Sardinia as a destination

Peter Herold
Peter Herold Posts: 59
edited August 2010 in MTB general
We live in Sardinia and run a guesthouse there for climbers, walkers and cyclists (road and MTB). Of all these sports, mountain biking is the least developed in terms of documented/signed trails, though this is changing as we document routes and there's the Rally di Sardegna mountain bike in early June each year in Ogliastra where we live, which in 2008 had 25 participants, 2009 52...the organisers ask us, "How can we get some British bikers coming?" This year there were Italians, Spaniards and a couple of Belgians. It's interesting that if we look at the traffic to our web site, and people turning up on the door asking for info on routes including in august, we get many more Italian-speaking people than English-speakers.

Why do people think this is?

Some ideas:-
1. Sardinia simply not known as a destination for MTB
2. for the moment "foreign" destinations = Morzines, Alpe d'Huez and people are happy with these/these are the fashionable places to go
3. people think it's too hot

What do you all think, please? Then at least I have some info on which to base my reply to the race organiser.

thanks Peter

Comments

• Herehttp://cablepress.smugmug.com/gallery/9153890_FqPba/1/618306167_YT3eo#618306167_YT3eo-A-LB is a very good promo vid which gives you a good idea of the riding and terrain
    Peter
  • Hi Peter, Not sure why this is. I've been on holiday to Sardinia (with the missus) for the last 3 years and think it is an excellent location.

Unfortunately I don't have the time to allocate to a bike only holiday at the moment but would love to in the future. When we come I always hire a bike , but they seem to be so low quality that you cannot get the full thrill of the trails. Up to now I have only ridden out from Alghero towards Capo Caccia.

I would love to be able to hire a decent road bike out there and ride from Capo Caccia to Bosa and back, what a fabulous coast road that is!

Also, any news on next years amateur sportive race around Sardinia (forgotten what it's called now!). Was it this years route based around Alghero or the year previous - looked awesome! One day I'll make it!

Best of luck with the venture,

regards

Phil
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    I spent 2 weeks in Sardinia with the RAF MTB squad back in (scratches head) about 1996. We went there because there's a NATO base (Decimomannu) that could accomodate us. The idea was that we'd go there for some off season training in March before attacking the UK NPS. Unfortunately it rained almost every day, so I guess we picked the wrong time of year!
    In any case, Sardinia is beautiful and in our experience, cyclist friendly.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    Sardinia would be great for somewhere to go that's off the beaten track but the practicalities would be off-putting for some, as folk prefer to drive to france with their own bikes rather than putting their bike on the plane
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • gaff_taff
    gaff_taff Posts: 346
    dodgy wrote:
    I spent 2 weeks in Sardinia with the RAF MTB squad back in (scratches head) about 1996. We went there because there's a NATO base (Decimomannu)

Haha that brings back some memorys, i lived there for 2 years cause my dad is in the RAF and he was stationed there, that was in 96 i belive. Best place i have ever lived or been too. So much sun but then the massive monsoons :shock:

Well maybe alot of people in this day and age with the recession etc cant afford to go there but the italians are local so can just drive, which is less hassle then flying there.

Taff
  • Also, any news on next years amateur sportive race around Sardinia (forgotten what it's called now!). Was it this years route based around Alghero or the year previous - looked awesome! One day I'll make it!

See http://www.peteranne.it/wp/?p=1029 Giro of Sardinia 2010 Porto Cervo 17-24 April 2010 cheers Peter
  • Cps
    Cps Posts: 356
    I'd love to go to Sardinia - but its seems so damn expensive !!!!!
  • Never considered it really, for me when I book my holidays i need to ask these questions.

1] Uplift Service?

2] DH trails with little to no uphills

3] Option for some XC blasts with ups and downs

4] Bike storage/repair facilities

5] Good Beer

If they all get a yes I generally just book and hope for the best you only live once as they say.
    I use all 9 inches.

