Do ethnic minoritys ride ?

123457»

Comments

• passout wrote:
    A great question, I have seen many black guys & girls up at Cannock before, only during summer thow !
    This is also a good questio0n us snowboarders ask too, in recent years we have seen many black people on the slopes but NO asians at all, ive often wondered why this is as MTB & Snowboarding are the greatest sports on earth & everyone should do it ! I mean many asians I know dont drink, dont play football etc, so what on earth do they actually do with their spare time?? ill tell you, they play on their PS2's & Xboxes & listen to dodgy music ! apart from that they are making a lot of dough selling telecomms on ebay !

My conclusion to this question is that ethnic minorities just aint cut out for extreme sports !
    8)

I find it difficult to believe that you've read all this and 'that' is your conclusion......
    I guess that you are trying to wind us up, either that or it's you that voted the BNP in.

How have you worked out im racist? i said in my reply about my asian friends & how they just sit round on computer games all the time !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kona Coilair 2008 (Marzocchi 66's up front)
  • my conclusion is a joke !!! you know ! JOKE ! cracks me up, bloody do good'ers, you cant even mention certain things without people like you shouting racist at everyone ! :x

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    my conclusion is a joke !!! you know ! JOKE ! cracks me up, bloody do good'ers, you cant even mention certain things without people like you shouting racist at everyone ! :x
    People like you? PEOPLE LIKE YOU?
    My word, that's a racist slur if ever I heard one, quick, someone get me the phone number for the Daily Mail, I must complain about this immediately
    :lol::wink:
  • dbmnk
    dbmnk Posts: 217
    welshkev wrote:
    Great, thanks! I might be looking more into some guided stuff. The locals around where I live (Kyushu) know nothing of a trail. Well I can ride one course, but it is in the backyard of a bike shop and only about 5 miles round.
  • Dear me.

It's no secret that in Britain at least, biking is predominantly a white, middle class pursuit.

Other predominantly white, middle/upper class pursuits include:

Motor racing
    Yachting
    Equestrianism
    Archery
    Golf
    Rugby
    Tennis
    Hiking
    Hunting

Why this is the case I don't know, but it IS the case.

I'm part Asian part Spanish (I know what a combo!) but I have lived in Britain for 22 years, I am used to being in the minority :)
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    It's no secret that in Britain at least, biking is predominantly a white, middle class pursuit.
    Define what you mean by 'biking'. The only reason I ask is that there are far more people riding around on bikes in the poorer areas of Bristol (for example) than there are in the richer areas - they are all cooped up in their 4x4s.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Anonymous
    Isn't horse riding and hunting at least, primarily an upper class pursuit?
  • And fencing, you forgot fencing :)
    one life live it!
  • Daz555 wrote:
    Define what you mean by 'biking'. The only reason I ask is that there are far more people riding around on bikes in the poorer areas of Bristol (for example) than there are in the richer areas - they are all cooped up in their 4x4s.

Seriously you don't get what I mean? Ok, I mean biking as a hobby or leisure pursuit, IE road or mountain biking, not as a means of getting around because you are too poor to own a car.
  • Thread8
    Thread8 Posts: 479
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    Similar with skiing/boarding and surfing too - very few from ethnic minorities. Most odd.

saying that, my old school IT teacher was black, and loved skiing and surfing
    Haro Thread 8
    Please help!

"It's like parkour, on a bike"
  • muddybaker wrote:
    And fencing, you forgot fencing :)

And skiing!
  • Anonymous
    muddybaker wrote:
    And fencing, you forgot fencing :)

And skiing!
    Well, I know a lot of middle class people who go skiing, but the only ones I know who go to equestrian events, or hunting (as a sport) are the land owning upper classes, who don't work as such for a living.
  • Anonymous
    so are we saying cycling is a middle class pass time?

what exactly is "middle class" and why would this preclude people from so called ethnic minorities from partaking?
  • Anonymous
    I don't know why the class issue has been raised. I think somebody seemd to believe that because they were middle class, they were above the ethnic minorities or something like that.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    passout wrote:
    A great question, I have seen many black guys & girls up at Cannock before, only during summer thow !
    This is also a good questio0n us snowboarders ask too, in recent years we have seen many black people on the slopes but NO asians at all, ive often wondered why this is as MTB & Snowboarding are the greatest sports on earth & everyone should do it ! I mean many asians I know dont drink, dont play football etc, so what on earth do they actually do with their spare time?? ill tell you, they play on their PS2's & Xboxes & listen to dodgy music ! apart from that they are making a lot of dough selling telecomms on ebay !

