PenMachno bike thefts

vmgscot
vmgscot Posts: 120
edited August 2009 in MTB rides
Heading down to Coed-y-brenin this w/e and was thinking of trying PenMachno on the way down (never ridden there before). However, a friend was there a couple weeks ago and heard about a rise in bike thefts from that location...like it was being targeted.

Just a rumour or has anybody any info?
vmgscot

Comments

• Fully
    Fully Posts: 257
    I would have thought it's difficult to get your bike stolen from there. There's not really anywhere to leave a bike tbh, no toilets, cafe, etc. Unless they had it physically robbed off them in person.
    Forget your heart, it's your bank i wanna break, it's just yer money i'm after baby...

A Few Pics
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    2nd that.The carpark is just a layby on a forestry track,no facilities.I've heard of targeted thefts at Cwmcarn,but not Penmachno.Unless someones left their bike in/on the car and gone for a wander in the woods,or left it outside the pub in the village?
  • 3rd that. There's nowhere for you to go and leave your bikes or even your car unattended. If you're not riding then you'll be on the way home. Find it hard to believe.

Several were stolen at Glyncorrwyg this w/e.
    Frank Yates
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    4th that. Rode Penmachno a couple of days ago - it's an awesome ride - look out for the tree branch overhanging the boardwalk (on loop 2) - catch it and you will be swimming in the bog :lol:
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I did read somewhere that one of the south wales trail centres had a problem with cars being broken into and bikes disappearing.

Penmachno thefts if its true that is one dedicated bike thief its miles from the nearest macdonalds a chav would die of starvation before he got anywhere near the place.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • vmgscot
    vmgscot Posts: 120
    "just a layby"....."in the middle of nowhere".....

Not sure I like the sound of that. I am used to jumping off my bike and being handed a fluffy bathrobe as I am whisked to the jakuzzi ..... I had assumed all trails centres were like my local rides (that's the 7-Stanes by the way) :)

Thanks for feedback.....looks like I shall be trying PenMachno then....
    vmgscot