Tour thoughts on beef jerky as bike food

Flanker37
Flanker37 Posts: 70
edited September 2009 in Health, fitness & training
For a long time this stuff wasn't available in the UK, and i always wondered what they were on about every time i heard it in the movies. But now i love the stuff, readily available in 3 flavors at ASDA...... I am still waiting to see turkey jerkey however.

Point is, is it any good to nibble on a bike ride. You don't get much in a packet, and like it says on the back... a hundred cows were flattened to make a single bag (slight exaggeration i know)

What other supermarket off the shelf stuff is good for a ride, just food wise.

I allready know about fig rolls & malt loaf, but what else is there.

the reason i ask, is i am doing a mega ride from Newcastle to Coniston across hartside top (elv. 1304ft) pulling one of these http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... iler-17016

and as i am still buying kit for my bike, i cannot afford or have the time to buy proper bike food, gels or powders

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    What? How can you not have time to buy gels etc, but have plenty of time to buy flattened cows?

Anyway, sounds like I should try this beef jerky stuf. Several friends who've been to the states have told me about it.
  • Powder based Meal Replacements are far cheaper than Jerky to purchase and have a far better make up of nutrients and macro's; Jerky is simply Protein and a little Sugar, is very slow to digest and as a result certainly won't provide you with much energy during a bike ride.

Some decent Meal Replacement Powders can be had online for a decent price or just settle for something like the humble flapjack which will give you great fast and slow energy release.
    Chas Roberts - DOGSBOLX
  • too much salt.
  • SimonM83
    SimonM83 Posts: 22
    Any meat products which do not require refrigeration = stomach cancer. Massively processed & probably the leftover connective tissue, and from bonvine given growth hormones. Avoid more than the plague.

That's just my opinion, so prove me wrong.
  • mikey0303
    mikey0303 Posts: 134
    too much salt and saturated fats - I would avoid it
    Cube Attempt 2011
  • Maxticate
    Maxticate Posts: 193
    Beef Jerky is not high in saturated fats.

It doesn't contain connective tissue any more than a steak you'd buy from a super market would.

It's effectively just dried beef.

Check this link out out, I've had Jerky from these people and it is by far superior to the stuff you get in the supermarkets.

http://www.wildwestjerky.co.uk/history.htm
  • Maxticate
    its too salty.
  • What you need is Biltong...
  • Maxticate
    Maxticate Posts: 193
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    Maxticate
    its too salty.

Just drink more water and to hell with the hypertension :D

More seriously though without looking at the nutrition table on the back of a packet it may well be far too salty.

Also depending on how it is made, nitrites have been thought to cause cancer.

I still like it though.
  • furby
    furby Posts: 200
    It lacks carbs and sugars so rubbish for eating whilst cycling but the high protien levels would mean its ok afterwards to aid recovery.

As for not affording fancy drinks, bars and powders, beef jerky is expensive aswell!!
  • we occasionally gave jerky to the dog. It stinks so I'd never think of eating it myself. it's vile :shock:
    Start Weight 18st 13lbs March 2009
    17st 10lbs August 2009
    17st 4lbs October 2009
    15st 12lbs December 2010

Final planned weight 12st 7lbs
  • If your diet doesn't contain much salt to begin with, beef jerky may not be salty enough:

http://ironman.com/training/nutrition/e ... ation-plan

FYI: 3300mg of salt is about 1 teaspoon.
  • Noel PT
    Noel PT Posts: 627
    Jerky is not a good snack mate, like someone said earlier there are no carbs and you need a 4 to 1 ratio while training. Crumpets, dried fruit, energy bars or snack bars all make good snacks.

Avoid to much protein while riding. I grew up eating biltong mate, which is basically Jerky. But dont buy the crap ASDA sells, its full of other sh!t. If you enojoy Jerky rather go to a butcher that makes his own. Its all about quality protein, not quantity.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Mmm, bit of crumpet :D