What are the UK legal requirements on lights / reflectors?

2»

Comments

• sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    DVV wrote:
    I do remember a case when a cyclist ended up hitting and killing a girl. In the court case the fact that he didn't have pedal reflectors - which made his bike 'illegal' - was brought up, and reported in the press. I have no idea whether it was at night or not. Just an example. Nasty case.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -fine.html
    Nasty. And it wouldn't make a blind bit of difference unless she had headlights for eyes anyway, in order to reflect light back of said reflector at her.

Due to a little paranoia after reading this thread last night, I cable-tied a couple of red reflectors to the back of my bike. I don't have stay attachments for them, and my saddlebag takes up all space between saddle and rear rack, so they can't go there - so I tend to just remove them... meaning I had to improvise to attach them elsewhere...!
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    How about this argument?

If you have reflectors fitted (permanently) to your shoes and they are clipped to the pedals then aren't the shoes considered permanently attached to the bike for the duration of the journey? By refelctors I mean reflective strips, or other methods of reflecting car lights.

I guess it comes down to the letter of the law and spirit. I went for the letter and have bolted old reflectors to my two-sided pedals that came without them.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    How about this argument?

If you have reflectors fitted (permanently) to your shoes and they are clipped to the pedals then aren't the shoes considered permanently attached to the bike for the duration of the journey? By refelctors I mean reflective strips

Pedal Reflectors

Four are required, coloured amber and marked BS6102/2 (or equivalent), positioned so that one is plainly visible to the front and another to the rear of each pedal.

^ I doubt reflective strips meet those requirements. They're generally silver/white, not amber, and arent't marked with any safety standards, even if they meet them. They are generally only on the back of the shoe, too. (source)
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • How about this argument?

If you have reflectors fitted (permanently) to your shoes and they are clipped to the pedals then aren't the shoes considered permanently attached to the bike for the duration of the journey? By refelctors I mean reflective strips, or other methods of reflecting car lights.

I guess it comes down to the letter of the law and spirit. I went for the letter and have bolted old reflectors to my two-sided pedals that came without them.
    I would assume this would only work if the reflectors were:

a) amber; and
    b) conformed to (and are marked with?) the appropriate BS standard or equivalent.

I may (well) be wrong. But if not, I think you're going to find it difficult to get reflective strips meeting these requirements.

A niche for some entrepeneur on the forum?

And, in any case, unless they are on the pedal, it probably makes no difference whether they meet the requirements: if someone is going to be so picky as to make an issue of lack of pedal reflectors, then they will likely appeal for a strict application of the law - and alternatives will be equally unacceptable to them.

Where it might help would be in arguing about 'reasonableness'.

Anyhow - will be v. interested to hear about any interpretation of SPDs (et al) not being considered pedals but attachments. I suppose no pedals => cannot apply law about pedal reflectors, but I wait and see. It may be nothing more than legal opinion, but it would be an interesting argument nonetheless.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Well - there are two things to consider then:
      Do not use SPD pedals at night Someone needs to devise a pedal reflector for SPDs

As said above - I have two sided pedals (SPD and flat) and am able to attach reflectors to them, so I am covered

Which comes onto a 3rd point:
      We need to consider all safety / legality issues when commuting - which is a great excuse to have two bikes! :D
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Downwardi wrote:
    M520's are doomed then.

Not really -- my new Rockhopper came with SM-PD22 inserts on the pedals. I removed them, naturally.

They were a ***** to get off.

Those are only on the pedals so people can test ride the bike. And yes...they are a bitch to remove!
    Whyte 905 (2009)
    Trek 1.5 (2009)
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp (2007)
  • Snudge
    Snudge Posts: 40
    I don't think anyone's pointed this rule out, which may be applicable to a few:- As mentioned in a link above, you don't need pedal reflectors at all if your bike was made before 1985:-

Age brings privileges. To name but two: cycles manufactured before October 1990 can have any kind of white front lamp that is visible from a reasonable distance, and pre-October 1985 cycles don’t need pedal reflectors. (From CTC website so I hope this is true)

Works for me, all my bikes fit into the above categories.
  • Those are only on the pedals so people can test ride the bike. And yes...they are a ***** to remove!
    And I paid extra to get the PD22s on mine :?

