Enduro racing - no support crew :-(

gmillsy
gmillsy Posts: 37
edited September 2009 in XC and Enduro
Hi all,

I'm lined up to do a 40 mile enduro at the end of the month, but likely to be doing it on my own sans-supporters :(

Does anyone have any advice on what to do regarding feeding? i tend to race with bottles, so would like to replenish my supply at least once during the race. I guess i could leave bottles somewhere to pick up each lap - has anyone had any experience doing this? i assume no one would steal them/chuck them away whilst i was racing?

Cheers!

G

Comments

• Andy
    Andy Posts: 8,207
    Is it a 40 mile loop or laps of a smaller course?
  • gmillsy
    andrew156 wrote:
    Is it a 40 mile loop or laps of a smaller course?

Hi,

it's 4 laps of a 10 mile course

G
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    On the Gorrick Enduro which is similar being multiple laps of approx 11 miles we tend to leave a bag with bottles, energy gels, bars, bananas etc in it, near the start. Then collect what we need as we need it. No problems with stuff going missing.
  • gmillsy
    Cool, thanks clanton that's really useful to know.

Much appreciated

G
  • SiLanc
    SiLanc Posts: 180
    I've done around 30 races now and never had anything go missing...I have lost things though when I've been a bit confused afterwards!

Put your bottles in a bag which will stand out to you so you can find it easily. Nothing worse than using a bag you got free at a race and then finding out loads of other people had the same idea and all the bags look the same :)

Enjoy!
    Lap by lap analysis, videos, photos, race reports and a map of race locations www.xcenduro.co.uk
  • Ridg
    Ridg Posts: 98
    as said either get yourself a distinctive bag, or a couple of the cheap plastic lidded boxes from wilk and use them as your pit station.

if you've got enough bottles you can mix up everything you need for the race and leave it in the box / bag (with icepacks weather dependant), or if you've only got enough bottles, take a couple of bottles to mix the drink with, you might also find a funnel is useful, as in the wind powder can be hard to get into the bottle.

Most events will have their own water stations, but if you assume they don't you wont go wrong.

Personally i use a plastic box, as this fits easily in the car boot, and is good for then keeping wet bike gear in after the event.
  • how many bottles do you think you'll need?

you could have two on the frame and get on of those TT bottle holders that go behind the saddle. Then no stopping!
  • I did the Thetford Summer Series this year, 4 hour races over 6-7 mile courses. I used a 2 ltr Camelbak which I refilled after 2 hours riding. As for food I took a Torq gel every hour on the hour. I was tired by the end of the race but never ran out of energy or de-hydrated.
    Parkpre Pro Elite 94 - Parkpre Pro Image 94 - Parkpre Team 925 SS 94 - Parkpre Pro 825 95 - Marin Mount Vision Hotrod 97 - Specialized Rockhopper 98 - Trek SL1000 07 - Rocky Mountain Vertex 50 09
  • Mountain Mayhem had a marquee for solo riders to store their gear near the start.
    Set2Rise had the solo riders car park right by the start.
    Bristol & Cheddar Bike Fest have a gazebo near the start.
    I put all my gels, drinks, tools, spares, etc. in a tote box. Most other solo riders do the same. Never heard of any problems with people having their stuff nicked.
    I am a mountain biking god.
    Unfortunately, my bike's an atheist.