My conclusion to this question is that ethnic minorities just aint cut out for extreme sports !
    8)

I find it difficult to believe that you've read all this and 'that' is your conclusion......
    I guess that you are trying to wind us up, either that or it's you that voted the BNP in.

How have you worked out im racist? i said in my reply about my asian friends & how they just sit round on computer games all the time !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is not what you said - see above.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • passout
    welshkev wrote:
    dbmnk wrote:
    canada16 wrote:
    I can see it now, some white guy biking in japan, the locals probably all turn their heads and go... look a white guy, , dont see to many of those around.... LOL

That'll be me!
    I really feel like the "weird white guy on the bike". Getting starred at a lot, but that applies with and without bike.
    Anyway, I've seen two other 2 other roadies out in the mountains during this summer doing my biweekly explorations of the Japanese countryside. When I went back home for a week I saw road racers everywhere.
    Mountain-biking, is just not doable here since all land is private. No trails, no nothing. The poor few guys trying to mountain bike here are restricted to public parks - how wild do you fancy that is? I really had hoped for much better mtbing. :cry:

ride guide did a thing about japanese mtb ing there was an american guy who lived there and the riding looks awsome, hang on, i'll see if i can find it for you

Interesting I lived in Kyoto for about 3 years a while back. Did some excellent rides and road but hardly any off road though. Love the countryside in Japan.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I don't know why the class issue has been raised. I think somebody seemd to believe that because they were middle class, they were above the ethnic minorities or something like that.

I can't remember if it was me or someone else who started the class issue, but joe_pineapples took offence at it and accused us of saying that the middle classes were "above" working classes, which wasn't the point at all, he seemed to be the only one sayign anything derogatory about anyone else.

Statistically speaking, people defined as middle class (me) are less likely to be from an ethnic minority (also me!), so an activity that has a greater share of middle class participants will make an existing minority even smaller. No-one has said anyone is above or below anyone else.

But I would agree that it is predominantly a middle class pursuit. I don't need people to come on here and say "I'm a mountain biker and I'm not middle class" because there will always be individuals who don't fit the general trend. I'm not saying "you're all 30 year old white middle class men who live in the suburbs" because that's obviously not true, but let's not forget, the people on this forum probably aren't the typical mountain biker. As well as buying expensive bikes they've got a computer and internet access and the time to contribute to an online forum. (side note, I remember a survey about the number of OAPs using the internet was done, said 70% of pensioners use the internet everyday....because it was an online survey, so the only people who could answer were those who already used the internet :? ) but it'#s that kind of thing that will skew the opinions on here, we need to consider the people who aren't posting as well as those who are.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • passout
    If you look at the govts stats - see earlier discussion - depends on the ethnic minority. Famously the Ugandan Asians, for example, have done very well in the UK - a lot of multi millionaires amongst them. Anyway I'd see the two issues as separate myself.
  • Well Ladies, Gents ,

I am what some of you would call ethnic and I may well go by other names courtesy of the BNP & National Front. Now I swim on a regular basis , a mile most sessions as our local pool is 33 and a third in length so 48 lengths equals a mile. Walking I find easy and it's great getting out and I will go out with or without my un ethnic girlfriend and enjoy walking a few miles during the weekends time and weather permitting. Now last year despite my physique being against type as some have suggested on this topic I dared to purchase a hardrock pro 09 from a white cycle shop owner ( yawn) and got totally hooked and was out on it most days and purchased lights for the darker nights as I know how hard it is for us ethnics to be seen or not as the case may be in the dark. Almost a year to the day I have recently purchased a rockhopper expert 09 and my girlfriend who is non ethnic ( please keep up) purchased a Myka sports disk as she saw just how much fun I have been having on both bikes. I have'nt taken any notice of creed, sex, height of those I have met out on the trails and I must say most have been very friendly that includes ramblers and those on horseback oh and the farmers . This is a quite an amusing post when the at one time Tiger woods was considered the best golfer and Eminem the best rapper so maybe we should look into their respective physiques and we could also ask president Obama to do this as he after all his mother was white and his father black. Just for the record I did'nt purchase my bikes from Royston Vasey. It's funny that colour is'nt an issue when some folk want to show off the tan from their holidays and then come up to me and say I'm nearly as dark as you , yeah right dream on you just could'nt make this up.
    Spokjunkie
    :lol:
  • Anonymous
    We're all "ethnics", as every single person 'belongs' (odd choice of words) to an ethnic group.

