Russell Downing

sonny73
sonny73 Posts: 2,203
edited August 2009 in Pro race
I've not been following his career in detail, but watching him win the Tour of Ireland over the weekend and today at lunch on the highlights show it got me to thinking he's had a good track record past and why has he not picked up a contract from a bigger, possibly even pro tour team?
Simply can he not cut the mustard in the big time do you think? Would Sky be interested maybe?

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    I saw Brailsford quoted today, saying that Sky were looking at him.

Although it's not the biggest race in the world, winning Ireland shows he can cope at a higher level.

Maybe it's just never really interested him. A friend of mine is like that (in a different sport) - an Olympics standard talent, but no interest in putting in the necessary commitment.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • sonny73
    RichN95 wrote:

Although it's not the biggest race in the world, winning Ireland shows he can cope at a higher level.

Maybe it's just never really interested him. A friend of mine is like that (in a different sport) - an Olympics standard talent, but no interest in putting in the necessary commitment.

That's interesting to know, I certainly think his ability warrants the Sky interest.
  • jim one
    jim one Posts: 183
    I would like to point out that the last Saxo bank man he cracked was none other than Karstoon Kroon who was 2nd in amstel gold. Ok he might not be in the same kind of form, but you dont crack a man of that calibre on a punchy hill unless you are a rider of the highst class.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    I guess there could be a few possible reasons as to why he'd rather ride for a UK based team rather than go down the Continental Pro route. I certainly doubt that it could be put down to a "lack of commitment" as I bet he trains no differently to a Pro Tour level rider.

- family ties and commitments in the UK
    - he likes winning............a lot!
    - perceived or real fears he'd have to turn to PEDs to make it on the Continent

I think he is also s bit of a late bloomer as his career has only really flourished in the past few seasons - certainly he's been on an upward trajectory since becoming National Champion in 2005. He's now 31.

There was also the disastrous episode where he went to race in the US (for HealthNet / Maxxis?) but there was a cork-up about getting the right paperwork and he was refused re-entry to the US after popping home because he didn't have a work visa.

http://www.fusion-media.co.uk/russdowning/
  • wasn't russell downing in the Linda McCartney healthnet "fail" ship.
  • dave milne
    dave milne Posts: 703
    I don't think it's due to lack of commitment, he's been quoted as saying he was really peeved to still be racing in the UK this year. His boss was almost in tears after last years tour of ireland as no one seems to realise how good he is.

certainly good enough for a crack with a pro team, reckon he might make a pretty good classics rider
  • sonny73
    dave milne wrote:
    certainly good enough for a crack with a pro team, reckon he might make a pretty good classics rider

+1 on that...
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    He's been head and shoulders above every other UK based pro for a while now. i just hope its not too late for him to blossom on a pro team..
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Yeah I'd love to see him get a crack at riding classics and small stage races next year
  • claudb
    claudb Posts: 212
    Was he not about GB's best placed finisher in last year's Worlds RR ???
  • celbianchi
    celbianchi Posts: 854
    claudb wrote:

Indeed he was, came in with Bettini.
    Makes it a bit of a joke that he appears like he won't get a ride this year.
  • Bronzie
    claudb wrote:
    He was the ONLY finisher of the 6 that started for GB.

Love this picture I took of him......................100% committed!

2898467843_c75fa3cc8b.jpg
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    I sort-of remember him signed for a Belgian team (Landboukredit ?)...
    - but no : was that Dean ?

Had a Google and found the guy's official website
    http://www.fusion-media.co.uk/russdowning/

Unfortunately not exactly uptodate, talks about what he's looking forward to doing in 2008 and the palmares is 2006-and-earlier
  • Bronzie
    wasn't russell downing in the Linda McCartney
    Yeah - his first professional team I think.............until it went bust

http://www.pelotonwebdesigns.com/lindam ... 9/team.htm
  • Bronzie
    andy_wrx wrote:
    I sort-of remember him signed for a Belgian team (Landboukredit ?)...
    Was it the DFL/Cyclingnews team - think they went belly-up on him too

Good article about him here:
    http://www.chrissidwells.com/archive/downings.htm
  • Yeah I think both brothers were on the cyclingnews team.

