Isle of Jura

bigal.
bigal. Posts: 479
edited August 2009 in Tour & expedition
I am off to Jura this weekend for 3 days and was considering taking my road bike with me. Looking at the roads infrastructure there doesnt seem to be a lot for road cycling.

Has anyone either been before or ridden there before and would the 1 main road be suitable for some short blasts from end to end.???

Does anyone know what the mileage is if you ride from end to end. I may have to consider riding over onto Isla using then ferry of course before someone points out that cycling from Jura to Isla might be difficult.

Any info welcome.

Comments

• mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    The person to speak to is prob. Brian Palmer at TWMP

www.thewashingmachinepost.net

He lives on Islay and i was cycling there the other week. Jura is (I think) one road whereas Isaly has a number of roads that you can crisscross the Island on. I'd avoid taking your best tyres - the road surfaces aren't great

There is www.islayinfo.com but I'd email Brian and ask him first
    M.Rushton
  • Alain Quay
    Alain Quay Posts: 534
    About half way up the island a deer fence blocks the road, or did till recently.
    That's as far as I have been, although I wish I had gone further.
    Roughish road but ok on a touring bike. Some good hills but nothing impossible.
    Important: Do take midge repellent, just in case.

The Botanic garden is well worth a visit.

Not much infor on the web. Some pics of the island:
    http://www.cairngormclub.org.uk/pastmee ... ul2009.htm
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    I'm informed that the road up towards corrievrekan deteriorates into a rough and boggy track well short
    (I'm meant to be going in October)
  • The Mechanic
    The Mechanic Posts: 1,277
    I stayed with my wife's cousin on Jura a few years ago. There is really only one road. We took mountain bikes but they were not much use either as the off road stuff was mainly too boggy. I wouln't take my bike again. However, Islay is a nice ride. Take boots instaead and have a nice walk.

PS - Cleggs (horse flies) were the biggest problem when we went. They nip something awful.
    I have only two things to say to that; Bo***cks
  • Steve928
    Steve928 Posts: 314
    bigal. wrote:
    Has anyone either been before or ridden there before and would the 1 main road be suitable for some short blasts from end to end.???

Yes, we were there for a couple of days this summer and I did the end-to-blast a few times.
    Road is fine, good even, until the top of the climb going North from Tarbert where it starts to get very poorly patched and rough (on the descent to Ardlussa).

Sure there are some other rough bits too, and some grass in the middle, but there's a lot of smooth good blacktop too.
    Definately worh a blast or two, and the climb South out of Tarbert although short is very nice.

DSC00072.JPG
  • bigal.
    bigal. Posts: 479
    Thanks fpr the replies. I have decided that I will take my road bike based on your comments venturing onto Isla will be added to the list of routes as well.

Only problem I have now is the weather and the wife.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    bigal. wrote:
    Thanks fpr the replies. I have decided that I will take my road bike based on your comments venturing onto Isla will be added to the list of routes as well.

Only problem I have now is the weather and the wife.

Can't help you with the weather, but if the wife is a looker, you could drop her at mine for a few days... :wink:
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • UKScooby
    UKScooby Posts: 41
    Jura - damn beautiful

Was there in spring and came away with too much whisky.

It is basically one road with a couple of climbs (the rest is just inclines). The main road is not bad - but to go off the side 'roads' a road bike is not the best. And yes - the gated road - never went up that far as cars are 'banned'

Enjoy !
  • UKScooby
    UKScooby Posts: 41
    Islay / Isla

If you do go there you may want to check out the local bike club - sure they won't mind you joining them. Called something like Velo de Ardbeg - get your jersey from Ardbeg. They actually seem to meet though at the Bruichladdich stores as the regular starting point - Sunday I think (afternoon only - the sabbath and all that)