Road shoe v MTB shoe?

dUNC
dUNC Posts: 73
edited August 2009 in Road beginners
Hi.

I'm in the market for a new pair of shoes. I currently have some Shimano MTB shoes which have served me well for my commute, but are starting to fall to bits.

I have a Specialized Sirrus rather than a proper road bike but am considering a pair of road shoes. However, I'd like to be clear on the difference first

MTB shoes always seemed a no brainer for a commute given you can walk in them, but what advantage do road shoes have over MTB that you'd give up "walkability"? Is it the stiffer sole for better power transfer?

I'm trying to get into more weekend riding so I don't spend my life commutting (but to be fair after a 32 mile daily commute the weekend is usually spent resting!) but if commutting was what I spent the majority of time doing should I just get a MTB shoe again? I'm also looking to upgrade to a "proper" roadbike in the next year or so, so would want the appropriate geat for that also.

Comments

• mikeq
    mikeq Posts: 141
    if you are doing a lot of walking on your commute then probably a MTB shoe is best.

I commute every day but have road shoes as the amount of walking I do is minimal, usually just within the train station. I do have MTB pedals though (SPD) rather than proper road pedals.

My Specialized shoes can take most types of cleat. So if you go for an SPD type pedal you can use both road shoes and MTB shoes on the same pedals.
    Cycling from Glasgow to Paris to raise funds for Asthma UK

www.velochallenge.org
  • dUNC
    I don't have any walking really - just out to the shed in the morning, then up to the office once I park up. Guess the better question is just how hard is it to walk in road shoes? :)

Have you used MTB shoes as well and if so how do you find they differ?

I did notice that there are some (most?) that don't work with SPD pedals which I presume are more MTB specific then? What advantages do non-SPD pedals have for a roadie (weight I presume, anything else?)?
  • mikeq
    mikeq Posts: 141
    Never had MTB shoes, when I first went to clipless pedals my LBS suggested going for the SPDs with the road shoes, that way I would have the option to switch to MTB shoes should I need to.

Not had any issues walking in road shoes though, nearly slipped onto my arse a couple of times but in general they are okay to walk in.

Not sure on the benefits of "proper" road pedals. Larger contact area perhaps, how much that matters with a stiff road shoe I'm not sure. From looking at pics of road pedals it looks like you can only clip in on one face of the pedal, on the SPDs you can clip into either face, to me this is an advantage. But wait to be corrected if that is not the case.

You can get adapters to alter 3 hole road shoes to work with SPD cleats, I'm looking at some SIDI shoes that I like the look of and see that they also sell adapters to convert them.

Mike
    Cycling from Glasgow to Paris to raise funds for Asthma UK

www.velochallenge.org
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    The whole walking into the office and stacking it on the polished floor never has appealed !
    I've always used mtb / spd's for commuting and proper road shoes at the weekends.
    Power transfer is slightly better (tho top range carbon soled mtb race shoes are nearly as stiff!).
    Other then the whole walking issues of road shoes (ha carbon soles are even worse...slippy as and as they dont flex you walk like youve done something in your shorts!) mtb / spd's are miles easier to clip in and out of...mtb pedals are (normally) double sided making stop/starting far easier....and far safer !
  • Road shoes are stiffer and are very good for power transfer (read: more effient). They are a one sided clip in, rather than the two sided mtb pedals. To be honest, if you do stop start riding i.e. round town, then MTB pedals are better. If you are riding with no real stopping, then road pedals are better.
    Also, MTB shoes are easy to walk in, road shoes not. For the distance your doing, get really good quaility shoes, either road or MTB. It'll be worth it.

Summary:
    If you walk any real distance, ride round town or don't have money for new pedals AND shoes, get MTB shoes.
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.
  • Road shoes are stiffer and are very good for power transfer (read: more effient). They are a one sided clip in, rather than the two sided mtb pedals. To be honest, if you do stop start riding i.e. round town, then MTB pedals are better. If you are riding with no real stopping, then road pedals are better.
    Also, MTB shoes are easy to walk in, road shoes not. For the distance your doing, get really good quaility shoes, either road or MTB. It'll be worth it.

Summary:
    If you walk any real distance, ride round town or don't have money for new pedals AND shoes, get MTB shoes.

What he said. :D
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • skinson
    skinson Posts: 362
    I've only ever used MTB shoes and pedals. I like the fact the pedals are double sided as I find it far easier to clip and out. Never had any problems with hot spots but then I've never ridden more than 50-60 miles! The shoes (shimano's|)| have very stiff soles but as I hardly walk anywhere in them it doesn't really matter.
    Dave
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Unless you are racing I would recommend SPD's with a stiff sole.

You get the convenience of easier walking with very little drop in performance.

Works for me :P
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • dUNC
    Cool, thanks for all of the advice guys - just wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything when I made my earlier "no brainer" decision! I'll have a look then - anyone have any good MTB recommendations? I see some that look less like MTB shoes (mine look a bit like hiking shoes) and more like road shoes anyway?
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    I use Sidis.

Beware they are very comfy.

If you try some on you will buy, regardless of price 8)
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • fatgit
    fatgit Posts: 166
    I use Shimano M076 shoes, they do a road shoe that looks the same!
  • sicknote
    sicknote Posts: 901
    I use shimano MO75 but wish I had got the right size when I got my DHB M1's as I got them for £35 ( now £46.99 :( ). they have a much stiffer sole but got a size too small.
  • dUNC
    Cool, thanks guys.