Just need to attach the SPDs to the bike itself instead of using the stock cages (only 10 months since I got them :roll:)
  • nigeve
    nigeve Posts: 82
    When the clocks change I intend on buying some inclement weather clothing. The main bit being a florescent yellow Gore-Tex jacket and some tights… I won’t be buying them unless they have reflective strips on them. I’ll also have front and rear lights (as small as I can get away with) and I’ll start using a helmet when I need lights…
    If a motorist hits me I would fully expect the steps I have carried out to make myself high visible to be taken into account…
    Incidentally a large part of my commute is a cycle route shared by pedestrians. It’s not unusual to find dogs on leads, people pushing Asda trolleys, gangs of kids on roller blades, prams, and kids on mini bikes with stabilizers and all sorts of other carry on occurring in front of me. I often cycle on the road because I find it easier and safer. And these cycle paths are certainly no place for fast road bikes. That in itself no doubt opens a whole new can of worms…
    Why are you laughing..? I'm not laughing...

14 year old Rocky Mountain Hammer S, still going strong, now on slicks...
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    nigeve wrote:
    When the clocks change I intend on buying some inclement weather clothing. The main bit being a florescent yellow Gore-Tex jacket and some tights… I won’t be buying them unless they have reflective strips on them. I’ll also have front and rear lights (as small as I can get away with) ...…

Why as small as you can get away with?

surely quality of lighting is down to how well you can see/ be seen, not how small they are? :?:
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • nigeve
    nigeve Posts: 82
    Yes you’re right… I just don’t like anything hanging off my bike (or my body) when I’m riding so I make compromises. I’ll be buying small lightweight lights… I’ve even taken to driving to the office on a Sat to pick up last weeks shirts and trousers and depositing a new set for next week just so I don’t have to take a rucksack anymore…
    What I really need is a touring bike that I can use on a Monday to make my laundry run and then a nice road bike for the rest of the week… (Always the dreamer)
    It also has to be said that only about 1 mile of my 10 mile commute is on busy (ish) roads… The rest is cycle paths and country lanes so I’m lucky that I’m in a position to be able to make compromises to preserve what I consider to be the purity of the ride…
    Why are you laughing..? I'm not laughing...

14 year old Rocky Mountain Hammer S, still going strong, now on slicks...
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,118
    Can I just say I am a cyclist and a lawyer (not personal injury) . I resent the fact that people say the lawyers will use it against you. If you do not have a reflector or lights on the rear of your bike then it makes you very difficult to see. That is just common sense is it not????? If you ran into a car that had no lights on would it be right for your lawyer to use it - of course it would . If the comment is regarding the guy who had an accident but had no helmet onI suggest you read the full judgement again. As you can tell i am a little pi***d off that us lawyers get blamed for everything.

thanks for letting me vent!

You must have to ride really fast to chase an ambulance on a bike
    :wink:
    <<RUNS>>

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    SecretSam wrote:

You must have to ride really fast to chase an ambulance on a bike
    :wink:
    <<RUNS>>

Nah, its easy to catch an ambulance on a bike- the weight of that vehicle will buckle the bike back wheel, so it goes slowly if at all- anmd therefore its easy to catch it
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • FOAD
    FOAD Posts: 318
    Lol..if I were a cop, especially a traffic cop, I would be embarrassed to actually stop and speak to a cyclist without reflectors if they had lights on...

I don't see what the panic is about really, if you have lights on (and if you are sensible some reflective items such as clothing or shoes) who gives two hoots about relectors on pedals...lol.
  • I guess the motion of the pedals is the/a key factor...

Must be thousands of bikes "illegally" cycling around at times of "seriously reduced visibility"
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • On the subject of pedal reflectors - what happens if the bike has panniers fitted? The pedal reflectors are invisible.

Is there an obligation to have reflectors on the pannier?
  • i dpmt think anyone will complain if you dont have pedal reflectors, i dont have them but i have good lights and a very reflective patch on back of my shoe which makes up for not having pedal reflectors, also most panniers have reflective strips on them anyway, i think the law on this is only there for the stupid couple of people who insist on cycling with no lights or anything in the pitch black, the pedal reflectors just give you something to see as you nearly run over them :lol:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    edited October 2009
    My front and rear lights include reflectors, so if I have one fitted, I have the other.