Sabrina
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    I think Sardinia might appeal more to those looking to explore off-piste (to coin an expression) comparatively speaking. You'll need to be fit to properly get out into the moutains there.
  • thewaiter
    thewaiter Posts: 110
    Peter,

I have been to Sardinia a few times, it's a beautiful island but I image British people think it's predominantly a beach resort, I did until i ventured to the South of the island and found mountains!....
    Point 3 about the heat could be a consideration in summer the last thing i would want to do is cycle in 30-35c's heat... and there's also a cost factor, Sardinia is expensive. I believe it gets quiet out of season, maybe thats the time to promote, spring and autumn, I assume accomodation would be cheaper and the climate more favourable...

Best of luck.

Kevin
  • Just a couple of comments:-
    I'd love to go to Sardinia - but its seems so damn expensive !!!!!
    nd there's also a cost factor, Sardinia is expensive.

You fly Easyjet or Ryanair to Cagliari and then get to us on the bus, with your bike. Bus ride €12 no need to hire a car
    Point 3 about the heat could be a consideration in summer the last thing i would want to do is cycle in 30-35c's heat

The road race season here goes right through August, the last race was Sun 23rd and in August the races are held at high-up towns, attracting many strong visiting road cyclists on holiday. Seehttp://www.peteranne.it/wp/?p=1033 So the heat isn't a problem. For mountain biking, when you go more slowly, long climbs could be hot but if you work things out correctly (get a lift up and then cycle down) it's OK.

For any more info, and as you can tell from the post even though we have a guesthouse here we are interested in developing the area for people not staying with us as well as those staying with us, you can email me peter@peteranne.it

cheers Peter
  • Hi Peter,
    I have friends who run a mountain biking holiday company in Inverness here in Scotland.
    They are travelling to Sardinia during October with a view to expanding the holidays that they offer to include trips abroad for bikers looking for something a bit more adventurous and exciting. I mentioned your post to them this morning and they asked me to pass on their website details where you'll be able to contact them and perhaps get a dialogue going.
    Who knows, your businesses may be able to help each other out.

http://www.handiadventures.co.uk/
    http://www.youtube.com/handiadventures

Regards

Joe
  • Well, one year on a lot has changed. We have a mountainbike Ogliastra association, and loads of great rides. See our videos
    Peter
  • Samps
    Samps Posts: 10
    I went on holiday there about a month ago now for over 2 weeks with my girlfriend and we both had an amazing time. We took the bikes plus kayak's on the roof and drove our way there, as well as a stop off in Switzerland for 2 nights of course 8) .

Have to say though we only managed 1 small mountain bike ride in the entire time we were there! Ok, the holiday wasn't going to revolve around riding since the gf wasn't particularly keen on the idea anyway! And I had to endure a 3 hour horse riding trek which I had no control over and the horse was a bit "lively" to say the least!.. But I couldn't help thinking about the potential the place had whilst driving on some of the amazing coastal and mountain roads in the heart on the country. I think I'll definitely be visiting the place again with a view to cycling much, much more.

I agree with the comments about a road bike as well, there were times I wished I had my road bike with me as the scenery was simply breathtaking and the downhill twisties a joy to ride on I bet!
  • Peter Herold
    Peter Herold Posts: 59
    edited August 2010
    here's a nice foto for you all
    index_image309.jpg from this video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXDcCPBij1I
    Loads of singletrack, mountains rising to over 1000 m within 20 km of the coast,...very good for summer holidays, when people combine MTB and beach holiday.
    Peter info@mountainbikeogliastra.it
  • Hi Peter

A group of 4 of us are looking at doing a cost to coast in Sardinia next year. NW to SE. We are trying to be as independent as we can. We would like to take our own bikes as we are unsure what we would get on hire. We have looked at some farmhouse accommodation but at 50 euros a night B&B it is a bit pricey.

Any tips, routes or info you can offer would be greatly appreciated.