Clicking in First Time

kingrollo
kingrollo Posts: 3,198
edited August 2009 in Road beginners
I use SPD\SL cleats and generally I am fine clicking in. However the technique I use is to get the bike moving (sometime heel on one pedal ) - then click in. This is fine unless I have to click in on a hill - then I have a real nightmare.....noticed a lot cyclists just click in straight away ......how can I do ...or practice this ?

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,439
    Find a handy lamp-post and prop yourself up !!

Seriously, time cures most things - if you are in too big a gear, when you try to click in uphill, its a recipe for disaster. Always change to a very small gear no matter when before you clck out.
    Lean bike over slightly, click in one pedal at the top of the stroke and push with that leg which gives you enough time to click the other pedal in. If the engagement tension is too tight, then clicking in and out is problematic.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Thing is Ive been on SL'S for around a year - and still dread the hill starts. If I am rolling no problem - but if I have to get first time its a bit of panic !
  • bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    Get in a high gear so you dont have to push to hard with the other leg and just spin the pedal around. Anticipate the hills too and approach the stop by getting the gears....works for me everytime.