KS i900r problems

DIESELind
DIESELind Posts: 19
edited November 2009 in MTB general
ive got the KS i900r and was wondering if anyone knows why the stancion scratches on the rear? Ive heard a lot of people getting this so it must be a common fault. there are 3 marks on the rear? and who do i speak to in the UK about this? do i send it back to my LBS or Taiwan as some people i have spoken to have?

Its been an awesome post up until today
If your not falling off, your not riding fast enough!

Cube Fritzz 2008

GT Aggressor XC 1 2010

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    First your warranty is with the place that you purchased the post from.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Thanx! get on to them tomorrow! :D

Cube Fritzz 2008

GT Aggressor XC 1 2010
  • grumsta
    grumsta Posts: 994
    Yup happened to my i900 too - also goes down of it's own accord. :(
  • mine would not come back up after being pushed down today. this is the 1st time its happened and the marks have shown. What you do about yours, LBS?

Cube Fritzz 2008

GT Aggressor XC 1 2010
  • mr_mills
    mr_mills Posts: 79
    i900 no.1: scratches on back, seat clamp started to unscrew itself from the post, seat gradually worked its way backwards even when clamped as tight as I could get it.

Got replacement from Leisure Lakes (after 3 rides!).

i900 no.2: all of the above, except that the clamp hasn't started unscrewing (yet!). And now I've put some Loctite on the clamp bolt. Seat still moves though.
  • got onto the LBS today and they gave me an address to send the post to. they said just send a covering letter and a copy of the reciept (may not be necessary tho).

ive got the address so i'll put it up for anyone else to use

Pure Race
    Unit 21
    Gateway Park
    Roman Way
    South Hykeham
    Lincoln
    LN6 9UH

Cube Fritzz 2008

GT Aggressor XC 1 2010
  • Beginning to realise that I made the right choice getting a Joplin, although they too have had their fair-share of problems!
  • i personally think that because these post are relatively new that they are all going to get their problems.

just wish it wasnt mine lol

Cube Fritzz 2008

GT Aggressor XC 1 2010
  • yoohoo999
    yoohoo999 Posts: 940
    i can't wait until an engineer with half a brain manages to design one of these things that actually works consistently and doesn't cost around 10% of the value of your bike!

i mean seriously, I look around me at all of the wonderfully engineered products (not just for MTBing) that solve far more complex problems and can't help but think that someone is about to have a eureka moment and actually crack this one.

I underatand there are inherent problems with these posts due to the environment they function in and how they are used - however that doesn't stop Fox from producing suspension products that can only be described as genious.

I would imagine it's all about R&D funding. The solution is quite clearly out there, but there just isn't enough money in the resultant product for anyone to spend the necessary R&D developing it.

How much is the Specialized Command Post? I mean come on.
  • yoohoo999 wrote:
    I underatand there are inherent problems with these posts due to the environment they function in and how they are used - however that doesn't stop Fox from producing suspension products that can only be described as genious.

It's interesting that neither Fox nor RockShox have produced one of these posts - I wonder do they know something that others don't ....?
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    might buy an old set of talas forks and see if i can bodge something...

I mean the forces on a fork are much harder than a seatpost surely, well maybe not as constant.

I'd imagine most of the issues comes from the mud being flicked into the mechanism from the back wheel and the narrow diameter. I mean a 34 odd mm seatpost will have about a 32mm slider wont it... that's basically a fork leg.
  • jmasterp
    jmasterp Posts: 30
    I've had no end of problems with my I900. Its currently back at Superstar components for a 4th time, and its looking like i may be needing to take the guy to court to get my money back.

I find that every time i have sent the post back i get accused of installing it wrong or over tightening it, basically he tries to make out that i'm an idiot.

My advice would be that if you are having problems fight for your money back and try some other post from a reputable manufacturer. I've had a Joplin and I'm currently running a Specialized command post, which is running perfect at the moment.

Avoid the I900, if nothing else they don't have the customer service to back up a shoddy product
  • Just a bit of an update with regards the i900 post, i finally got my refund yesterday, all it took was to send the post back four times and two letters threatening court action.

But finally and end to 12 months of having to cancel rides through not having a post, hopefully the next 12 months will be problem free with my new specialized command post, and if not I know that the big S will sort out any problems i may have quickly without me having to resort to threats.

