Events in Kent

mab_baker
mab_baker Posts: 45
edited April 2013 in XC and Enduro
Does anybody know of any events or event series in Kent or surrounding areas? I'm keen on finding some events for the autumn / winter.

Comments

• StefanP
    StefanP Posts: 429
    Gorrick Series I think has autumn events..

http://www.gorrick.com/calendar_page.php?type=R
  • anjs
    anjs Posts: 486
    Insomina at Bedgebury if you fancy 12 hours through out the night
  • breezer
    breezer Posts: 1,225
    Take a look at http://www.sketchymtb.co.uk and the racing section. You have just missed the last of the Fowlmead summer series but I think they do an autumn one. Gorrick as mentioned, Thetford, Souther XC on Sept 6th etc
  • bigdawg
    bigdawg Posts: 672
    anyone remember whipstakes farm (in kent) series from around 10 years ago... Used to love them, never did find out why they stopped...?
    dont knock on death\'s door.....

Ring the bell and leg it...that really pi**es him off....
  • bigdawg wrote:
    anyone remember whipstakes farm (in kent) series from around 10 years ago... Used to love them, never did find out why they stopped...?

Yes - I used to organise whipstakes summer series and unfortately it was stopped due to the foot and mouth in 2000 -

Would love to organise it again if we knew there was a public demand for it
  • bigdawg
    I think the essex mud sweat and gears series shows there is a demand for regular xc races inthe south east.... I think youll also be surprised to know that a lot of the people that were racing then are still racing now in the old blokes categories... 8) , I think the course would also suit the current mini enduro races (hour / 2 hour) format. Well advertised (and with the power of the 'nterweb thatll be easy) and I think youll have a full turnout... If theres anythnig I could do to help get it off the ground again let me know.

Personally whipstakes was my favourite series of the 90's, Id be a very happy person if I got the chance to race there again, and climb that bloody hill one more time...

And never having had the chance back then Id like to say thank you for all the work that went into it...

• Well thank you for your kind comments truely appreciated. Well fingers crossed whipstakes summer series will be back in 2013 (but sadly not at whipstakes farm) we have some exciting ideas for the race series - would love feedback of what riders would like to expect. Early days of planning
  • bigdawg
    My personal preference is for short course racing over the 'usual' hour and ahalf / two hours, with maybe a one off enduro type event in the summer...

Just an idea but why not have a word with Matt @ mud Sweat & gears and see if you can tie at least one round in with them as part of the south eastern series...

Theres still a lot of the old riders that are still riding a remember whipstake with a lot of happy memories.

If you don't mind Ill post your comments over on (a) the hadleigh farm mtb facebook page and the MS&Gs page here...

• Hi

Just set up a face book page whipstakes summer series https://www.facebook.com/groups/531758433506043/ with photos and newspaper article - spread the word
  • Whipstakes summer series is back for 2013 - website is http://www.wssmtb.co.uk

Check it out for all the dates and directions for the races for 2013
  • Hi,

Although the first one has been on already, Bedgebury is holding a race series this year. Six races in total, you ride for points that lead to a trophy at the end, good fast short course racing on Bedgebury's own race course that is not part of the normal singletrack.

Come and have a go! :D

Bedgebury Forest Cycle Club Go-Race Calendar 2013

MTB Short Course Races

All race meetings have the same Timetable. HQ is Club Training Area

0930 Registration

0935 Race Track available for Pre-ride after Registration

10.40 U10 Duration 10 minutes Area Christmas Trees

11.55 U12 Duration 15 Minutes Area Christmas Trees and Oak Plantation

1120 Seniors/Juniors/Women/Veterans Duration 60 mins Area Full Circuit

1130 Youth Under 16 Duration 40 mins Area Full Circuit

1140 Juvenile Under 14 Duration 30 mins Full Circuit

The Leader will receive the Bell so as to Finish as near as possible just over 60 minutes, all riders will receive the bell on this lap.

The Race Distance will probably be 6 or 7 laps of the Full Circuit depending on conditions.

Race Dates

Sat 20th April

Sat 18th May

Sat 22nd June

Sat 27th July Go-Race at usual times Go-Ride Races at 1400

Sat 24th August

Further Details from racing@boarsonbikes.co.uk

And of course as already mentioned, INSOMNIA is also coming up 6 - 7th July! This is a 12hr night race in conjunction with The Alzheimers society.

Ride solo, in pairs, or teams of 3 or 4. The race is open to everyone from serious committed racers to those who want to ride around and raise money.

For more info, see our website: http://www.bedgeburyinsomnia.co.uk
    What you give is what you get