2007 Campag Centaur - dropped feature or cheap OEM version?

caw35slr
caw35slr Posts: 439
edited August 2009 in Workshop
Here's a puzzle.

My Pacer has a Centaur triple groupset circa 2006. It was my first recent roadbike and one of the things I really like about the shifters is the ability to perform a mass upshift at the top of a hill using the right-hand thumb shifter. I think I can shift 8 gears in one push.

I have a bike with 2007 Chorus and it has the same arrangement on the right shifter: there's a correspondingly long slot beneath the thumb button that allows for a mass shift.

Now, I have a friend who has had a Centaur-clad Viner (2007 or 2008 groupset) for a while. It was only when he bought an older bike recently (fitted with an older Daytona gruppo) that he realised that something was missing from his Viner: the Centaur bike can only shift to smaller cogs one gear at a time. It isn't malfunctioning, it simply isn't capable of a multiple shift - the slot for the mouse ear is about one centimetre long.

So, has this feature been removed from Centaur shifters at some point, or is this Viner fitted with an OEM version of the Centaur groupset that has been simplified in order to reduce costs?

Comments

• thiscocks
    thiscocks Posts: 549
    I can multishift up and down on my 09 centaur as you should be able to. Not sure as much as 8 gears at a time but about 4-5 I think.

Maybe his was a special modded one for TT or something?
  • caw35slr
    Nope, my friend's Centaur has un-modified Ergopower shifters for drop bars.

I found this quote here:
    Up to the 2007 model year, all Ergopower versions except the very cheapest (Xenon) allow multiple shifting in both directions. ... In 2007, the Mirage, Veloce and Centaur groups adopted the inferior internal mechanism of the Xenon shifters, and can only make one upshift at a time. They are also less robust and less rebuildable than earlier models. 2007 Record and Chorus Ergo shifters retain the multi-shift facility.

So it looks like the feature was taken away from Centaur in 2007 but, from your comment, it would appear to have returned in 2009.
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    As already suggested, '07 and '08 Centaur and below lost the multi change (and front mech trim) facility. I fitted Chorus levers with Centuar everything else to get around the problem.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • caw35slr
    Question answered. Many thanks!
  • thiscocks
    thiscocks Posts: 549
    weird, wonder why they did that?
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,704
    thiscocks wrote:
    weird, wonder why they did that?
    To give people a reason to buy Chorus/Record.
  • tenor
    tenor Posts: 278
    To their credit, Campagnolo realised that they had downspecced Centaur and Veloce too far in 07 and corrected the error in 09.
    The multiple shift is one of the tangible benefits over the other manufactures - particlulry in this age of 16 tooth chain ring difference.
  • caw35slr
    tenor wrote:
    The multiple shift is one of the tangible benefits over the other manufactures - particlulry in this age of 16 tooth chain ring difference.

Amen. Having move from triple to compact, I can vouch for this.