I follow Dean on Twitter and he's genrally pretty interesting, normal stuff like
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    I was on the edge of my seat watching him win in Ireland- absolutley thrilled to see him succeed against the big boys. If only he had been a few years younger, he could have been an alumnus of The Academy.

Many thanks for the interesting link- anyone know what the problem with Roger Hammond was?
  • Bronzie
    He's looking at other teams this year now. Good timing winning the Tour of Ireland right before the crunch signing period.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/downing ... ct-in-2010
  • dcj
    dcj Posts: 395
    i so enjoyed watching that final stage. it was looking so predictable the same would happen as last year, when the guys were taking it in turns to jump up the road.

then something amazing happened. Downing was near the front, glanced back and jumped. the camera pointed up the road to see him moving away up the road, gaining ground, then slowly the shot panned round to the group of pro tour riders.

i thought hang on, they looked abolutely stuffed, with their tongues hanging out.
    that single moment was the one for me. the most amazing TV cycling image of 2009.

i hope if there is any justice he gets to be on a pro tour squad next year.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Sounds like, from the discussions the boys were having on this week's podcast, that a few Pro Tour level teams are showing some interest.

Also sounds like he's going to the Worlds as well - good stuff.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • nick hanson
    nick hanson Posts: 1,655
    RichN95 wrote:

As is reported in the Cycling press,He's just had BAD luck,McCartney team folds as he turns pro.Couldn't renew his visa to continue racing in America,to name a couple of problems.The guy wants it bad,just not getting the breaks.
    One things for sure,That McCartney's got some answering to do.Folded on a lot of good guys
    For one,John Tanner.Just about to start a Career in the Fire Brigade,then gets offered a contracy with Mc.Turns down the Service to try his hand (& there WAS big talent who totally missed out)
    Seems he's self employed now,busy in the summer,according to the other weeks cycling weekly :(
    so many cols,so little time!
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    That McCartney's got some answering to do.

We are talking about the late Linda McCartney, who died that year? I'm sure she had a few other things on her mind other than some guys riding around on push bikes.

Unfortunate, is how I would describe it.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    RichN95 wrote:

As is reported in the Cycling press,He's just had BAD luck,McCartney team folds as he turns pro.Couldn't renew his visa to continue racing in America,to name a couple of problems.The guy wants it bad,just not getting the breaks.
    One things for sure,That McCartney's got some answering to do.Folded on a lot of good guys
    For one,John Tanner.Just about to start a Career in the Fire Brigade,then gets offered a contracy with Mc.Turns down the Service to try his hand (& there WAS big talent who totally missed out)
    Seems he's self employed now,busy in the summer,according to the other weeks cycling weekly :(

I was just speculating - I know nothing of the man bar a few results. Sometimes sportsmen like to stay where they are at a lower level (Matt Le Tissier for example). It would appear that Mr Downing isn't one. Hopefully he can become like a British Chris Horner (making an impact on the continent after years of domestic success)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Bronzie
    dulldave wrote:
    That McCartney's got some answering to do.

We are talking about the late Linda McCartney, who died that year? I'm sure she had a few other things on her mind other than some guys riding around on push bikes.

Unfortunate, is how I would describe it.
    She didn't run the team though, she was just the name behind the main sponsor (Linda McCartney Foods) - I think it came down to mismanagement by the team:
    http://ssl.velonews.com/article/165/mcc ... team-folds

They had quite a list of riders on the books at the time.............including a certain Mr B. Wiggins.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    McCartney sponsored the team but it was the (mis)management that was the problem. It was a v.sad story that prob.cost people like Downing and Tanner their chance to ride in a bigger league.
    M.Rushton
  • giner1961
    giner1961 Posts: 135
    Yep have to admit watching Downing on the last stage of the tour of Ireland, he was mighty impressive, and even more so on the circuit finish and up St Patrick's hill.