cycling while pregnant

john74
john74 Posts: 254
edited September 2009 in Health, fitness & training
my missus is 16 weeks pregnant and is getting depreseed because she used to be into her fitness but was told to stop running. does anyone know if cycling while pregnant is ok.
2010 Forme Reve
2010 Giant Talon 1

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Don't take my word as gospel, but I'm pretty sure I heard that cycling is fine for pregnant women. I always assume they meant gentle cycling though, not mountain biking.

Maybe you could ask this in the "women's" section of the forum as well, if you're not getting much response here.
    Oh, and get your missus to ask her doctors.
  • john74
    john74 Posts: 254
    one doctor told her not to run or cycle but another one told her it was ok. its all a bit confusing.
    2010 Forme Reve
    2010 Giant Talon 1
  • check out runners world etc online. i've seen loads of articles about running while pregnant. its fine up to the third trimester. runners world have done several excellent articles on this in the past.
  • My wife cycled until 10 days before she gave birth - but she did have a small bump ???
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    The CTC has a "Women's Guide to Cycling" which covers pregnancy as one of the topics.
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • if she was running and cycling before getting pregnant, she is fine to continue.

The advise is not to start a new fitness regime when pregnant.

I cycled to work prior to being pregnant, and continued to do so until about 8 months pregnant. I just had to borrow my hubbies bike, as it was more of a sit-up-and-beg type position, as on my bike, found bump and thighs coming together too much so wasn't very comfy.

Other than that, just tell her to listen to her body, and not try to push herself too hard and it'll be fine!

HTH,
    Lou
  • I am currently 33 weeks pregnant and have continued to ride my bike. Currently, I only commute to work, 8 + miles each way in NYC, and just last week reduced it to 4 times a week instead of 5. . Like your wife, I rode before becoming pregnant, so the midwife said it was ok, she actually encouraged me to continue. If there are no medical issues with the pregnancy, cycling it's actually one of the best exercises to do while pregnant. My husband has been very supportive as well. For me biking does not only help me to be active but also with my mental health and therefore it is important for me to continue.

Something to consider as the pregnancy progresses is the type of bike. I have a hybrid, so the position is pretty much upright. Also, clipping might not be a very good idea in case you have to stop suddenly. Some people have had to change to a wider saddle and handlebars.

There are different articles about it, but one that I recently saw is at http://www.pregnancytoday.com/articles/ ... mama-3977/

I hope she keeps riding.
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    Now is the time to buy a recumbent!
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • Belv
    Belv Posts: 866
    if she was running and cycling before getting pregnant, she is fine to continue.

The advise is not to start a new fitness regime when pregnant.
    This is the advice my wife was given when pregnant also.
    I cycled to work prior to being pregnant, and continued to do so until about 8 months pregnant.
    There was a woman at the ante-natal class we went to that was still cycling at 8 months too.

No one on here knows her medical history though, so asking for a second opinion from your surgery would be best.