Undies

Druid \'64
Druid \'64 Posts: 30
edited September 2009 in MTB beginners
Just read the very funny post about bum cream for lycra but what about people like me who wear baggies - if i go comando i might die :shock: (well wish i had anyway!)
are there any suggestions?

PS. i dont have any spare cash so no "get these they're only £40" replies please, it just makes me fel poorer :?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    lycra under the baggies if you spend any time sat down.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Flenser
    Flenser Posts: 372
    I wear pain old boxers under my baggies. No drawbacks that I've found so far.
    Claud Bulter Cape Wrath D27 (2009)
    Raleigh MaxLite FS1 (2001)
  • nicklouse wrote:
    lycra under the baggies if you spend any time sat down.

err..... not very fit - overweight - smoker :oops: So yes i sit most of the time. I was riding a lot 5 years ago then i stopped. getting back to it again, want to loose a stone and quit the fags.
    i did a 10 mile loop yesterday (on the road) and it felt good so every other day to get the cadio vascular back up. Getting a bit of chaffing from my old aldi / liddle padded briefs so i thought i would ask what the options are?
  • +1 for the lycra under the baggies.
    If nothing else it keeps everything pointing the right way, if you know what I mean :oops:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    +1 for the lycra under the baggies.
    If nothing else it keeps everything pointing the right way, if you know what I mean :oops:
    :lol:

That's actually the main reason I wear mine on longer rides. Normal boxers kind of bungh up uncomfortably on rides over about 2 hours.
  • skullthaw
    skullthaw Posts: 321
    i aggree anything over 2 hours lycra and baggies ontop much more comfortable
    i bet those amatomical undershorts are ok

try talcum powder to stop the sweat and reduce chaffing
    2 Broken fingers broken again... F@$%^£g hell that hurt!!!

92% of teenagers have turned to rap. If your one of the 8% that still listens to real music put this in your sig.
    METAL!!!!!
  • I bought some endura coolmax boxers & they feel so wrong. the pad seems to be a bit too big and the waist band/legs seem so wrong too. way too long. I rode yesterday in boxer trunks which were a better fit but obviously still leave the problem of uncomfortable arse & sweaty loins. I'm thinking of buying some anti-chaffing cream tbh as I don't think lycra would get on with me yet whilst I still need to lose a lot of weight.
    Start Weight 18st 13lbs March 2009
    17st 10lbs August 2009
    17st 4lbs October 2009
    15st 12lbs December 2010

Final planned weight 12st 7lbs
  • Anonymous
    lycra would get on with me yet whilst I still need to lose a lot of
    weight.
    You'll be fine with them under your baggies.
    Men shouldn't wear lycra on the outside anwyay, regardless of physique, there's far too much stuff going on down there that shouldn't be seen :lol:
  • Anonymous
    Eh, are you saying that Shaun Palmer is the reason us men have our "junk" at the front?
    I'm pretty sure I had mine since before Palmer was around :shock:
  • No, but he was the first to wear baggy clothing when road-bike type lycra was the norm.
  • Anonymous
    Hmm. Again, I've been wearing normal clothes long before he was around.

(see, I told you I could be an arse :lol: )
  • lycra would get on with me yet whilst I still need to lose a lot of
    weight.
    You'll be fine with them under your baggies.
    Men shouldn't wear lycra on the outside anwyay, regardless of physique, there's far too much stuff going on down there that shouldn't be seen :lol:

any idea of what i should be looking at product wise then ? :)
    Start Weight 18st 13lbs March 2009
    17st 10lbs August 2009
    17st 4lbs October 2009
    15st 12lbs December 2010

Final planned weight 12st 7lbs
  • Well maybe consider a gel padded seat cover rather than lycra shorts and just wear loose undies to let some air in.
  • Briefs & baggy shorts ok for short rides. But I almost always wear padded shorts under baggies these days as I find it much more comfortable. Not tried them, but my local Tesco had some cheap padded lycra shorts last time I looked.

(BTW, Druid, I'm also an overweight smoker, but keep at it and the fitness really will build up. When I first started a 5 mile ride was knackering. Now 2 years later I can do nearly 10 times as much).
  • chubby666
    chubby666 Posts: 116
    Deffo go with the lycra padded under yer baggies , i would'nt leave home without them :wink:
  • chubby666 wrote:
    Deffo go with the lycra padded under yer baggies , i would'nt leave home without them :wink:

I quite agree :D
    BAZZ
  • Terryg
    Terryg Posts: 115
    I always wear lycra under my baggies as well as boxers, cant ride with bear botty on lycra its not right!!.
    "I rock with my socks on"
  • Gonna have to take the plunge and get some, i have longs for winter but even they need something under them.
  • TonyS
    TonyS Posts: 104
    Tesco had some cheap padded lycra shorts

Got a pair last week - not bad for £5.95 and they coped with a 6 hour ride almost as well as my usual Enduro ones.

Probably better under baggies as they don't have as much angle of dangle control :oops:
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    i got a couple of pairs of the DHB lycra padded shorts from wiggle. quite cheap (not as cheap as the tescos ones) and I find them more comfortable than the endura ones.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • BOUGHT SOME! :!: Halfords £12.95 (shorts)

Oh my god, much better under baggies. Went out and did 6.3miles with 1,700 feet of climb and no sore spots :D
    Thanks all