you regularly use your lbs or want some support till your confident of maintaining the basics then the trek is the better solution.
  • Chicane-UK
    Apologies as I know "this bike vs this bike" threads do come up all the time.. I did try and do a bit of searching on both of these models but the current Trek is too new I think for any archived comments and just hoped someone who worked at a shop who stocks them might have had them in, cast an eye over them and decided if they looked good.

I know the Boardman bikes seem to get generally positive reviews but I did hear of a few quality issues requiring visits back to the shop to get stuff fixed under warranty and thats where the fear of having to go back to Halfords came up.. my LBS is good but they only touch bikes that they sell because of the amount of work they have on all the time so I couldn't buy the Boardman and take it to them.

I'm technically minded and not afraid to put my hands to spanners to mend stuff but if something is under warranty I'd rather get the shop to fix it first..

I think the Trek is probably going to win out really for support / convenience rather than any other reason!

Thanks again.
  • Takis61
    Takis61 Posts: 239
    I think the other issue with Boardman is availability at the moment ?
    Trek comes infor a fair share of criticism but I think they make great products personally.
    Good luck with the purchase, I still have my Allez double but you will really notice an improvement when you upgrade.
    My knees hurt !
  • I'd agree with trying to source a 2009 1.5 if you can. Test ride the new one then order the old one online you'll know it fits then.
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • Chicane-UK
    I believe my LBS still has stock of the 2009 and it's about 75 quid cheaper!

I'll have to check it out tomorrow.. just hoping that colour scheme is better in the metal! :)
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    Chicane-UK wrote:
    I believe my LBS still has stock of the 2009 and it's about 75 quid cheaper!

I'll have to check it out tomorrow.. just hoping that colour scheme is better in the metal! :)

I'd grab it if they've got it in stock and it fits well.

Colour is always a matter of taste, so you'll have to judge when you see it. It does look better in the metal than in pics though, and after seeing one in sunlight, better again outside than under bike shop lights.
  • Chicane-UK
    Popped into the LBS at lunch time. Checked me out on a few different frames and quickly settled on the 58cm as being the right size for me - but - predictably they had no more stock of the 2009 1.5 in a 58cm :(

But I had a good look at the 2010 and it looked pretty nice to be honest. I took a 1.2 in 58cm out for a quick 1 mile ride round the block and really enjoyed it so happily put in my order for the 1.5 there and then.

Aaaaannnd now the waiting begins! :)
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    Why won't the lbs work on bikes not bought from them?

If I take a bike bought from my lbs back to them with an issue, they fix it under warranty (depending on the issue) or I pay for the repairs and parts.

if I take a bike bought elsewhere to my lbs, I pay for the repair and parts.

How is the lbs loosing out?

All the bike shops I know will work on any bike they are asked too look at.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • Chicane-UK
    I think it's their policy simply because of how busy they are. They seem to have a lot of staff on but I think they're doing so much business, they struggle to meet demand even for bikes they've sold let alone other bikes off other shops..

My mate just got his Trek hybrid in today for some maintenance - had to book it in a week in advance and they don't reckon he'll get it back till Saturday at the earliest :(
  • I'd agree with trying to source a 2009 1.5 if you can. Test ride the new one then order the old one online you'll know it fits then.

Be wary...I test rode a 2009 1.5 in 56cms as well as a 2010 model of the same size.

The 2009 model was a much better fit.
    Whyte 905 (2009)
    Trek 1.5 (2009)
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp (2007)