Why so rude roadies - why so rude?

124»

Comments

• peanut
    peanut Posts: 1,373
    just ignore them nitesight. Its the reason I rarely post here any more. There are lots of stupid ignorant people joining the forum who are here simply to troll. They rely on you responding to their immature comments ..its how they get their kicks.

Its very sad really that they are unable to interact and form normal relationships with others.

Just hit the 'ignore' option and you won't need to see their silly comments anymore
    nitesight wrote:
    Inadequate?

What kind of an idiotic statement is that. No. I'm bigger round the middle than they are but why would that make me inadequate? Or feel so.

The thing I love about forums is the many ways people read into something. If you write more than three words then everyone reads into things differently. It really is fascinating.

Example. Why would LittleBob assume that the female comment was derogatory. Your own issues coming through there I'm afraid. simply that skinny guys with shaved legs could well be female from behind. Hard to tell as the were in front you see and most of the distinguishing factors were on the other side. God forbid Littlebob should assume that I'd have problems being overtaken by a woman. I imagine most women who ride regularly would kick my ars* without much effort at all.

As for the chip (or chips which was quite funny) on my shoulder. Again, your issue not mine, So what that they are thinner/faster/richer that had bugger all to do with it. I felt that it may have been a contributing factor for their attitude as what other reason could there be for such disdain against someone you've never met other than a shallow opinion on appearance etc.

For those that read too much into things I'll simplify to avoid any misunderstanding.

I was polite. They were rude. Wondered if anyyoune had experienced similar from what appears to be riders higher up the experience chain?

Nap D Your dick advocate reply was the only thing that made me feel inadequate - you always make me smile using far less words!

I do love chips tho....

• joebingo wrote:

Anyway, the only people who I say hello to and don't get a hello back from, are the people on Hybrids and MTBs wearing normal clothes and no helmets.

+1

Thank goodness somebody's brought some balance into this. Roadies are always getting a slagging off for being rude. On my commutes/rides they're the ONLY ones that acknowledge - whatever bike I'm riding or the type of clothes I'm wearing.
  • nitesight wrote:
    Today was only the second time I'd ridden 20 miles. The last was Friday so only a few days ago. It was lovely, really enjoyed myself but the ride home was a bit of a slog as was mostly up gentle hills with heavy legs.

So there I am nearing home and spinning away in a higher gear to try and clear my heavy legs when I'm passed by two roadies.

Me - cheap jersey and cycling shorts, old Raleigh Airlite, 15st 10lbs and on the tail end of the longest distance I've done averaging 16 MPH with a max of 30mph at one point and very chuffed with myself.

Them - drafting so no doubt doing 40% less work, fresh as daisies and wearing what looked like rather pricey gear and bikes. Either not very hairy or shaved legs. (perhaps women? :wink: )

Why am I annoyed? They pass me but not at any great pace - going no faster than I had for the last 18 miles so as they pass I give a cheery "Good Morning!" & they BOTH blank me as if I didn't exist. :evil: They weren't working hard - no iPods or reasons beyond being a couple of elitist tw@ts. Not so much as a raised hand or look back and nod - absolute blank. You could almost imagine the thinking - "Oh Gregory, look at that puffy chap there, my shorts probably cost more than his bike! Who does he think he is being on the road with the likes of us?"

At least that's what was going on in my head - made me so mad that I had an adrenaline dump and could have probably caught the meandering pompous plonkers and reminded them that manners cost us nothing. Instead I fumed for a few minutes until a rather attractive young lady on a shopper said good morning and got a cheery reply in return - thus resetting the nob/nice balance to neutral. :D

Have to say that after 20yrs of MTB and 14months of road, roadies are in my experience less likely to acknowledge your existence. I am not bothered now, it did bother me at first though.
    Colnago C60 SRAM eTap, Colnago C40, Milani 107E, BMC Pro Machine, Trek Madone, Viner Gladius,
    Bizango 29er
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    ogre wrote:
    I find this really tiresome. A friend and I were out on saturday and while pausing for food, were passed by 2 guys (one wearing the Saunier-Duval kit). we both said some form of greeting, we were both wearing appropriate team kit for sheffield/derbyshire[/b], both on nice bikes - nbut why should this matter?