My SPD's have no reflector, but my Spesh SPD shoes do (silver not amber, but still......) to the rear of course normal pedal reflectors need to be front and rear as you wouldn't know which way round the pedal will be!

My Targus laptop bag has a reflective weave in it so the whole thing 'glows' in a headlight, I'm told by drivers at work they can spot it easier than anything else (including the rear light!)

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Being a saddo I checked the statute

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1989/Uksi_19891796_en_1.htm

Although pedal reflectors are defined, it is not stated (as far as I can find - I could be wrong) that they are actually required, there may of course be a later amendment, but I can't find one......

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • We just posted an explainer on everything you need to know about bike light laws in the UK, check it out:

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/arti ... now-48568/
  • Worth noting on the subject of reflectors, they have to be marked BS6102/2 or equivalent, the use of retro-reflective tape does in many cases give better performance, but doesn't meet the requirements. My hybrid is covered in retro-reflective tape, it's lights up like a Christmas tree, yet it's not strictly legal :/
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Has anyone ever been stopped for non legal reflectors or anything other than not having lights ?
  • jamie_b wrote:
    We just posted an explainer on everything you need to know about bike light laws in the UK, check it out:

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/arti ... now-48568/
    It was a good guide and was why I started another thread on the matter. I was curious as to whether anyone complied with the regulations fully. Also what they use to comply, especially with regards to pedals which imho are the hardest part to comply with because of the shape of my pedal. I've never read any practical solution for all pedals
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    Yes — but we can assume that modern manufactured products sold by reputable dealers in the UK will comply with these standards..

I challenge you to buy a front light from a shop in the UK that doesn't come with the caveat of 'not suitable as a road light, must be used alongside a bs6102/3 light.
    Can you buy such a light? I have been scouring for ages, and no.

So, you get into the argument about European equivalent, such as stvzo , and those aren't cheap or easy for regular folk on the street to come by.

Equally, the flashing lights must only be capable of flashing to be legally used. If they have a permanent mode, it needs to be bs compliant I recall.

I've got a copy of the bs somewhere....
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • Yes — but we can assume that modern manufactured products sold by reputable dealers in the UK will comply with these standards..

I challenge you to buy a front light from a shop in the UK that doesn't come with the caveat of 'not suitable as a road light, must be used alongside a bs6102/3 light.

So, you get into the argument about European equivalent, such as stvzo , and those aren't cheap or easy for regular folk on the street to come by.

Equally, the flashing lights must only be capable of flashing to be legally used. If they have a permanent mode, it needs to be bs compliant I recall.

Firstly and purely to add context, not a lot of people know that LED lighting on cars doesn't actually comply with the UK vehicle lighting regulations, we have them on cars because they're allowed in European regulations.

I strongly suspect that the same sort of red tape applies to bicycle lights, the regs are probably so out dated (and indeed a quick check reveals that BS6102/3 dates back to 1986) that they have to use incandescent bulbs and be powered D cell batteries OR a dynamo to meet the requirements to be marked with BS6102/3.
    Again it's a suspicion, but stuff like this is very common.
  • fenix
    Oh hang on - then post brexit do we have to smash all the LED car lights ?
  • Fenix wrote:
    Has anyone ever been stopped for non legal reflectors or anything other than not having lights ?

Almost certainly not. I did a fairly short piece a while back.
    https://roubaixcycling.cc/2015/11/29/li ... ra-action/
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Yes — but we can assume that modern manufactured products sold by reputable dealers in the UK will comply with these standards..

It's a weird and outdated world where using a Lezyne Super Drive might see you break the law but finding a good old Ever Ready on ebay and mounting it on your forks should be ok.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • bigmonka
    bigmonka Posts: 361
    I've just ordered some 3M Scotchlite black but reflective tape to put on my frame, fork and mudguards. I was also thinking of putting some on the back of my SPD shoes to make up for the lack of pedal reflectors (not using orange though!)
  • fenix
    Fenix wrote:

Almost certainly not. I did a fairly short piece a while back.
    https://roubaixcycling.cc/2015/11/29/li ... ra-action/

Excellent article there !

I do love my old seesense light - great for daylight rides too its so bright.