Richmond Park TT

BeaconRuth
BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
edited August 2009 in Amateur race
Did anyone else on here ride the 2nd Richmond Park TT yesterday? If so, what did you think?

I thought the trip down from the Midlands was well worthwhile - a great course to ride in a stunning setting. Rebecca Slack and the London Dynamos put on a brilliant event and the whole thing was very enjoyable.

Ruth

Comments

• bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I was there, thought it was a great event. Bit disappointed in my ride but been feeling a bit off form after a bout of food poisoning a week and a half ago. Storming ride from you though, Ruth - well done!
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    I would have liked to ride in one of these, but I had already entered other events. I hope they do get the go ahead next year, as I would enter for sure.

Good ride Ruth by the way.
  • BeaconRuth
    Thanks! :D

Matt - not a bad ride on a road bike, though, especially if you weren't feeling 100% on form. A benchmark to improve on next time anyway?

SBezza, AFAIK and talking to Rebecca Slack these two pilot events have gone off without a hitch, so I'm sure the London Dynamo are going to want to run a proper series next year.

Ruth
  • Out of interest, how much of a problem were leisure cyclists using the park at the same time? I knew about the TT and stayed away from the park till after it had finished, but it is always quite busy with leisure cyclists early on a Sunday, and I was wondering how many people didn't know about the TT before they got there and were riding around while it was going on?
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    There were a few leisure cyclists about for the first one (I didn't do the 2nd). I didn't come across any personally on my lap so no issue there. A club mate came up behind a group at one of the turns that slowed him down a bit but you just have to ride for the conditions.

Also 'leisure' at that time of the morning? :shock: Ha ha

I look forward to next year - thank you Dynamo for organising a great event.
  • BeaconRuth
    TarmacExpert - Admittedly I was one of the earlier riders to start but I only recall passing a couple of riders who didn't have a race number. To be honest, racing on wide, open roads with no cars is such a joy that having to pass a few slow non-racing cyclists is no hardship at all. It would be hard for them to get in your way and hinder your race when you've the whole width of the road to use.

Ruth
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    Well done on your win Ruth!

I think events like these will prove popular for both newcomers and regular TTers. Quiet roads are good. Even better if the road surface is smooth.

There's a similar series being run on the Castle Combe circuit by dbmax.co.uk : 5 laps = 10 miles.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    You didn't too bad yourself at the weekend Jeff, you looked well please when someone told you what your time was, very impressive.

Must admit I have done one closed circuit TT, at Fowlmead near Dover, and it is nice not to have to have a eye on other traffic. I think closed circuit TT's are great for newer and younger riders entering the sport.
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    SBezza wrote:
    You didn't too bad yourself at the weekend Jeff, you looked well please when someone told you what your time was, very impressive.
    I was! Two seconds may not mean much in speed terms, but it was a big barrier to get through. Yes it was on the fastest course in the country but one of the things I really enjoyed was the quiet, smooth roads.

Well done yourself too!
    Must admit I have done one closed circuit TT, at Fowlmead near Dover, and it is nice not to have to have a eye on other traffic. I think closed circuit TT's are great for newer and younger riders entering the sport.
    Yes, definitely. Blenheim Palace is another good one.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports