Canary Islands

mrushton
mrushton Posts: 5,182
edited November 2009 in Tour & expedition
Thinking of going cycling at Christmas in either Tenerife,Lanzarote (Club LaSanta) or Gran Canaria. ANyone done any or all 3 of these and have any preferences?

Thanks
M.Rushton

Comments

• synchronicity
    synchronicity Posts: 1,415
    Well here's your info portalfor cycling in Tenerife. Can't really speak about the other two since I've only ever been to Gran Canaria without a bike.

I only know that Lanzarote is flatter & windier (and some say more boring).
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    mrushton wrote:
    Thinking of going cycling at Christmas in either Tenerife,Lanzarote (Club LaSanta) or Gran Canaria. ANyone done any or all 3 of these and have any preferences?

Thanks

Yes, I've did all 3 Islands.....Lanzarotes highest peak is the Mirador de Haria at 600 odd meters...very very windy and not the most attactive...

Now the other 2....

Leslie will inform you all about Tenerife with his excellent website..(tenerife training).and he gave me much info for my Tenerife trip (and im back out in 2010)....

Tenerife - VERY hard...with around 5 ways to head upto Teide....monstrously long efforts but very well graded.

Do not miss the Teno Mountain range (masca)...brutally steep climbs around there...

You can read my own experinces here of Tenerife here:-

http://www.sportivecentral.com/index.ph ... 309&page=1

http://www.sportivecentral.com/index.ph ... 311&page=1

Now Gran Canaria....this is very serious stuff here....theres 2 climbs on this Island which are the toughest Ive ever encountered

1. Pico Nieves from Ingenio.....23% gradients...

2..Even worse...Valley of the Tears....10kms @ 10.8% Avg...25% aplenty

These 2 climbs are way tougher than Ventoux / Mortirolo etc...

Ive did much cycling here and you can read of my exploits here:-

http://www.sportivecentral.com/index.ph ... 317&page=1

http://www.sportivecentral.com/index.ph ... 359&page=1

http://www.sportivecentral.com/index.ph ... 360&page=1

I'd opt for Tenerife or Gran Canaria...both lovely Islands but prepare for a tough time....and show massive respect.
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    I've ridden Gran Canaria, Fureteventura and Lanzarote x 2. I try to get a decent map of the area I'm staying, but usually its just luck and local knowledge.
    Mostly I find trails after the 3rd day, then go further each time I go out.
    Zante was great, up some lanes, quiet road to a limestone quarry. Was 41degrees one day, and me in a full face helmet!
    Local bike shops have some maps, but usually not very good. just take loads of spares, water/food and go-with-the-flow!
    Gran Canaria: Did tourist bus ride thro island. WOW! Tarmac to die for, but, I think you'd need new brake pads and brown underwear by the rides end. STEEEEEP climbs, hairpin descents with DROPOFFS over 1,000 ft in places.
    Like the Alps but with cactus...
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    i've done Lanzarote and the main thing is the wind. It was so strong I got blown up a hill and it always seems to be in your face slowing you down.

If you can find some quiet roads then it is a great place to ride. Am going back there again next year and thinking of taking the bike to get some winter training in
  • I have done Gran Canaria every Dec for the last few years. Great road riding. Good cycle hire from www.free-motion.net (Cannondale bikes). They also have guided rides and there is normally an organised cycle race (more of a sportive) in Dec. This includes a time trial stage to the top of the Island (1995 metres). Weather is spring like. Book easy jet from Gatwick (70-90 quid) and stay at a cheap aprt from medhotels.
  • Does anybody want to share / join up?

I want to spend a a few days or a week from 23rd/24th Dec in Canaries, road cycling if poss, would like to avoid single person supplements etc...and have someone to keep pace with.
  • BUG5Y
    BUG5Y Posts: 8
    I can't count the number of times I've cycled in Tenerife and certainly that's my favourite of the Canaries. That time of year likely to have some rain in the north of the island.

Now if you like being tested Valley of the Tears in Gran Canaria (see RichyBoys' post)will give you that test, make sure your brakes are working and take more water than you think you'll need.
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Yeah, done Lanzarote X 2, Gran Canaria and Fuerteventura.
    All great but windy place. Did road/off road on all 3.
    Villages few-far between so take enuff water/food/spares.

Saw electrical storm on the last day in F/ventura.

You DO NOT want to be out riding in that...
  • Airmiles
    Airmiles Posts: 101
    We'll be in Tenerife over Xmas and La Gomera over New Year.

Am somewhat torn over whether to take a road bike or MTB... the obvious compromise would be to take the old hardtail but that's a bit of a liability on anything technical (V-brakes and 70mm forks)

What's the traffic like on the N side of Tenerife? Will offroad be less stressful?

Thanks

Miles
    I'm not saying pedestrians in Hackney are stupid.. but a fixed bayonet would be more use than a fixed gear...