Creaky creak doing my head in

andy83
andy83 Posts: 1,558
edited August 2009 in The workshop
ok i have a horrible creaking noise coming from what i thought was my bottom bracket, so sat tightened everything up and went for ride and all was silent

then i went to work yesterday and creaking was going mad, but disapears when i get out of the saddle. Thought it could be seat post but its not lose or anything

could a drop of lube/oil in the right places help??

Comments

• will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    have you checked that the seat is fastened to the seatpost firmly? THis is a good place for creaks.
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    If it disappears when out of the saddle, ot must be either seatpost or saddle rails. Have you greased the seatpost (if alu)? Also if there is a shim fitted, remove this and grease both sides of this.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Yep I've just cured this one, remove clean and grease the seatpost. It had been doing my head in I thought it was the cranks or BB but it's silent now.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Obviously if it's a carbon seat post, don't use grease, use carbone paste
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    Cheers for all replies
    prawny wrote:
    Yep I've just cured this one, remove clean and grease the seatpost. It had been doing my head in I thought it was the cranks or BB but it's silent now.

first i thought it was my cleats so pedaled on the flat side of my pedals and still there. Think must be seat post with my lovely fat a$$

Which grease did you use, any recomendations off of the wiggle people? putting order in and might aswell add some
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I got some TF2 grease from evans cuz it woz the cheapest innit :?

I think any old grease will do, you can get clear grease from cycle surgery in town, but the TF2 grease is £4 nuff said

P.S. I also thought it was my cleats, it started the same time I got new shoes that put me back a few weeks :x
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017