But, regardless, do you think that ethnic minorities are under-represented in mountain biking? and if so, do you have any ideas as to why?
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    Well Ladies, Gents ,

I am what some of you would call ethnic and I may well go by other names courtesy of the BNP & National Front. Now I swim on a regular basis , a mile most sessions as our local pool is 33 and a third in length so 48 lengths equals a mile. Walking I find easy and it's great getting out and I will go out with or without my un ethnic girlfriend and enjoy walking a few miles during the weekends time and weather permitting. Now last year despite my physique being against type as some have suggested on this topic I dared to purchase a hardrock pro 09 from a white cycle shop owner ( yawn) and got totally hooked and was out on it most days and purchased lights for the darker nights as I know how hard it is for us ethnics to be seen or not as the case may be in the dark. Almost a year to the day I have recently purchased a rockhopper expert 09 and my girlfriend who is non ethnic ( please keep up) purchased a Myka sports disk as she saw just how much fun I have been having on both bikes. I have'nt taken any notice of creed, sex, height of those I have met out on the trails and I must say most have been very friendly that includes ramblers and those on horseback oh and the farmers . This is a quite an amusing post when the at one time Tiger woods was considered the best golfer and Eminem the best rapper so maybe we should look into their respective physiques and we could also ask president Obama to do this as he after all his mother was white and his father black. Just for the record I did'nt purchase my bikes from Royston Vasey. It's funny that colour is'nt an issue when some folk want to show off the tan from their holidays and then come up to me and say I'm nearly as dark as you , yeah right dream on you just could'nt make this up.
    Spokjunkie

i don't think you have read this thread all the way through. it started as an innocent question from someone asking - alright maybe naively - if "ethnic minorities" ride not as an attack on individuals and never suggesting that certain people shouldn't/can't ride :)
  • when i was at cannock on saturday last week, there were loads of black guys & i was even speaking to 2 asian guys on the big climb there, they said they go all over the Uk & were riding PHAT Santa Cruz'es !!
    As i was showing off I decided to jump off the new northshore section directly into the tree on the left and blew up my new revelations & smashed my front Avid Jucy 5 brakes ! & allmost broke my arm , cut my leg open, grazed my back & shins ! all to the ammusement of a group of young black guys right behind me !
    Thank god the bike is still under warrenty ! it must have looked hillarious as my mate at the same time fell off the side head first into the swamp !

• Well Ladies, Gents ,

Spokjunkie
    LMAO - fantastic post. I've not bothered posting in this completely pointless (yet very popular thread) because the question posed is completely irrelevant.

The short answer to the post title "Do Ethnic minorities ride?" is quite simply "yes" just like the question "Do white people enjoy reggae?", or "Do the middle-classes like a bit of rough now and again?".

If you enjoy riding bikes you're alright with me, I make no preconceptions or attempt to judge or categorise any other individual I may see whether I'm on my bike or otherwise!
    Current Rides -
    Charge Cooker, Ragley mmmBop, Haro Mary SS 29er
    Pics!
  • steelo
    steelo Posts: 542
    On a slight tangent, but makes you realise what kind of urban jungles exist.

My brother used to work at an Outdoor Activity Centre in Hampshire, they would take school-kids on week long activity holidays from inner city London, in particular Brent. The question he got asked a lot by the kids was "who puts all the rabbits back in the cages at nighttime?" They couldn't believe the rabbits were wild and that no-one owned them as pets!

Some of the kids had never seen countryside before let alone the wild animals!
    Specialized Rockhopper '07
    Trek Fuel EX8 '09
  • Try Motocross - in nearly 20 years I've seen one black rider and one mixed race.....Can you still say that?

Cant imagine a more redneck sport - except circuit racing......Moto GP, 125's, 250. WSB, BSB, supersports, superstocks......AMA?
  • DO ETHNIC MINORITYS RIDE?

Of course we do, us paddies are evrywhere :wink:
    ole ginger b*ll*cks / the ginger ninja