We were blanked, they weren't out of breath, they definitely saw us.

It's very sad really, i'll greet anyone suffering on a bike, be they mountaineer, commuter or BMX. Consistantly, the only ingnorance is from roadies. In general they're good, whether I'm FCN 2 or 7 most people are friendly.

BUT the Roadies are the worst for it......Why?

Whats appropriate team kit for sheffield/derbyshire?? Flat cap? 'Ob nail boots?
  • I like to say hello. I even follow them on their route sometimes and pester them. Once they've finished their ride I always ask them can I wash their bike and give them a massage. I then add them to my bestest ever friends on facebook. It's good to be nice.
  • peanut
    peanut Posts: 1,373
    roadies are a rude bunch of t**** to be sure. I'm a confirmed roadie myself and I never get a hi or acknowledgment when I'm out.

I always say hello to all other cyclists I meet no matter whether MTB leisure commuter or roadie I even say hello to people in their gardens and on the pavements.

Its nice to get a smile or Hi in return but it doesn't always happen.

There is nothing quite so certain to brighten your day and make you feel good as someone who smiles at you and says hi.

It costs nothing and has a value beyond words :wink:
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    I get hi's from people walking sometimes on the transpennine trail, I don't like to think of myself as someone ignorant but I can't really hear them over my headphones, I have them loud enough, or quiet enough so I can hear cars and I have eyes in the back of my head for the rest. When I'm in normal clothes on a road bike I don't get waves from people on road bikes, I do if I have lycra on though.

It's all about the lycra I think.
  • Must be something about the Bucks, Beds, Northamptonshire regions as everyone says hi round here. Even the last TT bloke I passed that was going at full tilt made the effort to look up and acknowledge me.

MTBers are usually the same so I can't complain but then I say hello to most when I'm about, old ladies/men out for a paper, dog walkers, runners the lot and everyone seems to give some positive feedback.

The only ones that don't are cyclists that aren't 'into' cycling if you know what I mean.
  • guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    Maybe you just have the right look Escargot. I'm mainly a roadie now, but I have hairy legs and stubble so the roadies round this way are generally not to friendly to me (Beds/Bucks). Doesn't matter if I'm riding a road bike or MTB the only ones who make the effort to acknowledge a greeting are the MTBers. People on a hybrid/BMX/commuter/tandem are generally just as ignorant.
  • NapoleonD wrote:

However, no one wants to be seen dead with me when I'm riding my road bike as I insist on storing my energy replenishing banana in my shorts. Although that wasn't too bad after I learnt to put it down the front rather than the back.

I spat my drink out laughing after reading that!
    Det. Sgt. George Carter: Do you know what, Jack? You're full of sh!t.
    Det. Insp. Jack Regan: I thought it was about time you made an intellectual contribution to this debate.
    Det. Sgt. George Carter: Boll@cks.
  • guilliano wrote:
    Maybe you just have the right look Escargot. I'm mainly a roadie now, but I have hairy legs and stubble so the roadies round this way are generally not to friendly to me (Beds/Bucks). Doesn't matter if I'm riding a road bike or MTB the only ones who make the effort to acknowledge a greeting are the MTBers. People on a hybrid/BMX/commuter/tandem are generally just as ignorant.

