Fitness Improvement Needed!

Goose2k7
Goose2k7 Posts: 67
edited September 2009 in Health, fitness & training
Hi guys,

Hoping someone can help me out here!

I'm looking to increase my fitness and improve my diet dramitacally over the next 3-6 months :-/ :? , as I want to start entering into some events next year but mainly for my wellbeing.

I'm looking for any training routines, planners trackers that can help me on my way as i've not got a clue where to start :shock: also been looking on the T'internet and struggling to find anything suitable towards Mtb'ing.

Any help would be greatfully appreciated! :D
Ride : 09 Trek Fuel EX 8

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Just ride, ride ride, and ride some more. Your fitness should improve quite dramatically to start with. Advanced training regimes can then be used to get you that extra few percent of race ready power and endurance.
  • Goose2k7
    Goose2k7 Posts: 67
    Done the ride ride thensome bit but time to take seriously and thats what looking for not noticing any real improvement at the movement thats why i'm ideally looking for a fitness plan!
    Ride : 09 Trek Fuel EX 8
  • Anonymous
    Goose2k7 wrote:
    Done the ride ride thensome bit but time to take seriously and thats what looking for not noticing any real improvement at the movement thats why i'm ideally looking for a fitness plan!
    Ah, ok, I got ya.

One of the best, and fastest ways I've found of building endurance is to ride everything standing up on the pedals, all the time. Don't sit on your saddle at all during the entire ride.
    It's an easy one to do, and it doesn't require any expensive new kit, or a change to your routes. In fact, if you're used to sitting down more often than not, then you may find you need to do shorter rides for a while.
    It builds up power and endurance in your legs faster than you can pronounce it :wink:
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Also run and do some weights - at home to make it easier.
  • rhyko7
    rhyko7 Posts: 781
    you need targets
    whether thats distance or speed or time.
    say pick a standard ride you do and time it, then try and beat it.
    or you could work towards endurance and keep increasing your ride distance.
    but to get fitter you need to be prgressing through targets.
    for years i have lifted weights and trained my anerobic system really intensly into zones 3,4 and 5
    i have recently completely changed my training to gain endurance (training below 80% heart rate), at 1st it was boring, but after a while i started going quicker and further and am really enjoying it now and watching the abs starting to poke through :wink:
    i have a similar plan, i want to enter some events, enduros mainly 30-70 km, the furthest i have ridden so far is 50 km, so my next target will be 60 km.
    i want to do the whytes level, the wall and penhydd (@Afan) in one go when the sun next comes out.
    Dont look at it-ride it! they are tools not f*cking ornaments

my riding:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/rhyspect

Some of my Rides Data/maps:
    http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/Users/527337
  • Dazzza
    Dazzza Posts: 2,364
    Goose2k7 wrote:
    Ah, ok, I got ya.

One of the best, and fastest ways I've found of building endurance is to ride everything standing up on the pedals, all the time. Don't sit on your saddle at all during the entire ride.
    It's an easy one to do, and it doesn't require any expensive new kit, or a change to your routes. In fact, if you're used to sitting down more often than not, then you may find you need to do shorter rides for a while.
    It builds up power and endurance in your legs faster than you can pronounce it :wink:

Im bizzarre, i find it easier to stand up and pedal than to sit down. :? :lol:

To improve yourself, easy pick a hill and keep on cycling up em, it'll either kill you or make you a better rider. ;)
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X
  • chris13
    chris13 Posts: 148
    I have always ridden sitting down as it is more efficent and results in less fatigue, but after riding with a friend last week who is in top 20 in uk and should win merida 100k this wknd i realised how much extra power he generates by getting out of the saddle.

I am now trying to do some of this but it is very hard after my relaxed, efficent style which is fairly quick anyway. I plan to start racing soon and am trying to ride as much as possible and look for more power in my riding.

Lots more hills and intervals at the moment i think. Painful but far more effective than steady stuff. Eat right and get rest as well as it all helps. Once you get to certain level you will need to periodise your year into chunks according to races and goals you have.
  • Anonymous
    Dazzza wrote:
    Im bizzarre, i find it easier to stand up and pedal than to sit down. :? :lol:
    I meant riding standing up the whole time, not just for climbing steep bits.
    Try riding for 3 hours standing on the pedals, it will massively increase your power in no time, I reckon.