Glasgow to Durness

Wallace1492
Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
edited August 2009 in Tour & expedition
Hi, just got a Specailzed Tricross, mainly for commuting, but want to tour a little on it next year, and fancy Glasgow to Durness in the spring. I wish to camp and have a route planned out. Anyone got any comments for one new to touring?
"Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"

Comments

• KeithG
    KeithG Posts: 1,010
    I think one of the main decisions that cyclo-campers need to make is whether to go light or "heavy".
    By this I mean whether to use rear panniers and a rack with maybe a barbag (or very light with a saddle bag). This would tend to mean only a very small stove and kettle/pot combo and a lightweight tent and minimal clothing. You enjoy the road and endure the camping, eat up miles and eat in cafes, pubs and restaurants.
    Or go with 4 panniers in front and rear racks and enjoy the camping more, covering less distance and slower but have a leisurely camping experience with enjoyable evenings spent at the campsite cooking and have plenty of clothing options.
    Personally I prefer the former but my bike is only built for light loads, doesn't have front rack mounts and gets speed wobbles if over loaded. I really only use a kettle for a brew at the start and in the evening and sometimes do a simple evening meal. I like to eat and eat out and its affordable if you're careful (I'm a canny Scot!).
    If you're going in "spring" you may need some warm clothing which may be bulky and heavier than what you could get away with in what passes for our summer.
    I think your Tricross is best suited for a high mileage low load tour which is a lot of fun.
    The best advice I can give you is go out and try it as much as possible, if only for overnight trips before your main holiday. Work out what works for you and your bike and what style suits you and what kit you need and what doesn't work.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Keith, thanks for reply. I am intending to do the light load option, eating out most of the time. My thoughs have turned exactly in the direction you suggest, although I do like my camping and have full (and heavy!) kit.

Today I purchased a Blackburn rack and a pair of Altura Orkney panniers, i do not intend to have front luggage or even a bar bag to begin with, as I know where I am going for first few excursions. Agree that I will try it for night or two before going to Durness, and hoping to do a 2 dayer in Mull in next few weeks.

Lighnes is the key I believe from reading about it, and talking to others who have cycle toured.

Many thanks!!
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"