That's one way of putting it :wink:

I certainly have a look alright but it's normally me red faced and guerning up a hill !! Maybe people say hello out of pity :lol:

I find that really sad but maybe people are more sociable 1st thing in the morning when the hustle and bustle of everyday life hasn't had time to build. My mates certainly don't shave (legs or otherwise) so I'm the odd one out !!
  • Wappygixer
    Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
    I rode motorbikes for a few years snd nearly all bikers you met coming towards you would nod even though you didn't know them from Adam.
    I spent many years mountain biking before I came to the road and I cant remember a time when an MTBer ignored me when I said hello
    This Saturday just gone I saw 7/8 roadies out and I spoke to all and nodded and not one replied.
    I think MTBing is more socialble in general, its about having fun.
    Roadies seem to be more focused on mileage, cadence, speed etc.
    Maybe I don't get replies due to my overly hairy legs?
  • Wappygixer wrote:
    I rode motorbikes for a few years snd nearly all bikers you met coming towards you would nod even though you didn't know them from Adam.
    I spent many years mountain biking before I came to the road and I cant remember a time when an MTBer ignored me when I said hello
    This Saturday just gone I saw 7/8 roadies out and I spoke to all and nodded and not one replied.

Did Harley riders ever nod? In my experience they are the 'rude roadies' of the motorcycle fraternity.
  • FCE2007
    FCE2007 Posts: 925
    pepelepew wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

However, no one wants to be seen dead with me when I'm riding my road bike as I insist on storing my energy replenishing banana in my shorts. Although that wasn't too bad after I learnt to put it down the front rather than the back.

I spat my drink out laughing after reading that!

+1 :lol:
    Powered by Haribo. Zwift convert P.aul Laws [x]
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Wappygixer wrote:

Did Harley riders ever nod? In my experience they are the 'rude roadies' of the motorcycle fraternity.

I used to ride bikes, but I wouldn't acknowledge someone on a 'Harley', or similar bike... Only fellow sports bike riders....
    This attitude came about from being blanked by said riders after I had waved, flashed lights, etc...
    I didn't make a big deal of it, just ignored them!
    Now, as a roadie, I acknowledge all other cyclists... Most respond, some don't... It doesn't really matter.
    Enjoy your ride, anything else is a bonus. :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • terongi
    terongi Posts: 318
    I just came back from riding in the Alpes-Maritime in France.

First ride out:
    lots of roadies around - I try a cheery "Bonjour" and a little wave of the hand. No response. Blank stares. I return to my flat struggling not to believe everything the bigots say about the French.

Second ride out:
    I notice 2 French riders pass each other and give a slight nod of the head. I try the same and get a similar greeting in response from every rider I pass.

Sometimes it's just a case of finding out what the local etiquette is.

A more extreme (but off the point) example:

A new rider joined our Sunday morning Hertfordshire chain gang. He's from Eastern Europe. I made the arm-waving "slow down" sign as we approached a junction and he started sniggering. Apparently that's how prostitutes advertise by the side of the road where he comes from.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    nitesight wrote:
    Today was only the second time I'd ridden 20 miles. The last was Friday so only a few days ago. It was lovely, really enjoyed myself but the ride home was a bit of a slog as was mostly up gentle hills with heavy legs.

So there I am nearing home and spinning away in a higher gear to try and clear my heavy legs when I'm passed by two roadies.

Me - cheap jersey and cycling shorts, old Raleigh Airlite, 15st 10lbs and on the tail end of the longest distance I've done averaging 16 MPH with a max of 30mph at one point and very chuffed with myself.

Them - drafting so no doubt doing 40% less work, fresh as daisies and wearing what looked like rather pricey gear and bikes. Either not very hairy or shaved legs. (perhaps women? :wink: )

Why am I annoyed? They pass me but not at any great pace - going no faster than I had for the last 18 miles so as they pass I give a cheery "Good Morning!" & they BOTH blank me as if I didn't exist. :evil: They weren't working hard - no iPods or reasons beyond being a couple of elitist tw@ts. Not so much as a raised hand or look back and nod - absolute blank. You could almost imagine the thinking - "Oh Gregory, look at that puffy chap there, my shorts probably cost more than his bike! Who does he think he is being on the road with the likes of us?"