Learn from my mistake and avoid the i900.
  • missmarple
    missmarple Posts: 1,980
    If anyone is interested, this is the company website: http://pure.tibolts.co.uk

It should be noted that "tibolts" also own Superstar Components who do the seatpost for £89.99. :wink:
  • timmys
    timmys Posts: 191
    missmarple wrote:
    It should be noted that "tibolts" also own Superstar Components who do the seatpost for £89.99. :wink:

The £89.99 is a different (new) model; the i851. Seems to be less travel, much cheaper looking and only available in 27.2 seat post size.

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... d63f1c5a7c
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    jmasterp wrote:
    Just a bit of an update with regards the i900 post, i finally got my refund yesterday, all it took was to send the post back four times and two letters threatening court action.

But finally and end to 12 months of having to cancel rides through not having a post, hopefully the next 12 months will be problem free with my new specialized command post, and if not I know that the big S will sort out any problems i may have quickly without me having to resort to threats.

Learn from my mistake and avoid the i900.

surely in 12 months you would have just bought a cheapo common or garden standard seat post so that you could ride....or is that just crazy talk? :evil:
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • papasmurf.
    papasmurf. Posts: 2,382
    just as crazy as saving a ton of money and weight by just changing your saddle height if and when needed thge old fashioned way... :D
  • SPIRO
    SPIRO Posts: 200
    yoohoo999 wrote:
    How much is the Specialized Command Post? I mean come on.

Fortunate to have this on my bike, works brilliantly, so i guess you get what you pay for.

As with any new tech, prices start sky high and early adopters will always bare the brunt of eng issues.

Fork and rear shock suspension systems were the same when they first emerged in the 90's - time will improve seatposts in the same way.

• Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    yoohoo999 wrote:
    i can't wait until an engineer with half a brain manages to design one of these things that actually works consistently and doesn't cost around 10% of the value of your bike!

Gravity Dropper is very effective, and so far mine's been spotlessly reliable... Heavy, mind, and not exactly cheap but it actually works, unlike most of the competition. My mate's on his 2nd i900r and it's going the same way as the first, sticky movement and scrapes in the post.

People always use the conditions we ride in as an excuse for bad reliability on these things- Gravity Dropper just chuck a rubber gaiter on theirs, instant fix. It looks awful but it works perfectly. Or, to put it differently, most of the competition are most interested in making a product that looks pretty than making one which works.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Sent mine off to the distributor last Wednesday which is Superstar Components.

I recieved it back today all fixed. Thats just a 5 day turn around including the weekend. No questions asked.

I would like to thank the guys at superstar and recommend them for any other items you want to buy off because IMHO their customer service is exeptional!

I just hope this is the 1st and last time i have to send it off but if i do i wont mind knowing that it can be back within a week!

Cube Fritzz 2008

GT Aggressor XC 1 2010
  • can't wait until an engineer with half a brain manages to design one of these things that actually works consistently and doesn't cost around 10% of the value of your bike!

agreed

how about - Thomson do the structure of the seatpost and Fox do the "guts" (internals), and its made in a reputable factory with top notch quality control

I'd pay top dollar for that ;)

its actually a pretty tough design / engineering challenge when you consider the high loads in multiple directions on the common (non-telescopic) seatpost

introduce the element of adjustable (telescopic) travel, and constant spray from the rear wheel (throwing water and muddy grit at the seals) and its not surprising they go wrong

from what I've heard from riders in the USA and Canada, the Specialized Command Post has also had ongoing reliability issues, mainly related to "losing" travel
    Call 01372 476 969 for more information on UK\'s leading freeride park - Esher Shore www.eshershore.com
  • Interesting.
    Most of your weight will be on the rear of the post that's why I will damage there first.

I actually made one of these posts a long time ago. It was a very simple design, which cost me £5 using parts from the local rubbish dump.
    The only reason I don't use mine is because it bent! I was only using standard non-heat treated aluminium. With stronger stanchions it would still be working.

As some of you have mentioned, are the fork manufacturers looking into it?
    I would imagine there is more weight on the seatpost than the forks, not forgetting that there are two fork legs.