col du chaussy to col de la madeleine road condition?

inaperfectworld
inaperfectworld Posts: 219
edited August 2009 in Tour & expedition
another alps question as i have hunted on internet and not found a clear answer and the michelin map and ign map seem to differ about the sort of road surface that goes north from col du chaussy to join the madeleine between lonchamp and the col (via lac du loup). michelin indicates a section of footpath (rf) and then unmade road. ign shows it as a continuous road (ie no footpath) with the higher end not regularly maitained. so is it rideable on a road bike?
you can join the madeleine road at a point much earler, but this loses some 800 metres of height and joins not far beyond the madeleine start. madeleine is tough enough as it is without losing 800metres on the way up
anyone ridden/tried tio ride it?

Comments

• dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Google Earth?
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    I've ridden over C. de Chaussy then via Bonvillard onward to eventually join the Madeleine above St. Francois-Longchamp.
    If I remember right, the descent from the top to Bonvillard was in very poor condition (asphalt broken up in many places, so the crushed rock beneath showing through). From Bonvillard the track (not footpath) heading north was just earth and crushed rock*. But by taking it easy and being careful, it was rideable, but mountain bike tyres and frame would have been more appropriate.

After the small lake, you go up and over a ridge and can see St. Francois-L down below on the left and the C. de Madeleine ahead in the distance. The C. de Chaussy is at about 1530 m, Bonvillard about 1330m, the lake about 1530 m, and this ridge about 1900 m. The track then gradually drops to join the Madeleine road at about 1800 m elevation, about 1.5 km past St. Francois-L, so about 3 km short of the top of the C. de Madeleine.

*I've heard the first part of the track from Bonvillard is now asphalted, but my source wasn't able to say for how far - maybe to the lake?