At least that's what was going on in my head - made me so mad that I had an adrenaline dump and could have probably caught the meandering pompous plonkers and reminded them that manners cost us nothing. Instead I fumed for a few minutes until a rather attractive young lady on a shopper said good morning and got a cheery reply in return - thus resetting the nob/nice balance to neutral. :D

I've just read this starting topic properly. I don't know why we responded to it. Shame, really. :roll:
  • yup pisses me off(shouldn't do I know..) when you blatantly look and either nod or wave and they just look at you and do nothing.

Fair enough if they don't look at you as they are either concentrating on riding or in deep focus like I do sometimes(don't look at another rider on the other side) , but when they look at you or ride past you without any acknowledgement I find it very odd.
  • terongi wrote:
    I just came back from riding in the Alpes-Maritime in France.

First ride out:
    lots of roadies around - I try a cheery "Bonjour" and a little wave of the hand. No response. Blank stares. I return to my flat struggling not to believe everything the bigots say about the French.

Second ride out:
    I notice 2 French riders pass each other and give a slight nod of the head. I try the same and get a similar greeting in response from every rider I pass.

Sometimes it's just a case of finding out what the local etiquette is.

A more extreme (but off the point) example:

A new rider joined our Sunday morning Hertfordshire chain gang. He's from Eastern Europe. I made the arm-waving "slow down" sign as we approached a junction and he started sniggering. Apparently that's how prostitutes advertise by the side of the road where he comes from.

perhaps the French forums are discussing how us English all ignore each other.... except for prostituting roadies approaching junctions..
  • From hearing the many stories I think I've been very lucky but I reckon most of what people experience is just the English reserved manner. I believe it's often taken as being aloof/unfriendly/etc. but we are generally very prudish and backwards at coming forwards.

There is a place that I believe is cycling utopia. A place where cyclists and people are friendly, drivers are courteous/mindful of riders and the roads are free of potholes and cracks. Sadly it's not here but in Germany where so many people ride it's part of the culture and drivers all know how to live with cyclists. I took my bike there and was amazed by just how lovely it was to ride round. A great shame we can't follow suit.
  • Over the long weekend (incl Friday) I rode around 200 miles and did a little experiment, i acknowledged everyone who wasn't in a car or on the pavement. This included runners, horse riders and all kinds of cyclists.

The result was that anyone on a road bike in replica pro team kit ignored me, I lost count of the number of Postal jerseys, everyone else waved and said morning/afternoon or gave a wave, so maybe it's just the wannabes who ignore us....

I was on my mtb every day, so very sore legs today!
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    I'd been out for about an hour yesterday, and all of a sudden there seemed to be cyclists everywhere. Coming towards me they were, must have seen one every couple of minutes I reckon. I didn't bother waving as they looked too 'cool', you know the sort, all replica kit and suchlike. Anyhoo, I found out this morning they were doing something called the British national time trial championships. Still, miserable sods. Not a single one of them could be bothered to say hello.
  • bobpzero
    bobpzero Posts: 1,431
    yep i made a very eccentric wave with my hand at a guy and he just nodded at me :lol:
    i think he was a commuter cyclist. i think its just were ever i cycle i never meet any other cyclists tho on extremely rare occasion i see a club cyclist. i need to ignore the lorry drivers because they ignore me.
  • over my last two or three outingsi think i've managed to perfect the "barely perceptable nod". it took a while but now i have a range of options from ignorance (if i'm shattered and gasping) to a cheery "good morning" and somewhere in between lies "the nod".
  • nitesight wrote:
    Inadequate?

What kind of an idiotic statement is that. No. I'm bigger round the middle than they are but why would that make me inadequate? Or feel so.

The thing I love about forums is the many ways people read into something. If you write more than three words then everyone reads into things differently. It really is fascinating.

Example. Why would LittleBob assume that the female comment was derogatory. Your own issues coming through there I'm afraid. simply that skinny guys with shaved legs could well be female from behind. Hard to tell as the were in front you see and most of the distinguishing factors were on the other side. God forbid Littlebob should assume that I'd have problems being overtaken by a woman. I imagine most women who ride regularly would kick my ars* without much effort at all.

As for the chip (or chips which was quite funny) on my shoulder. Again, your issue not mine, So what that they are thinner/faster/richer that had bugger all to do with it. I felt that it may have been a contributing factor for their attitude as what other reason could there be for such disdain against someone you've never met other than a shallow opinion on appearance etc.

For those that read too much into things I'll simplify to avoid any misunderstanding.

I was polite. They were rude. Wondered if anyyoune had experienced similar from what appears to be riders higher up the experience chain?

Nap D Your dick advocate reply was the only thing that made me feel inadequate - you always make me smile using far less words!

I do love chips tho....

It seems to me that your trying to categorise riders as being, thinner, richer, faster etc.
    I ride a very nice Pinarello Prince, have shaved legs also but that does not stop me acknowledging other riders irrespective of age, ppearance or sex.
    I often ride alongside some so clled "beginners" for a mile or so and chat but when out training on ride, usually acknowledge with nod of the head or shout of ello.
    Best thing you could have done with these two was to ride up behind them nd drft them. They did not sprint past you, merely rode past so should be easy to sit on them, then they would get pissed off and then probably have to go harder than they wanted to drop you :D

• Flasheart
    Flasheart Posts: 1,278
    Sunday's ride, my cycling buddy and I both noticed that anyone in replica kit or the like just blanked us. I wasn't like we cycle in baggies and T shirts either. We also noticed that they stepped up the tempo as they approached us, yeah like you can't notice that happening :roll:
    It takes no effort to smile or nod or even extend your hand slightly away from the hoods to acknowledge someone going the other way.
    The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle. ...Stapp’s Ironical Paradox Law
    FCN3
    http://img87.yfrog.com/img87/336/mycubeb.jpg
    http://lonelymiddlesomethingguy.blogspot.com/
  • I went out the other sunday for the first ever time ( i normally ride mon - fri) just got to the top of a hill blowing out my arse as I'd really MTFU'd to be greeted by 15 bloody club riders coming in the opposite direction who all said hello. I thought I was gonna fall off my bike with hypoxia by the time I'd gone past them. It's hard work trying to breath and say hello at the same time while trying not to show how bolloxed you are. Trust me to find the only bunch of nice roadies at the worst time possible.
    I'll stick to my mid week riding now where I only see 1 maybe 2 riders max.
    Where I get acknowledged by the other roadies and looked at as if I'm stupid by guys commuting to home/work on their £99 halford special full sussers.,
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    I went out the other sunday for the first ever time ( i normally ride mon - fri) just got to the top of a hill blowing out my ars* as I'd really MTFU'd to be greeted by 15 bloody club riders coming in the opposite direction who all said hello. I thought I was gonna fall off my bike with hypoxia by the time I'd gone past them. It's hard work trying to breath and say hello at the same time while trying not to show how bolloxed you are. Trust me to find the only bunch of nice roadies at the worst time possible.I'll stick to my mid week riding now where I only see 1 maybe 2 riders max.
    Where I get acknowledged by the other roadies and looked at as if I'm stupid by guys commuting to home/work on their £99 halford special full sussers.,

Sods Law, mate.... made me laugh like f*ck, such was your description, I could imagine seeing you!... :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • in honesty I skipped a lot of the replies, but felt that nothing really deterred from the main point....

People are people....... there are always those that will drag humanity down to its lowest ebb.

It really doesnt matter if they have a bike between their legs, or a speedboat wrapped around their middle aged waist. Ive managed bars/pubs/clubs/restaurants for nearly 12 years, and no matter how opulent the surroundings, there is always the one that drags everything into the gutter!

People are people. how will you respond? that is the deciding element to this!
    exercise.png
  • out for two hours today and i said hello to every roadie that i saw. got a wave/nod/hello back every time.

but not sure if i would have got anything if i hadn't said it first......